3 limited tethering mobile plan no restricted at all

I am on 3 on the 4g network and been moved from the unlimited tethering one plan to the restricted plan last November that allows apparently only 4GB tethering per month. My question is why do they claim tethering is restricted when it is not? They made such a fuss about the end to all unlimited tethering but it does not apply at all.

I used more than 4GB tethering over the last month and my 3 control panel online STILL says 4 GB tethering remaining and a 4GB limit. They dont actually appear to be measuring it all so does anyone else have this 'bonus'?

I have tethered without any circumvention or VPN using just a normal USB lead to my laptop running Windows 8.1.

I ask if this is a common experience or have 3 completely reversed their restricted tethering and gone back to unlimited? No information to this effect online.....

Edited by goldenfleece

No wonder I can never get online if you're downloading the Internet on your phone ffs...

No wonder I can never get online if you're downloading the Internet on your phone ffs...

The One plan was originally designed for unlimited data + tethering so there should be space for everyone. I get a constant download speed of 42 mbs on 4g implying lots of headroom on my local mast?

Edited by goldenfleece

I'd imagine people started taking the **** and racked up loads of data every month.

I'd imagine people started taking the **** and racked up loads of data every month.

yes which is why they changed it to restricted tethering but my point is they are not enforcing this restriction it appears so anyone can go over the limit and nothing happens, no extra charges, no ERROR messages and no warning messages....just puzzling

I am on 3 on the 4g network and been moved from the unlimited tethering one plan to the restricted plan last November that allows apparently only 4GB tethering per month. My question is why do they claim tethering is restricted when it is not? They made such a fuss about the end to all unlimited tethering but it does not apply at all.

I used more than 4GB tethering over the last month and my 3 control panel online STILL says 4 GB tethering remaining and a 4GB limit. They dont actually appear to be measuring it all so does anyone else have this 'bonus'?

I have tethered without any circumvention or VPN using just a normal USB lead to my laptop running Windows 8.1.

I ask if this is a common experience or have 3 completely reversed their restricted tethering and gone back to unlimited? No information to this effect online.....

I'm on the one plan and use tethering for streaming films on my 10" tablet when camping (if it's raining), or on long journeys for my kid to watch.

It doesn't seem to pick up on that either, I've been told it could be because both devices are Android and Three may not be able to tell that it's tethering.

Of course, that doesn't explain your laptop. Just keep quiet about it!

I'm on the one plan and use tethering for streaming films on my 10" tablet when camping (if it's raining), or on long journeys for my kid to watch.

It doesn't seem to pick up on that either, I've been told it could be because both devices are Android and Three may not be able to tell that it's tethering.

I was just wondering if it was a one off or a common experience for 3 users. Maybe they simply don't care about a few additional GB's. After all there is no extra charges for data at all so why be strict about it as they cant get any more money if u go over.

I was just wondering if it was a one off or a common experience for 3 users. Maybe they simply don't care about a few additional GB's. After all there is no extra charges for data at all so why be strict about it as they cant get any more money if u go over.

It may be that after 4GB the data is slowed down.

It may be that after 4GB the data is slowed down.

I thought this too but it speed tests at 34 mbs download which is about usual for 4g where I am. The only thing that runs very slow are torrent downloads, restricted back to 2 mbs max but I think they do this across the board during the day for p2p.

Thats not uncommon for them to restrict certain types of traffic, some networks have done it across the board before.

It's usually called 'traffic shaping' Sky were quite into it before they bought O2's broadband network, their own network was horrendously over-subscribed and ran like a total dog.

They will catch up with you eventually, I know a few people who this has happened to, on the 12GB Tethering plan, gone over (to 20+) and Three have phoned them up and tried to charge them for it (but Three offered no warning about going over)

so yeah, be careful! :)

It depends on whether they detect that you are tethering.

I was able to tether on an old plan which didn't have any tethering allowance - over 10gb one month.

However these days it detects every time I do it.

---------- Post added 19-01-2016 at 07:55 ----------

yes which is why they changed it to restricted tethering but my point is they are not enforcing this restriction it appears so anyone can go over the limit and nothing happens, no extra charges, no ERROR messages and no warning messages....just puzzling

It's not everyone though. It's some people, and they may eventually catch up with you.