Sheffield Knife Amnesty

From the knife awareness projects own site, knife crime is falling and has done over the past 10 years. I don't know if amnesties have helped or not.

Almost all crime has been dropping for decades. The crimes which have increased have mostly been those where reporting of the crime has increased, such as sexual crime.

I can't help thinking that the the vast majority of people who deposit knives in these bins, aren't the ones who would use them to attack someone.

A recent four week amnesty in Manchester collected over 1100 knives so we shall have to see what happens in Sheffield

One Nation Community Centre, 7 Leyburn Road, Nether Edge S8 0XA

2.30 - 3pm

Laughable!

Four week amnestity in Manchester.....half an hour in Sheffield?

This does not appear to be an amnesty.

You would be probably be safer if you put any illegal knives in your black bin.

This is a permanent knife bin - the official launch is between 2.30 until 3pm

Sorry for the confusion

Almost all crime has been dropping for decades. The crimes which have increased have mostly been those where reporting of the crime has increased, such as sexual crime.

If those crimes that have increased are due to increased reporting, could it be that those that appear to have decreased are now being under-reported.

If those crimes that have increased are due to increased reporting, could it be that those that appear to have decreased are now being under-reported.

It's a possibility worth investigating.

So, I have to wrap my old knives up like xmas presents, drive across sheffield (I'm in Woodhouse) find the bin, and then drive back, pick them up, drive across town again and be careful how I walk to the bin in the 30min time slot you say I have and also avoid the people I've never heard of who'll also be there opening the bin for me?

What?

Why would you have to drive across twice?

---------- Post added 16-01-2016 at 11:13 ----------

This does not appear to be an amnesty.

You would be probably be safer if you put any illegal knives in your black bin.

What exactly makes a knife illegal?

I have a machete in the garage, an axe in the outhouse, and several gerber sheath knives around the house.

They're all entirely legal to have in your own home.

They only become illegal if you start walking around in public with one. Although when I'm walking in the peaks I'll take one in my bag.

The point is that an 'amnesty' is announced by the police when they publicly advise that persons carrying knives for disposal to an announced location will not be charged.

The suggestion is there by the OP, but no announcement has been made by the police.

Why not just chuck it in the wheelie bin?

What exactly makes a knife illegal?

I have a machete in the garage, an axe in the outhouse, and several gerber sheath knives around the house.

They're all entirely legal to have in your own home.

They only become illegal if you start walking around in public with one. Although when I'm walking in the peaks I'll take one in my bag.

Most common knives aren't illegal to carry per se, provided you can demonstrate to a court that the use is justified.

A folding knife with a blade of less than 3" is permissible, though you could still be charged with possessing an offensive weapon if you get giddy with it.

N.B. a knife with the means of locking the blade, isn't classed as a folding knife. Hence some multi-tools are UK Legal carry, some are not.

Even a classic Opinel is a classed lock knife, as there is a means of locking the blade, even though you have to engage it manually.

A leatherman juice should be OK as the blades are on the outside of the device, but a Wave has a lockable blade.

I'm not sure if there has been a test case yet on the original style of Leatherman (or similar) where the non-locking blades are on the inside of the handle.

(that is, there would need to be two operations to close the blade; one to open the pliers, the second to fold away the blade.)

Note also that a toolbox in the boot of your car has been deemed to be a public place, so be careful what you carry there.

Some knives would be illegal to buy, sell, or carry in a public place regardless; more info here on that one; (e.g. flick knives, push daggers etc. )

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/186911/Knives_and_offensive_weapons_information_GDS_FAQ.pdf

Edited by peak4