At wits end with sheffield council

Hi guys,

Am at wits end with sheffield council and looking for advice and support.

Im a young small trader in first year of trading and put in a claim for housing and council tax subsidy, as after costs dont earn very much as i am trying to reinvest and grow my small business.

its only a small amount of subsidy but it will help me loads.

After 4 months I am still trying to get this sorted. I've even done my accounts early, and given to council in december, still no calculation.

today I got a council tax reminder to pay full amount or I get penalised . Yet, ive phone twice and it just says 'we are not available and our queue is full please try again later'! :(

Even on the original bill which was wrong, they havent even applied the 25% single person discount. I just need to speak to a real person!

i literally cannot sort this out and ive tried so hard in last 4 months to give council everything they need. Its a farce but im tearing my hair out.

Do MP's deal with this sort of thing? I dont know where to turn.

Thanks, Harry :confused:

Go to Howden house and insist on talking to someone. They try to palm you off to a disgusting metal telephone on the wall. But tell them you refuse to use it and you want to speak to someone in person.

I would recommend going down to Howden House with all the paperwork. It's annoying as it probably means you might lose a half day trading but at least you should get some answers then and there. I'd suggest getting there as early as you can, opens at 8.30am.

In fact I've just looked on their website and it now says they offer appointment service ONLY. This is new, I went in only a few months ago to sort something out and didn't need to pre-book...It's the same phone number you've had no luck with as well...

As other people have said, I've always gone down to Howden House and insisted on speaking to someone. If they are really only offering pre-booked appointments now, I suggest you use the "complaints" link a the bottom of the above webpage.

Ring your local councillor. Keep ringing them. According to SCCs website they have their home phone numbers on there so you can ring them at home, which I would also do, and do it often.

I would recommend going down to Howden House with all the paperwork. It's annoying as it probably means you might lose a half day trading but at least you should get some answers then and there. I'd suggest getting there as early as you can, opens at 8.30am.

In fact I've just looked on their website and it now says they offer appointment service ONLY. This is new, I went in only a few months ago to sort something out and didn't need to pre-book...It's the same phone number you've had no luck with as well...

Hi Kate, to fill you in ive been down to howden 4 times since september.

I've got all my accounts, all receipts filed and ready should they need to verify...all I can think of is they just have a big backlog of claims and no resources.

what is most annoying is housing dont communicate with council tax and vice-versa.

Get in touch with your MP you will be surprised how quickly, they will ring you.

Go to Howden house and insist on talking to someone. They try to palm you off to a disgusting metal telephone on the wall. But tell them you refuse to use it and you want to speak to someone in person.

cheers pal. They seem friendly at times. But instead of asking in one letter for all docs, it comes in bits and pieces.

They asked me to fill in a self assessment form. Then asked for receipts for two specific categories! when I explained I didnt have complete accounts and filed receipts for this exactly, they gave me another month. I've basically had to use two systems fo HMRC and council.....really good use of business time.

It meant tax return I'd planned to do in January had to be brought forward a week before christmas.

As you can tell im rather frustrated!

There is a complaints system https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/dms/scc/management/corporate-communications/documents/economics-finance/benefits/claim-forms/Complaints-Factsheet/Complaints%20Factsheet.pdf

If you get nowhere with Howden House, do have a word with one of your local councillors.

You can find them here: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/roles-who/councillors.html

Edited by Ms Macbeth

do you think I should just make a payment on council tax? or wait until final calculation?

Dont want to get into bother with debt people etc.

Do the Council really give housing and council tax subsidies for traders not earning enough?

I've heard of small business rate relief but council tax is a tax on the home not the business.