The Oscars black actor boycotts "are racist to white people"

The Oscars  

41 members have voted

1. 1. The Oscars

• Are racist
    • Are not racist

I can see the point that the boycotting black actors are making but Charlotte Rampling is voicing other people's concerns and saying that there aren't any nominated black actors because they aren't good enough this year.

http://abc7.com/entertainment/charlotte-rampling-oscars-diversity-debate-is-racist-to-whites/1169703/

Says it all.

Angel1.

Silly boy. He said he didn't care about it. If there was a football thread about the football awards and someone posted "I don't like football, they are all overpaid" and added nothing else to the conversation, the would be trolling. I invite you to Google the definition of trolling and tell me if it fits with the above.

By all means comment on things you don't like, but adding pointless comments to a discussion you have no interest in is trolling.

80% of black professional soccer players have blond wives..:o. Racists!

80% of black professional soccer players have blond wives..:o. Racists!

Your thought process is magnificent! :hihi:

A lot of people have been saying that the issue wasn't with the final list as such, but how black actors are cast into typeset roles, meaning they don't appeal so much to the voters. It's not about the voters themselves being racist, but the entirety of Hollywood. How many black superheroes can you name for example? It's a v difficult one for both film makers and he public to sort out. Look at the outrage when Idris Elba was touted to play Bond, people saying he MUST be white etc.

It's easy to be outraged at anything at the moment, but I'm struggling to think of a single film I've seen this/last year that has a black lead actor/actress. I've seen a wide variety of films from low budget indies right through to Star Wars and all in between. I'd say I'm a reasonably typical film watcher so if I can't think of any black actors who should be in that lineup then why would anyone else? The films that do have a black lead are films that don't really appeal to me and there you have the issue, in my opinion. Too much typecasting.

Here was a list I found of films with black leads in 2015. Seriously, is it any wonder there are no black actors in the list when this is the best films they were cast to act in:

http://theurbandaily.com/2015/01/09/2015-black-movies/

Black people are 12.6% of the American population, and 10% of Oscar nominations since 2000 have gone to black actors. But just 3% of nominations have gone to their Hispanic peers (16% of the population), 1% to those with Asian backgrounds, and 2% to those of other heritage.

There is hardly a white out for black actors, hispanics on the other hand...

Will smith just has sour grapes because he is SO sure that he should have been nominated but was not.

Black people are 12.6% of the American population, and 10% of Oscar nominations since 2000 have gone to black actors. But just 3% of nominations have gone to their Hispanic peers (16% of the population), 1% to those with Asian backgrounds, and 2% to those of other heritage.

There is hardly a white out for black actors, hispanics on the other hand...

Will smith just has sour grapes because he is SO sure that he should have been nominated but was not.

John, I'm not saying who is right or wrong, just saying why I think it is how it is. This issue is exactly the same for asian or hispanic actors and you are right that they seem to have been ignored. Again.

The diversity nonsense really is annoying, how about a black 007, a female 007, a gay 007, a disabled 007 etc etc .... I'm sure if the boycott of the Oscars does not work, Spike Lee and Co could organise an Actors of Black Origin alternative.

BTW I think us white folk are currently under represented in the Olympic sprint events, likewise not enough black folk in the swimming ;)

Somebody sort it out jeeez !

Why isn't there more white NBA players? Is that a black conspiracy?:suspect:

quote/

African-Americans who represent 12% of the population are over-represented in American football (62%), baseball, (17%) basketball (75%) and boxing (70%).

I can't say I've ever heard of white athletes boycotting sports award ceremonies or complaining at all actually.

---------- Post added 23-01-2016 at 14:18 ----------

[

QUOTE=sgtkate;11277724]John, I'm not saying who is right or wrong, just saying why I think it is how it is. This issue is exactly the same for asian or hispanic actors and you are right that they seem to have been ignored. Again.

The issue is We've lost sight of what the issue actually is. What it isn't is this bull**** about how everyone's feelings are being hurt by everyone else.

If non white actors want Oscar nominations, then they should act better and they might be in with a chance. But now, everything's "racist" or "sexist" when we don't get our own way.

So black people should be nominated for Oscars because they are black, not because they are good actors.How stupidly patronizing.

Edited by johncocker

Spike Less is probably annoyed as he released his film Chiraq quick in December so it could qualify for the Oscars and didn't receive many good reviews by all accounts. Its also a film made with mainly black actors including Samuel L Jackson.

Mind you I have seen some Samuel L Jackson films recently and they were dire also.

The diversity nonsense really is annoying, how about a black 007, a female 007, a gay 007, a disabled 007 etc etc .... I'm sure if the boycott of the Oscars does not work, Spike Lee and Co could organise an Actors of Black Origin alternative.

BTW I think us white folk are currently under represented in the Olympic sprint events, likewise not enough black folk in the swimming ;)

Somebody sort it out jeeez !

Why isn't there more white NBA players? Is that a black conspiracy?:suspect:

quote/

African-Americans who represent 12% of the population are over-represented in American football (62%), baseball, (17%) basketball (75%) and boxing (70%).

I can't say I've ever heard of white athletes boycotting sports award ceremonies or complaining at all actually.

---------- Post added 23-01-2016 at 14:18 ----------

[

Don't particularly want to get drawn into an argument with you two Muppets but the examples of black over representation that you cite are where the pre-eminence of participants is entirely or largely measurable and indisputable ie against a stopwatch or score sheet.

The Oscars on the other hand are an objective assessment, based on someone's opinion which will be prone to bias-subconscious or deliberate.

For my own part Ive often been overlooked for a gong in the Weeding Out Xenophobes & Gobfrothers category ;)

---------- Post added 23-01-2016 at 15:40 ----------

Edited by boyfriday

Don't particularly want to get drawn into an argument with you two Muppets but the examples of black over representation that you cite are where the pre-eminence of participants is entirely or largely measurable and indisputable ie against a stopwatch or score sheet.

The Oscars on the other hand are an objective assessment, based on someone's opinion which will be prone to bias-subconscious or deliberate.

For my own part Ive often been overlooked for a gong in the Weeding Out Xenophobes & Gobfrothers category ;)

---------- Post added 23-01-2016 at 15:40 ----------

Evening BF.

It's all subjective, even sport. How many Jamie vardys are plugging away in non-league whilst some foreign chap (of what ever colour you want) is playing at a higher level despite, actually not being much better if any better at all?

I think idris was robbed because of the method of distribution of his film rather than his colour - it could have been Helen mirren but if you are going to cut out major distributors you will be in trouble.

But go to the awards section on IMDB and go through any award and you'll be saying who, what and why.

Is that a typo? Subjective is correct surely for judgement calls such as the Oscars.

Sounds like spitting the dummy out of the pram, can't get their own way so the race card is played.

It's no good complaining that Black & Hispanic actors aren't getting nominated for Oscars if the roles and hence performances just haven't been there this year.

The only person overlooked is Michael B Jordan for Creed but from what I gather the role didn't quite justify a nomination.

So the real issue is that Blacks/Hispanics aren't getting the juicy roles.