Brownfield sites suitable for building houses

The old Dyson site near Stannington is brownfield but it's not popular with the locals.

The problem with any further development of the Stannington/Loxley area is that the infrastructure can't really cope. It mostly all comes down to Holme Lane to get to Penistone which causes a mess. There is a strong argument to create an external 'ring-road' for the west of the city, but fairly sure that the nimbys will hate that as well.

The new waverley estate is looking much better now it's filling up with homes but I'd be worried about what could come through the soil or if it will subside long term and couldn't buy a home in such a site. It was a vast mine and then soil heap for such a long time.

In 50 years however will people care?

It is looking like a nice development that, it has good numbers to form a new community. But as you say, the state of the soil would be a worry. However, I am fairly sure that in this day and age (are there slow-worms? No. Are there tangerine-eating bats? No.) the council has a responsibility to ensure it is clean.

Near Chaucer school Parson X , loads of houses I recall was knocked down and the land stands empty - now sure what the plans are but plenty of space to build new homes - question is who would pay for them ?

Ideal opportunity to build more aspirational housing into the mix?

Part of the land opposite the football ground has a sign up saying that it has been acquired for commercial development. I don't know if that means that some activity is imminent or if it could just be a supermarket chain buying up land to prevent competition.

It has had that sign for a long, long time. If I am not mistaken the previous owner of SWFC (Mandaric) was going to build their community centre there before it got put in the rubbish bin.

A planning application has gone in for 300 houses 2,3,4 and 5 bedrooms on the old papermill site at Oughtibridge

The Don flood plain is not really a good idea IMHO - and only a small portion of the valley between Deepcar and Middlewood was industrial.

Didn't the 2007 floods knock that idea on the head?

It isn't a problem building on areas that flood. You dig a lake and use what you dig out to raise the ground where the houses will be built. It's good for the ducks too.

A planning application has gone in for 300 houses 2,3,4 and 5 bedrooms on the old papermill site at Oughtibridge

That is good news, Oughtibridge is lovely and this will help strengthen the vitality of local businesses and clubs.

There are loads of brownfield sites ripe for housing. As most of the Upper Don Valley is less viable for industry due to large sites out towards the M1 being more viable ( the former airport site, AMP and Markham Main further down the M1), there is a plethora of sites in the UDV. As somebody has said, there is an application for 300 homes on the Oughtibridge Mill site, there is a site already prepared just as you approach Deepcar, the former Ucar Carbon site is a prime site for up market housing as it backs onto Beeley and Great Hollins Woods and the former Presto Tools site would be a good extension to the Kelham area if potential flooding issues can be addressed.

On top of that, the entire canalside between Sheffield and Rotherham should be zoned for low rise, moderate density housing with an emphasis on intensive greening of the area.

Part of the land opposite the football ground has a sign up saying that it has been acquired for commercial development. I don't know if that means that some activity is imminent or if it could just be a supermarket chain buying up land to prevent competition.

As far as I know Tesco had bought that land yrs ago but was going to lease it , Not sure if that's still the case

That is good news, Oughtibridge is lovely and this will help strengthen the vitality of local businesses and clubs.

Maybe a good idea for local businnesses. But there is no mention of

where the residents would be able to obtain education and medical assistance

Plus the flooding possibility in that area. These would be my major concerns

before buying anything in that area.

Maybe a good idea for local businnesses. But there is no mention of

where the residents would be able to obtain education and medical assistance

Plus the flooding possibility in that area. These would be my major concerns

before buying anything in that area.

You can put negative marks on any development before it has been carried out. It is a great way to ensure that not enough houses are built.

One would assume they have a solid anti-flood strategy (is this law yet...?) and in terms of education and doctors, that is an issue you always get with new housing and over time it will settle and actually improve services for locals.

You can put negative marks on any development before it has been carried out. It is a great way to ensure that not enough houses are built.

One would assume they have a solid anti-flood strategy (is this law yet...?) and in terms of education and doctors, that is an issue you always get with new housing and over time it will settle and actually improve services for locals.

One could assume lots of things. But Ougtibridge school is oversubscrbed

according to SCC website fact.

So more accomadation must be a certainty before house building starts. How can things settle down without amenities being available from the start. Thats not being negative its being realistic

Edited by bazjea

One could assume lots of things. But Ougtibridge school is oversubscrbed

according to SCC website fact.

So more accomadation must be a certainty before house building starts. How can things settle down without amenities being available from the start. Thats not being negative its being realistic

So in that case, who says a new extension isn't part of the plans?

---------- Post added 24-01-2016 at 13:16 ----------

[/color]

So in that case, who says a new extension isn't part of the plans?

No mention on initial proposals regarding school or doctors,

as far as I can see.

Edited by bazjea

The only thing that can be certain about that development at the old Dixons site is that it will add to traffic in Oughtibridge. Most I assume will commute to Sheffield for work. Can't see many being prepared to walk from there into the village to shop - they're most likely to use supermarkets round Hillsborough for shopping.

Kids will be driven to school I assume rather than having a long walk on narrow paths next to a busy road.