TV licence thread

14 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

it's a ludicrous illogical comparison because all elderly people who have been paying for a TV licence for over 50 years have being paying what is effectively a tax to fund one single organisation.   All elderly people will have paid the same annual amount each year to fund the one organisation.   All the examples you have given fund thousands of different organisations consisting of different expenditure for every different pensioner over the 50 years.

I don't see how that makes a difference at all. People don't stop having to pay tax just because they've paid it for years. 

13 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

What is the argument that those who can afford it shouldn't pay for it then?

Age obviously ;) I have also seen D day mentioned a lot, even by friends, sigh

Sadly it's all well meaning but still boolocks

Just, they're old, so they should get free stuff?  No thought around whether they actually need free stuff or not?

1 minute ago, Robin-H said:

I don't see how that makes a difference at all. People don't stop having to pay tax just because they've paid it for years. 

If you genuinely can't see how it makes a difference then I haven't the patience to continue discussing this issue with you.

13 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

What is the argument that those who can afford it shouldn't pay for it then?

Means testing is the argument. Many poor pensioners will have too much pride to be means tested.  Personally I think all pensioners rich and poor have paid enough taxes throughout their lives to deserve the perk of a free TV licence.  A rich pensioner over 75 can send a donation to the BBC if they wish to.

Deserve a perk because they've paid taxes and lived to >75?  How does living a long time mean you deserve anything?

Just now, Lockdoctor said:

If you genuinely can't see how it makes a difference then I haven't the patience to continue discussing this issue with you.

Means testing is the argument. Many poor pensioners will have too much pride to be means tested.  Personally I think all pensioners rich and poor have paid enough taxes throughout their lives to deserve the perk of a free TV licence.  A rich pensioner over 75 can send a donation to the BBC if they wish to.

I can understand why you wouldn't want to try and explain the difference in a logical way - I fear you might struggle. 

So presumably you think elderly people don't pay council tax? They've paid it for years after all, and it's a tax, which is your argument. Unfortunately for your argument, they do. They can get  council tax paid if they receive pension credit, just like they will for the licence fee. 

26 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Just, they're old, so they should get free stuff?  No thought around whether they actually need free stuff or not?

You are wrong and out of touch.

For many people over 75 the television is their only companionship. Their window on the world.

That's why the BBC is being so cruel - putting the high earning BBC folk who are completely dependent on the licence fee for their lavish lifestyles before the low income elderly and vulnerable who are completely dependent on television to hear another human voice.

The BBC will always put the needs of the rich before the needs of the poor.

Edited by Car Boot

14 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

I can understand why you wouldn't want to try and explain the difference in a logical way - I fear you might struggle. 

So presumably you think elderly people don't pay council tax? They've paid it for years after all, and it's a tax, which is your argument. Unfortunately for your argument, they do. They can get  council tax paid if they receive pension credit, just like they will for the licence fee. 

I did explain it to you in a logical way  (see below  )  It is absolutely ludicrous for you to suggest the over75's should get free food and free petrol if they get a free TV licence for the reasons in my own quote below.   To be honest I think you're just having a laugh with your comments.

48 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

it's a ludicrous illogical comparison because all elderly people who have been paying for a TV licence for over 50 years have being paying what is effectively a tax to fund one single organisation.   All elderly people will have paid the same annual amount each year to fund the one organisation.   All the examples you have given fund thousands of different organisations consisting of different expenditure for every different pensioner over the 50 years.

I don’t have to notify the DVLA that I don't own a car (never owned one).

I don't have to notify the police that I don’t own a firearm.

I don't have to notify the local trout farm that I don't have a fishing licence.

Why do I have to notify BBC TV Licensing if I 'think' I don't need a TV licence? 

Edited by Car Boot

9 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

I don't have to notify the local trout farm that I don't have a fishing licence.

Why do I have to notify BBC TV Licensing if I 'think' I don't need a TV licence? 

I understand the point you are making, but to be fair to the BBC, I think it is reasonable to assume that nearly ever household has a television which is being watched.

Perhaps, the BBC should assume every pensioner over 75 is too poor to pay for a TV licence and only those pensioners who feel they can afford to pay for a TV licence should notify the BBC that they wish to be invoiced for a TV licence.  

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

I did explain it to you in a logical way  (see below  )  It is absolutely ludicrous for you to suggest the over75's should get free food and free petrol if they get a free TV licence for the reasons in my own quote below.   To be honest I think you're just having a laugh with your comments.

I think it’s ridiculous for people over 75 to get free food and free petrol. 

I also think it’s a ridiculous argument that elderly people should get a free tv licence just because they may have paid for it for 50 years. 

If that’s argument, why should they pay council tax? 

20 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Hows the harrassment case going?  Spoken to the police yet?