Friends Reunited to close down

Did you have a friends reunited account?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Did you have a friends reunited account?

• Yes
    • No

How long until Sheffield forum goes the same way?

There was a time you could log on here and enjoy a good few hours reading /contributing to interesting threads.

These days I browse and find nothing of great interest to keep me here.

Ten or fifteen minutes and I'm bored....

Are you being serious?

Possibly. Someone born in 1999 or later might not have heard of it.

There was a time you could log on here and enjoy a good few hours reading /contributing to interesting threads.

You could always start a thread more to your liking and read/contribute to that..

I'm not sure that Sheffield Forum is the same. With sites like Friends Reunited and Facebook its very personal, ie your identity is pretty much open to the world, whereas the forum is very much cloak and dagger, hidden under a psudenism of ones real self. Interestingly enough, I could be Elton John or Janet Street Porter for all my fellow posters know.

As long as people have stuff to say, forums will thrive, and no doubt the bickerings and sarcastically induced comebacks will continue, under the shield of anonymity.

I'm not sure that Sheffield Forum is the same. With sites like Friends Reunited and Facebook its very personal, ie your identity is pretty much open to the world, whereas the forum is very much cloak and dagger, hidden under a psudenism of ones real self. Interestingly enough, I could be Elton John or Janet Street Porter for all my fellow posters know.

As long as people have stuff to say, forums will thrive, and no doubt the bickerings and sarcastically induced comebacks will continue, under the shield of anonymity.

:huh:

Well Elton, it does seem strange to me that in times of increased identity theft more people seem happier to be seen as their real self rather than some made up character...

... not that it affects me either way! ;)

Well its seems the power of Facebook has finally shut the door on FU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35343091

I did enjoy this site, but it seems Facebook has taken over the world when it comes to social media. I'm sure most of us have facebook accounts, but how many of us used Friends Reunited when it was first developed?

I had an account, sure it's been deleted due to about 10 years of inactivity though.

---------- Post added 19-01-2016 at 12:07 ----------

I don't have an account, I'm not interested in finding any of my old school friends. The ones I was interested in keeping in touch with, I kept in touch with.

Either way it's a bit late now, as nobody uses it anymore and it's closing down finally.

I don't have an account, I'm not interested in finding any of my old school friends. The ones I was interested in keeping in touch with, I kept in touch with.

Just to keep the scales even, I loved school with a passion.

Used FR to contact old school chums, although not many used the site, but it's been ok while it lasted.

Angel1.

If you are searching for school photos FR website has quite a few and at least some of us enjoy those memories. I lost some of my early photos and it was a lovely surprise to find my school photo on this website. Sorry to hear they are closing. Hubby posted some great school photos on this website so if you find any better save them quick. :(

It was popular in 2002, everyone used it.....then again Bebo and Myspace were popular in 2006 onwards and look what happened to them?

Facebook flattened the lot!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35343091

I did enjoy this site, but it seems Facebook has taken over the world when it comes to social media. I'm sure most of us have facebook accounts, but how many of us used Friends Reunited when it was first developed?

Ive never used it as i dont have any friends.

Ive never used it as i dont have any friends.

Can't believe that P999. As long as we have somebody to talk to, whether it be face to face or any if the social media, you will never be truly alone. Even here in the forum, there will always be somebody to converse with, alas sometimes heated, but communications nonetheless!!

FR surely? :hihi: