TV licence thread

£100 a week... The TV license is what, £12.50 a MONTH.  And bus fares?

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

£100 a week... The TV license is what, £12.50 a MONTH.  And bus fares?

My weekly tickets just shy of 120 a month, 29.70 a week

On 20/06/2019 at 12:25, alchresearch said:

Pensioners now spend an extra £100-a-week on drinking and eating out, report finds

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/06/20/pensioners-now-spend-extra-100-a-week-drinking-eating-report/

Do you really believe the average person over 65 years of age spends £388 per week on alcohol and eating out ? 

Do you have some reason to doubt the figures?

4 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Yes. In 2016/17 , the average weekly income of a single pensioner was £214 per week and the average weekly income of a pensioner couple was £452 .  I think it is highly unlikely a single pensioner is spending nearly double his income on alcohol and meals out . 

** Figures courtesy of DWP - 'An analysis of trends in pensioner incomes 1994/95 - 2016/17 '

19 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

I don't doubt the figures, but I think the cross section of pensioners from where the figures come from is most likely from a. Southern country club.Lol .Can't see them being taken from a local Red Lion on the middle of a housing estate.

Edited by Ontarian1981
Add on

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I  doubt the figures. It must be the figures from down South but definitely not up North.

It sounds good though,     must be nice.

3 hours ago, jonnyhonda said:

Do you really believe the average person over 65 years of age spends £388 per week on alcohol and eating out ? 

I'll have to tell our lass we'll have to up our game - no more visits to the local bistro with a bottle of the local plonk - strictly Michelin starred grub and premier cru wines from now on.

Just got to sell the house and camp on the lawn..................................

On 19 June 2019 at 12:23, Voice of reason said:

Exactly.

And it's a piece of cake no-brainer. On the licence application there should be tick-box if over 75 and on pension credit, giving permission for DWP to confirm free licence.

That takes care of the very poorest.  The well pensioned retirees won't miss it, or the bus pass if removed. That leaves the great big group of pensioners who made an effort to pay into pensions, often from very moderate incomes.  They often find themselves a mere few £ better off than if they qualified for Pension Credit, council tax support and associated benefits.

I'm an early baby boomer, unlike later generations, we got no NI credits for being at home looking after our children, or in low paid, temporary part time jobs.  Subsequently, my state pension is less than £80 a week. Many women are in the same situation.  If I had no other income the state would give me twice that amount!  We currently pay for a TV licence, its £3 a week, affordable IMO.  However, transport costs are much less so.  Unaffordable travel would lead to more isolation, increasing poor physical and mental health.  Is that what society really wants?  

Edited by Ms Macbeth
Sp

It's going to cost the equivalent of 78,000 BBC TV licence fee's to process those pensioners in receipt of the Pension Credit.

Welcome to the mad, bad world of the BBC.

Edited by Car Boot