Park Square Roundabout - difficult to navigate?

I've always found it very easy, but I have seen people cutting from the most left lane to the most right lane on the roundabout itself.

University Square roundabout is a nightmare! I've lost count of how many times I've nearly been hit on there.

Park Sq, absolutely, but people need not race round the roundabouts as they do. Sometimes people do end up in the wrong lanes for one reason or another and always have time for them if they signal appropriately and have time to manoeuvre. If not, they should stick to their lane and reroute. University roundabout is crazy and so are the positioning of traffic lights, although I understand there's some change's in the pipeline.

Park Square and University roundabout both easy to navigate never had a problem except with nervous drivers and then you have to simply allow for their indecision's.

It is easy to navigate if people actually look where they are going. It tells you everything you need to know as to which lanes but I swear everytime im on there so.e moron doesn't understand it. Ive seen many close calls on there. If only people could read?

Park square is well marked as long as you leave space between you and the car in front so you can see the road markings to confirm you're in the right lane...sadly most people drive too close and too fast and then end up in the wrong lane!

I really hate the roundabout at the end of the Tinsley viaduct near American Golf, especially when using the exit for Meadowhall...been cut up on there so many times!

It is the perfect roundabout. Except for the traffic lights.

The lanes work if you are in the correct lane to begin with. The lanes are clearly signed.

It's even better when the lights are broken. Everything flows much more smoothly and you dont have to wait for non-existent buses not coming down Duke Street.

Completely right. If you get in the right lane at the start you just stay in it and come off at the right exit.

The size of the island actually makes it quite easy as there's a big enough distance between each of the feeder roads.

The University roundabout is much harder as it is much smaller but still with lots of entries and exits so you have to look at traffic already on the island but also anticipate cars that haven't yet entered it.

Edited by mlfc

thats more confusing at the gravel trap as you come on from meadowhall or from rotherham, where the lanes are just, x marked as you switch over to go on to sheffield why not just do continuous lines.

Nobody else struggle with people not keeping to their lane on Park Square roundabout then?

Leaving town, drivers coming down the A61 past Ponds Forge and going up the Parkway seem to drift across lanes even though they don't ultimately choose to change lane...definitely driver at fault

On the other hand, coming into town to drive past the station, people in the left hand lane drift into the second lane, even though they're clearly not intending to change lane. I see it so frequently, I reckon that's it the camber of the road that's at fault rather than the drivers...

What is it with this roundabout and people being in the wrong lane on a fairly regular basis?

The lanes are marked as to which goes where and even if you are new to Sheffield, you must have some idea of where you are heading?

Again today, ive had a near miss by some idiot in a VW car. I was coming down the parkway and was in the third lane marked 'City and Ponds Forge' the woman was in the lane to the left of me marked 'A61S'. I followed my lane still marked 'City and Ponds Forge' on to the roundabout and the car on my left cut across the back of me and then had the nerve to give me hand signals and sound her horn!

I doubt she will be reading this but if by chance you are, maybe you need to go the same route and look at the lane markings and I guarantee, YOU were in the wrong lane, not me. And if youre still not convinced, let me know and ill send you the dashcam footage to prove which lane you were in before entering the roundabout.

But back to the subject of the thread - is it really that difficult to get around?

Thank God I am not the only one. I commute this way into work most days and I probably get cut up around once per week. I can guarantee it isn't me in the wrong this time! :D

---------- Post added 17-01-2016 at 18:47 ----------

Nobody else struggle with people not keeping to their lane on Park Square roundabout then?

Leaving town, drivers coming down the A61 past Ponds Forge and going up the Parkway seem to drift across lanes even though they don't ultimately choose to change lane...definitely driver at fault

On the other hand, coming into town to drive past the station, people in the left hand lane drift into the second lane, even though they're clearly not intending to change lane. I see it so frequently, I reckon that's it the camber of the road that's at fault rather than the drivers...

I don't agree, it's clearly down to people not paying enough attention to the road. If I can manage to stay in the correct lane nearly every day then surely it can't be that hard?!?!

You clock them the moment you enter the roundabout, the ones on your left and I just hang back slightly so I can brake and get out of their way if needed, which is at least once per week. If I hadn't noticed them I would have had several side on impacts due to that roundabout! I don't think you can realistically blame the camber!

Equally, I accept that to out of towers the roundabout might be confusing so if someone indicates to try to change lane I will ALWAYS give them the space to move across safely, we all make mistakes, but most people are just utter utter muppets on that roundabout without any good reason! Oh unless it's a taxi trying to jump the queue up past Ponds Forge, then it's a different game entirely. ;)

Edited by sgtkate

I have the same problem with people lane drifting on the park square roundabout. Going from the parkway towards the train station. It's not like there isn't enough room. At least once a week. It's pure bad driving! I also hate the morning rush on the park way. Why do people feel the need to drive to the very very end of the slip road from the mosborough bypass and push in. Driving past many ample gaps to join the parkway. I never ever let anyone in and have many hand gestures. It's just rude!

No, that's the fault of the drivers if they can't keep their vehicle in the correct lane. Funny how I've taken that roundabout in a various normal cars, FWD and RWD, an ageing land rover, various vans, a 7.5 tonner and managed it fine each time. So it can't be the road's fault can it?

I have the same problem with people lane drifting on the park square roundabout. Going from the parkway towards the train station. It's not like there isn't enough room. At least once a week. It's pure bad driving! I also hate the morning rush on the park way. Why do people feel the need to drive to the very very end of the slip road from the mosborough bypass and push in. Driving past many ample gaps to join the parkway. I never ever let anyone in and have many hand gestures. It's just rude!

Do you understand the concept of merge in turn? If everyone queues in a single lane, the queue is twice as long as if they were using two lanes.

Eventually that queue starts impacting other junctions.

There's a lane there, everyone should try to use it, and then both lanes will have an equal length queue.

---------- Post added 18-01-2016 at 08:51 ----------

Particularly as they enter from the bottom of the parkway.

It's often the case that you can't move directly to your lane there, because someone else would sideswipe you whilst badly cutting the turn.