Coal and gas versus renewables

As I write coal is producing 28.5% of generating power, gas 46.8% making a total of 75.3% of required generation.

Wind currently providing 0.3% despite all the billions of pounds spent on supporting it.

So what do we do in the future on similarly cold days, with little wind and not much sun?

Nuclear 16,2% but a long time before this starts to increase

Even accepting technology is moving on that is one heck of a gap to fill.

Wind is incapable of generating base load power, and the time we need the most power, cold, still air, wind generates nothing.

Without massive storage (impractical, financially ruinous) wind is nothing but a gimmick.

We need tidal power generation.

No we don't.

We do what most of the other EU countries are doing which is to build Clean coal fired stations with the inbuilt technology to reduce carbon emissions.

The technology is available but we are only able to retrofit it to stations that were built thirty/forty years ago which is both expensive and inefficient.

We should build more nuclear reactors, it's the most carbon sensitive and cost effective option.

Coal is a terrible option strategically speaking, and it's price can only go up in the future.

coal would be mostly imported as the last deep coal mine has been shut and only 26 open cast coal mines are still in operation.

I agree that more nuclear reactors are needed and if we covered the entire UK in wind turbines we still wouldn't have enough power.

Not so sure.

In terms of building nuclear reactors "we" really means anything but. In reality it is the French and Chinese who have the ability and finance to support such projects. The costs involved are horrendous and require massive support from the Government for investors to even think of putting money in: currently circa £69kwh as opposed to the £19kwh agreed in the recent capacity auction.

In terms of coal we still have the engineers and skills able to build and operate the new technologies required to reduce carbon emissions. My fear is that these people will go the way of those similarly employed when the UK were leaders in nuclear energy in the fifties and sixties.

There are huge reserves of coal in the UK which as time moves on and technologies improve offers an opportunity for easier extraction together with all the employment and investment that would arise.

Around the world there is a glut of coal which given the current oil price, USA fracking etc shows no signs of reducing either in volume or price in the near to medial term.

Not so sure.

In terms of building nuclear reactors "we" really means anything but. In reality it is the French and Chinese who have the ability and finance to support such projects. The costs involved are horrendous and require massive support from the Government for investors to even think of putting money in: currently circa £69kwh as opposed to the £19kwh agreed in the recent capacity auction.

In terms of coal we still have the engineers and skills able to build and operate the new technologies required to reduce carbon emissions. My fear is that these people will go the way of those similarly employed when the UK were leaders in nuclear energy in the fifties and sixties.

There are huge reserves of coal in the UK which as time moves on and technologies improve offers an opportunity for easier extraction together with all the employment and investment that would arise.

Around the world there is a glut of coal which given the current oil price, USA fracking etc shows no signs of reducing either in volume or price in the near to medial term.

£19/kwh? I only pay 20p/kwh.... I reckon you have your units wrong..what would be the cost of coal derived leccy if we had to sink new pits and install all the carbon capture sysytems? Genuine question

No we don't.

We do what most of the other EU countries are doing which is to build Clean coal fired stations with the inbuilt technology to reduce carbon emissions.

The technology is available but we are only able to retrofit it to stations that were built thirty/forty years ago which is both expensive and inefficient.

Why invest in a finite fuel source that is subject to market volatility? Its plain stupid in my opinion. We have one of the longest coastlines in the world alongside one of the largest per km² too. Its a huge natural resource that we should be doing everything we can to exploit. Look at Switzerland. They have some of the cleanest air in the world. They also produce the majority of their energy from dams.

Why invest in a finite fuel source that is subject to market volatility? Its plain stupid in my opinion. We have one of the longest coastlines in the world alongside one of the largest per km² too. Its a huge natural resource that we should be doing everything we can to exploit. Look at Switzerland. They have some of the cleanest air in the world. They also produce the majority of their energy from dams.

How much energy do banking and watchmaking use? :D

what happens if the electric car takes over and everybody has one or two. where would the extra power come from?

How much energy do banking and watchmaking use? :D

You forgot the chocolate.