TV licence thread

2 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

It's going to cost the equivalent of 78,000 BBC TV licence fee's to process those pensioners in receipt of the Pension Credit.

Welcome to the mad, bad world of the BBC.

How much will it save them?

29 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

It's going to cost the equivalent of 78,000 BBC TV licence fee's to process those pensioners in receipt of the Pension Credit.

Welcome to the mad, bad world of the BBC.

Your Government transferred this work to the BBC, as they did all the costs of the 75+ licence.

10 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

I  doubt the figures. It must be the figures from down South but definitely not up North.

It sounds good though,     must be nice.

What makes you think that it isn't just the figures from the entire country, averaged?

11 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

I  doubt the figures. It must be the figures from down South but definitely not up North.

It sounds good though,     must be nice.

Having looked though the report, I believe the figures come from an analysis of the ONS Living Costs & Food Survey. That is conducted over the whole of the UK, and is the most significant survey of spending in the UK. 

3 hours ago, Ms Macbeth said:

That takes care of the very poorest.  The well pensioned retirees won't miss it, or the bus pass if removed. That leaves the great big group of pensioners who made an effort to pay into pensions, often from very moderate incomes.  They often find themselves a mere few £ better off than if they qualified for Pension Credit, council tax support and associated benefits.

I'm an early baby boomer, unlike later generations, we got no NI credits for being at home looking after our children, or in low paid, temporary part time jobs.  Subsequently, my state pension is less than £80 a week. Many women are in the same situation.  If I had no other income the state would give me twice that amount!  We currently pay for a TV licence, its £3 a week, affordable IMO.  However, transport costs are much less so.  Unaffordable travel would lead to more isolation, increasing poor physical and mental health.  Is that what society really wants?  

Very good points, and very important to consider the people who aren't at either end of the examples previously mentioned,

6 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Having looked though the report, I believe the figures come from an analysis of the ONS Living Costs & Food Survey. That is conducted over the whole of the UK, and is the most significant survey of spending in the UK. 

It does seem odd if the average spend is somehow measured as higher than the average income...

5 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

How much will it save them?

Approximately in the region of £465 million.   

Meanwhile the Eastenders set refurb is running a way over budget, currently over £80 million and rising & the new BBC Scotland channel has a good day if it gets a programme watched by 20,000 viewers. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17589166.viewing-figures-revealed-for-new-bbc-scotland-channel/

That's £465 million/year, now, but how much within the next decade?  The saving goes up quite considerably every year I believe, as we have an aging population who live longer and longer.

8 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Your Government transferred this work to the BBC, as they did all the costs of the 75+ licence.

Our government transferred the responsibility for over 75s free TV licences to the BBC - which the wealthy Lord Hall (BBC Director General) negotiated secretly behind closed doors. The greedy BBC was extremely eager to accept this responsibility in return for licence fee increases linked to inflation AND changing the iPlayer legislation which allowed those without a television licence to view it in the UK.

The BBC plan all along was to end the free television licences for ALL of the over 75s. This will happen in a few short years. The wealthy BBC leeches have ensured that their greed will destroy the BBC.

31 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Our government transferred the responsibility for over 75s free TV licences to the BBC - which the wealthy Lord Hall (BBC Director General) negotiated secretly behind closed doors. The greedy BBC was extremely eager to accept this responsibility in return for licence fee increases linked to inflation AND changing the iPlayer legislation which allowed those without a television licence to view it in the UK.

The BBC plan all along was to end the free television licences for ALL of the over 75s. This will happen in a few short years. The wealthy BBC leeches have ensured that their greed will destroy the BBC.

Good. 

Taking freebies (brought is as an voter bribe by a former government) away from people who clearly dont have any need for it is a perfectly sensible business decision.

As for the rest of your waffle....  blah blah I hate the BBC blah blah.

PS: Have you sorted out your TV licence enforcer harrassment case yet?   Hows progress? 

Edited by ECCOnoob

I'm 36 and I've not paid my TV licence for 15 years.

It's completely unenforceable provided you just don't answer the door, and even if you do, just refuse to talk to them, close the door and they can't do a thing about it.

And you advertise that you're a criminal on a public forum...  Does it make you proud?