TV licence thread

31 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

In this digital day & age it would be easily possible to say I don't want any BBC channels, therefore I don't have to pay for them with a licence fee.  

I'm sure at one time the licence fee was only required if you were watching the BBC?  Then a few decades ago this was changed to if you have any TV receiving equipment.   

So it doesn't matter if you only watch tv o your mobile, you still require a license. 

"The requirement to hold a TV Licence and to pay a fee for it is mandated by law under the Communications Act 2003 and Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended). It is an offence to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on any channel and on any broadcast platform (terrestrial, satellite, cable and the internet) or download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer without a valid TV Licence.. "

Now here's a little snippet I found, if I read it right. I got a letter from the licencing bods about a tv licence for my business premises. It's just a lock up so not valid but there was the bit about watching the BBC on any device. Not just on tv but any device, so if there was a  driver or client  watching something on his or her phone (on 4g there's no wifi) while their waiting I would need a tv licence for the lock up because they're watching on my premises.

I didn't follow it up - it's not a situation that's likely to happen to me and frankly I didn't want to get them thinking, but it coukd be a problem for somebody like a doctors surgery or hairdressers. I might have read it wrong, I'll try and find a link.

15 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Wanderlust was another with Netflix, Good Omens is a BBC/Amazon co-production, Gentleman Jack(BBC/HBO), Band of Brothers (BBC/Dreamworks/HBO).. the yet to arrive His Dark Materials (BBC/New Line + others) distributed by HBO... are just a few....

Not to mention the other stuff that Netflix and co are lapping up like Killing Eve, Luther, Sherlock, Doctor Who, Line of Duty, Peaky Blinders, Top Gear, everything Natural History etc...

The notion that the BBC's output is of lower quality simply doesn't stack up to scrutiny, you may not like all of it, but that's public service for you...

Given the BBC's mandate and level of funding, it punches well above its weight (IMHO).

And strictly, that's been franchised out all over the world. Imagine if lots of foreign countries didn't take those shows, how much more the licence fee could be.

The existence of the BBC as a broadcaster has set the standard for all the free nations of the world.

It's independence of Government and Capitalism `renders it vulnerable to attack by those who seek to control- left and right, and to profiteers.

Murdoch and other media giants have spent millions on direct and indirect ways of 'discrediting' the BBC, with the TV licence as the easy target.

If the BBC lost its funding through licence, it would also mean the end of ITV and Channel 4 in their format. Advertising would hemorrhage from them to the BBC.

Most TV and Radio programmes are no longer made "in house" by the TV companies. Advertising  would drive down the innovation and range of programming Britain is famous for, throwing thousands of skilled workers on the dole.

At least lets be known for watching British drivel rather than American drivel.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

11 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The existence of the BBC as a broadcaster has set the standard for all the free nations of the world.

It's independence of Government and Capitalism `renders it vulnerable to attack by those who seek to control- left and right, and to profiteers.

Murdoch and other media giants have spent millions on direct and indirect ways of 'discrediting' the BBC, with the TV licence as the easy target.

Quite so, by far the majority of "BBC outrage", usually regurgitated in the Mail and Express with zero fact checking, comes directly from "News-watch"... a group funded by one Arron Banks!

https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2018/04/17/what-s-actually-going-on-with-the-bbc-and-brexit-bias

I think it's safe to say he's a profiteer :hihi:

11 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

If the BBC lost its funding through licence, it would also mean the end of ITV and Channel 4 in their format. Advertising would hemorrhage from them to the BBC.

I doubt Sky would get by unscathed either TBH.

The BBC TV licence fee is a relic from an age long past. In this time of thousands of channels and digital streaming, the BBC is almost entirely dependent upon using the force of law and threats to ensure its funding. Consumer choice is a 21st century democratic device which has no place in the world of the BBC.

I hear friends and neighbours are cancelling their ridiculous regressive BBC TV licence fee's and opting to live in 2019, not 1979 as the BBC wishes it.

Be progressive and ditch the outdated BBC. Send the smug, out of touch ruling class a message. 

NO MORE BBC TV LICENCE FEE. 2019 NOT 1979.

Not all older people want or can afford sky etc so rely on the more basic freeview  TV . The modern world has changed for most people but not all. 

14 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

...lets be known for watching British drivel rather than American drivel.

Like the BBC3 rubbish which is being switched to BBC1 at 10.35 most nights!

What a load of garbage!

Ben Fogle has donated his salary from one of his programmes to pay for pensioner licences.  Good for him. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/ben-fogle-donates-entire-salary-16510409

It struck me while watching 'Springwatch' the other night.  Perhaps one of the ways the BBC could save further money is not to employ the likes of Michaela Strachan whose been living in S. Africa for years.  Think of the money they could save by not paying for her to fly back & forth to present this & appear on other programmes, as well as no doubt paying her a sizeable salary for just being an 'enthusiastic amateur', when you already have the resident expert in Chris Packham. 

And don't get me started Ms Strachan. when you go on about the environment & people's carbon footprint.  S. Africa is hardly down the road. 

On 11/06/2019 at 15:20, tinfoilhat said:

Calm down you'll do yourself a mischief.

I am calm owd lad..it's the rest who seem to be getting their knickers in a twist...but you are probably a good son and will buy it for your owd mum as a mothers day pressie.... go in the "Nags Head" and spout your opinion in there,take willman with you

On 11/06/2019 at 15:21, the_bloke said:

The list of Victoria Cross recipients is available online.

7 were awarded to men with first or last name of George. They are all dead.

There is one living recipient of the VC from the Second World War, John Cruickshank of Scotland who is aged 99. He retired from a career in banking in 1977. There is nothing online saying he was part of D-Day.

