The new Moor what do you think.

The Moor in Sheffield is now half way into its new look.

What do you think , should it be open to public transport, should the building that cuts it of at the bottom be removed so as to allow through traffic .

What about the new building work does it inspire you or is it just much the same as the rest or even the ones that have been replaced .

Will the new Primark be a success now that it is not situated at the prime tram stop in the City centre meaning that a bit of a walk will be necessary to get there.

Should the Moor be the prime shopping area or just an off shoot from the proposed new retail area on Camebridge Street,

Have you forgotten the ? ? ? question symbol ? , you have posed a series of questions ,and they are obviously questions , but posed them as statements .

In reply to your " Statements " , it should stay pedestrianised , the new building they are erecting is just another concrete block to add to the

existing concrete blocks , there are no quality retailers down there , DEBENHAM 'S and ATKINSON'S being halfway there , other than that it's just tat .

I initially welcomed The Moor development with open arms and I hoped that it would bring a much needed boost to an otherwise neglected area. However to date I am extremely disappointed with the results and don't believe for one minute that things will get any better. The design is boring and uninspiring and the whole project seems trademark half hearted in usual Sheffield City Council style.

For me the Moor redevelopment is a massive success so far and will get better. Measure of that success? Two years ago I had been down there shopping once in 4 years, now we wander down there every time we are in town.

I personally think the moor has to many dark and seedy areas like the cash converters corner of its even still there housing all the lay abouts then further down the toilets that smell like most shop entrances after the weekends over, there's no hole in the road randomness to it anymore just concrete and have a go business's with a few big names thrown in trying to capture any action that may kick off. Long and short it needs a serious face lift to fetch it into the 21st century I'd suggest flatten anything over 50yrs old (not pedestrians) and rebuild and throw in some random sculptures neon lighting and a entire length of the moor glass roof to convert it to a semi indoor shopping feel and to not have so many off shot side roads to as said before seedy dark streets. That's just my opinion.

I personally think the moor has to many dark and seedy areas like the cash converters corner of its even still there housing all the lay abouts then further down the toilets that smell like most shop entrances after the weekends over, there's no hole in the road randomness to it anymore just concrete and have a go business's with a few big names thrown in trying to capture any action that may kick off. Long and short it needs a serious face lift to fetch it into the 21st century I'd suggest flatten anything over 50yrs old (not pedestrians) and rebuild and throw in some random sculptures neon lighting and a entire length of the moor glass roof to convert it to a semi indoor shopping feel and to not have so many off shot side roads to as said before seedy dark streets. That's just my opinion.

Why not send your ideas to the owners of the Moor, Scotish Widows Investment Partnership? The poor old council get blamed for everything but they don't own the Moor or are responsible for its development.

"The Moor Quarter is one of Sheffield's eleven designated quarters, built around and named for The Moor, a pedestrianised thoroughfare. It is bound by Furnival Gate in the north-east, Eyre Street in the south-east, St Mary's Gate to the south, and Moore Street and Charter Row to the north-west.

It is primarily a retail location, with the city's main market now located in the quarter. There are also some offices at Charter Row and Moorfoot.[1] Owners Scottish Widows Investment Partnership have a long-term redevelopment plan for The Moor to increase the retail, commercial and residential capacity of the quarter to improve its nightlife, and in the short-term to house the relocated markets from the Castlegate Quarter.[2] It benefits from a good location, centrally between the Devonshire Quarter, Cultural Industries Quarter, Heart of the City and London Road and Ecclesall Road shops. It is also close to the proposed Sevenstone development."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moor_Quarter

The poor old council get blamed for everything but they don't own the Moor or are responsible for its development.

Then who was responsible for the decision to put the market where it is?

Then who was responsible for the decision to put the market where it is?

They are responsible for building the market, but Blackbeard is correct in that the rest of the Moor is owned by Scottish Widows, alhough Debenhams has a very long lease on its site.

I never take the car into town, I'm fortunate to be near the tram route. I'll happily walk down the Moor, but if I've bought much, I'd like a bus service from around Moorfoot that would go along Arundel Gate and stop near the BHF furniture store to connect back to the tram. There may be one, but I've not worked it out yet! I don't think taking the Freebee off can have done the Moor much good. Even smaller places such as Stockport manage to run a free link from their railway station round their shopping areas. I thought that was short sighted from a council who want to attract visitors to the city and make the Moor a success.

At present there isn't much there apart from Debenhams and Atkinsons to attract me. I liked the previous TJ Hughes store, I bought some quality items, towels, curtains, chinaware etc there but at reduced prices. Since it moved to the Moor, I don't think the choice has been nearly as good.

i think the cinema could prove a success just as the theatres do. There is plenty of choice of places to eat in the evening, so finish work, early cinema then food, or the other way round. No car needed could be a draw.

I never take the car into town, I'm fortunate to be near the tram route. I'll happily walk down the Moor, but if I've bought much, I'd like a bus service from around Moorfoot that would go along Arundel Gate and stop near the BHF furniture store to connect back to the tram. There may be one, but I've not worked it out yet! I don't think taking the Freebee off can have done the Moor much good. Even smaller places such as Stockport manage to run a free link from their railway station round their shopping areas. I thought that was short sighted from a council who want to attract visitors to the city and make the Moor a success.

At present there isn't much there apart from Debenhams and Atkinsons to attract me. I liked the previous TJ Hughes store, I bought some quality items, towels, curtains, chinaware etc there but at reduced prices. Since it moved to the Moor, I don't think the choice has been nearly as good.

i think the cinema could prove a success just as the theatres do. There is plenty of choice of places to eat in the evening, so finish work, early cinema then food, or the other way round. No car needed could be a draw.

I am still firmly of the belief that if you are going to attract people in from the outer regions, or even outside the city, you need a bus linking the train station to the bottom of the Moor. People then have a direct link there and could wander down the Moor, up the newly pedestrianised Pinstone St (when the retail quarter happens) and down Fargate to get the tram back. Or vice versa. It's no good saying that you can get a bus from the bottom of Howard Street up there because people who don't know the city very well would never know that.

There is space just before the big steel sculpture to make a cutting in for a dedicated Moor link bus stop (and no more). This will get more people up there and may turn a white elephant into the success they want it to be.

I still think, though, that an area like the Moor (and Fargate) is definitely crying out for a few café bars that make use of what little alfresco drinking / dining space Sheffield has. For all it's supposed 'green-ness' Sheffield is woefully lacking in this area. And large pedestrian areas are surely ideal?

I still think, though, that an area like the Moor (and Fargate) is definitely crying out for a few café bars that make use of what little alfresco drinking / dining space Sheffield has. For all it's supposed 'green-ness' Sheffield is woefully lacking in this area. And large pedestrian areas are surely ideal?

I don't think I know of a British high street (i.e. primary shopping street) that has open air drinking. I'm not entirely against the idea but it's possible law makers and retailers would object. There is plenty of open air bars and restaurants on Tudor Square and St Paul's.

I don't think I know of a British high street (i.e. primary shopping street) that has open air drinking. I'm not entirely against the idea but it's possible law makers and retailers would object. There is plenty of open air bars and restaurants on Tudor Square and St Paul's.

Plenty? Really? Could you name, lets say... ten? I work on St Pauls and can manage 5. I do get what you mean about predominantly shopping streets not attracting Alfresco drinking / eating. But there are far more examples of this in Manchester (outside the Arndale Centre, up in the Northern Quarter), Leeds (dotted around the city and in the various Quarters and Precincts) and Nottingham, to name a few. I just think Sheffield is missing a trick with it's pedestrianized spaces, that's all.