TV licence thread

Actually i watch MOTD on catch up...you dont need a license for that.

Meanwhile earlier in the thread...

Do you watch live TV?

Yes indeed. And tv licensing are welcome to investigate. Im on the electoral roll...Harry Stanning..look me up.

But they are complying with the law. You are a hypocrit (I'd have let it slide if you said you never used it).

personal choice.

Indeed. Aswell as saving approx £2000 over the years.

Then pay up your council tax then. :hihi:

Meanwhile earlier in the thread...

Absolutely. And I will never buy a license!

---------- Post added 25-01-2016 at 12:30 ----------

Then pay up your council tax then. :hihi:

Lol i have !!!!! No thanks to the council.

Amazed you can even see the TV from on top of that incredibly high horse of yours..

same here havent paid it for years, a biased, PC ,overstaffed and overpriced non service.

This coming from the 'person' who had a massive rant about people abusing the car park in town to shop in the market...

:rolleyes:

I had no opinion on TV Licence until our last move.

TVL saleswoman knocked on doors. My missus opened and told her we don't need it.

Then she just walked into our living room saying 'lets see about that'.

Then she pressured her to buy licence or give our details or sign something and didn't took no for an answer.

Trespass and harassment.

I pay my TV license, but I resent it enormously. I do it out of respect for the law of the land.

If the purpose is to pay for the BBC, let them charge for using the BBC.

Instead they charge for watching all live TV, whether it had anything to do with the BBC or not, and not for watching any TV which is not live. Lunacy.

I can see both sides of the argument. People who pay the TV license are supporting the BBC. There are all manner of reasons, some of them extremely serious, to want to withdraw support from the BBC. There is clearly a legitimate protest to be made by refusing to pay the TV license and then abstaining from all BBC output.

Let's just make it a damn subscription service and be done with it.

It is, after all, a poll tax. Why is it okay to levy a poll tax for TV when it so clearly wasn't okay to levy one to fund local government?

I had no opinion on TV Licence until our last move.

TVL saleswoman knocked on doors. My missus opened and told her we don't need it.

Then she just walked into our living room saying 'lets see about that'.

Then she pressured her to buy licence or give our details or sign something and didn't took no for an answer.

Trespass and harassment.

i know. Why support an agency like that?

---------- Post added 25-01-2016 at 12:38 ----------

I pay my TV license, but I resent it enormously. I do it out of respect for the law of the land.

Instead they charge for watching all live TV, whether it had anything to do with the BBC or not, and not for watching any TV which is not live. Lunacy.

I can see both sides of the argument. People who pay the TV license are supporting the BBC. There are all manner of reasons, some of them extremely serious, to want to withdraw support from the BBC. There is clearly a legitimate protest to be made by refusing to pay the TV license and then abstaining from all BBC output.

It is, after all, a poll tax. Why is it okay to levy a poll tax for TV when it so clearly wasn't okay to levy one to fund local government?

Or stick advertisements on it.

Its clearly not unbiased broadcasting.

Hard not agree with that, although I don't resent it massively. I don't watch much bbc as it goes, but listen the bbc radio a lot - can't be too hard to stick a few adverts in there could it? A very large number of people subscribe to one service or another, it can't be too hard to bolt on a bbc subscription to that.

But the bbc do a lot well (and alot badly)in its current form, a subscription service could kill a lot of good, but not neccessarily profitable, product.

In olden days there was only BBC. If you had TV you were watching BBC as there was nothing else to watch.

This model stuck because BBC doesn't want it to change and gov't isn't interested in subsidising BBC.

It has nothing to do with fairness, justice or modern world.

The difference between tv license and say council tax is with CT you can actually get in trouble so you must pay if you can. With tv license, they make you think its enforceable with bully boy tactics, when its really not.

The difference between tv license and say council tax is with CT you can actually get in trouble so you must pay if you can. With tv license, they make you think its enforceable with bully boy tactics, when its really not.

It's still against the law.

I'm all for campaigning to have the law changed. That might legitimately include defying it peacefully and making a case in court.