TV licence thread

Its time the BBC stood on its own feet and became a commercial broadcaster and self funded . 

For the rubbish the  BBC put on the box they should be quality means tested. The Lisence then would probably cost next to nowt.  :hihi:

1 minute ago, PRESLEY said:

For the rubbish the  BBC put on the box they should be quality means tested. The Lisence then would probably cost next to nowt.  :hihi:

To be fair to the BBC they also produce some of the best programming in the world. Things like Planet Earth, Blue Planet etc are absolutely world class. 

should be scrambled and made  subscription channels.  Too many on a nice little number for that though I guess!

Yet another reason to scrap the out of date, regressive BBC TV licence fee tax.

It won't be long before the BBC claims it's can't afford to provide free licences for the means tested over 75s at all, and does away with them entirely. The wealthy, out of touch BBC management and talent need their salaries funded somehow, even if it comes from the pockets of the very poorest in society.

Edited by Car Boot

53 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

To be fair to the BBC they also produce some of the best programming in the world. Things like Planet Earth, Blue Planet etc are absolutely world class. 

They produce fantastic radio as well. 

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

They produce fantastic radio as well. 

You really need to pay much, much more for your ruling class propaganda.

If everybody who claimed to love the BBC paid £2000 - £10,000 per year for their BBC TV licence fee, there would be no more need to persecute the poor with this regressive tax.

But will the wealthy middle class put their money where their mouth is? Of course not.

1 hour ago, Robin-H said:

Exactly the point Im making,  just a couple of Jewels in the Crown you mentioned,  so if the public were charged  a price for the rest of the rubbish  they shove  on  we wouldn't be paying much for a license. :hihi:

I resent having to pay for the TV license.  The BBC should be self funded.

To say that the BBC does not advertise is totally untrue.   At one time no brands were allowed to be shown or mentioned on BBC programmes, they made a point of blurring out or turning product names away from the camera but nowadays they blatantly advertise and get away with it. 

I’m over 75 and have a free licence......but I can afford to pay. 

However, given that the BBC has so many, in effect, adverts for its own programmes in the last couple of minutes before the hour, I can’t see why they can’t advertise other commercial channels for money.

Also some of their staff/employees receive monumental salaries. I’m sure some people would do it for less !

55 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

License should be free for pensioners end off what next means test for a bus pass people dying told to reapply for benefits this country gets worse.... 

Why? 

Would should pensioners who can easily afford the licence fee get it for free?