It's amazing how easily people fall for fake outrage on TV thinking it's real.

Anyone could have wrote that email.

You mean you actually researched this to see if it was true...how sad.I wondered how long it would be before the  researchers came out  All working class O.A.P's should get it free

Ben Fogle has donated his salary from one of his programmes to pay for pensioner licences.  Good for him. ..i think they should put income tax up to pay for it too from all those in good salary paid jobs :D

On 11/06/2019 at 16:45, willman said:

. They should be grateful that they've manged to reach 75 and not popped off at 45.

What a nasty thing to say....but then again all you seem to do is moan about pensioners...another keyboard warrior that can only say it while being invisible.....I remember long ago when my parents had a pub,one of the regulars used to say things like this...until another regular put him on his back in the taproom...never said it again... ......a taproom is where all the locals would go for a drink play doms/darts/cards etc....just for anyone who didn't know what one was...

On 11/06/2019 at 17:35, melthebell said:

dont be silly, its got NOTHING to do with D Day, apart from the veterans being old, i see that's being wheeled out in meme land on facebook etc too. i agree with Robin, why if a pensioner can afford it should they get it for free? that goes for winter fuel allowance, and bus passes. The rich get old as well you know, as for the veterans themselves the war was over 70 years ago i'm sure a lot did a lot more in life, some might even have made a fair bit of money

So you think the ones who fought should get nothing.........the answers on this forum about O.A.P's make me ashamed to be a Yorkshireman.Personally i think it should be awarded to everyone at 65...... Just to say there is a post asking people to sign a petition on here by Gene...i have signed it...bet the're all wrong and all you saddo's are correct tho'    What a disgrace you all are...

Just to add the TV licence in Ireland is free at 70 (for now)....

read on....https://www.thejournal.ie/poll-should-pensioners-in-ireland-have-to-pay-for-their-tv-licence-4676899-Jun2019/

Edited by euclid

9 minutes ago, euclid said:

I am calm owd lad..it's the rest who seem to be getting their knickers in a twist...but you are probably a good son and will buy it for your owd mum as a mothers day pressie.... go in the "Nags Head" and spout your opinion in there,take willman with you

You mean you actually researched this to see if it was true...how sad.I wondered how long it would be before the  researchers came out  All working class O.A.P's should get it free

Ben Fogle has donated his salary from one of his programmes to pay for pensioner licences.  Good for him. ..i think they should put income tax up to pay for it too from all those in good salary paid jobs :D

What a nasty thing to say....but then again all you seem to do is moan about pensioners...another keyboard warrior that can only say it while being invisible.....I remember long ago when my parents had a pub,one of the regulars used to say things like this...until another regular put him on his back in the taproom...never said it again... ......a taproom is where all the locals would go for a drink play doms/darts/cards etc....just for anyone who didn't know what one was...

So you think the ones who fought should get nothing.........the answers on this forum about O.A.P's make me ashamed to be a Yorkshireman.Personally i think it should be awarded to everyone at 65...... Just to say there is a post asking people to sign a petition on here by Gene...i have signed it...bet the're all wrong and all you saddo's are correct tho'    What a disgrace you all are...

And thats something to boast about is it being a thug, and we wonder why people resort to knives to defend themselves. Bully tactics and you should be ashamed of supporting them - wasn't that the whole policy behind the war to defend free speech or doesn't it count when you don't like or opinion.

Lets just be clear  - i don't think anyone who has the money should get this stuff for free. Age is irrelevant.

When i was a child and we had black and white TV the average age for a male was 45  to 50 years of age. Modern lifestyles mean we're living longer many of us will live beyond 80 and our grandkids beyond a 100.

Edited by willman

2 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

Like the BBC3 rubbish which is being switched to BBC1 at 10.35 most nights!

What a load of garbage!

The next four nights on BBC 1  at 10.35 are:

Question Time, The Graham Norton Show, Billy Elliot and Women in Gold.

"What a load of garbage!" you say and I agree with you but apparently millions disagree with us. Other channels are available.

32 minutes ago, euclid said:

Just to add the TV licence in Ireland is free at 70 (for now)....

read on....https://www.thejournal.ie/poll-should-pensioners-in-ireland-have-to-pay-for-their-tv-licence-4676899-Jun2019/

Define working class.

And if any in the nags head tried to cuff me for having a different opinion, they'd go down very quickly.

Edited by tinfoilhat

4 minutes ago, willman said:

And thats something to boast about is it being a thug, and we wonder why people resort to knives to defend themselves. Bully tactics and you should be ashamed of supporting them -wasn't that the whole policy behind the war to defend free speech or doesn't it count when you don't like or opinion. Yes and they would probably be deeply ashamed to hear what the people on this thread think about them now

Lets just be clear  - i don't think anyone who has the money should get this stuff for free. Age is irrelevant.

When i was a child and we had black and white TV the average age for a male was 45  to 50 years of age. Modern lifestyles mean we're living longer many of us will live beyond 80 and our grandkids beyond a 100.

Its nothing about being a thug,i am not supporting them....in those days nobody took to using weapons...but they weren't afraid to speak their minds face to face...(as i do myself unfortunately,it gains more enemies than friends)  instead of cowering behind a keyboard spouting nastiness,..you have your free speech and it is YOU who does not like other's opinion's,same as everyone else that's moaning........When i was a child we did not have one... TV... until i was around 8/9 years old,when i lived in Sheff no inside loo just a backyard and paper on a nail, tin bath,no hot running water,and gas mantles to light..I never saw grass until i was 6/7...!sigh!  :cry::cry::cry: :cry:..but i digress and have come off the subject....Yes modern lifestyles do mean we live longer, i hope you DO live to a ripe old age as do your G/kids