Should we boycott Sam Smith's Brewery?

Plus people on their land makes theft/trespass easy.

That and the fact that the bridge will become heavily used and require maintenance.

What has Tadcaster Council or the Govt or Yorks Water offered them to ensure they suffer no detriment?

As far as I'm aware Sam Smith's own large amounts of land in Tadcaster. The idea is to build a temporary footbridge alongside the current bridge. They can't put it across the current site because they need to be able to rebuild the old bridge. The piece of land in question is not fenced off anyway so trespass is hardly an issue.

So they aren't looking at a massive incursion, just access over a few metres of riverbank. A suitable bridge has been located and would be errected and maintained at no cost or liability to the land owner, and would be required for a period of around 12 months. As Sam Smiths relies on local support in the pubs they own around Tadcaster I have to wonder why they make so little effort to keep public support. I think if I were a local I would be objecting to every Sam Smith's pub license that came up for renewal.

What ever happened to community spirit ? The brewery and council should work together to have a temporary footbridge built asap .

I think they are. The brewery doesn want the council suddenly going for a compulsory purchase order for a disable friendly footbridge once its' in place.

Hence their understandable insistence that they also commit to fixing tadcaster bridge.

I'd join you but I rarely drink nowadays and when I do its rum.

On the change.org page I expected to sign / give email or something but even with JS enabled I see noffin...

On the change.org page I expected to sign / give email or something but even with JS enabled I see noffin...

It would appear the victory has been won. The petition has been replaced by a victory flag.

Interesting. I read one news site which had a statement from the brewery pushing the blame on the council.

However, another news site had this missing paragraph if a temporary bridge is erected:

I wonder why this was omitted?

Because it's easier to lie and use social media these days to get the result you want...

I'd join you but I rarely drink nowadays and when I do its rum.

O'h aye. I agree nothing like a good old pint of rum.

I read this statement. It seems the council is building a bridge elsewhere. So I'll continue to boycott the produce of Sam Smith's.

James Darnton

Tadcaster, United Kingdom

15 Jan 2016 — Some of you may have already heard the news just announced. Tadcaster is getting a temporary foot bridge and it should be ready in 2-3 weeks.

The new bridge will be sited on land downstream of the existing road bridge, belonging to the council. It will be accessed from the bus park car park on the east side and land near to the Tadcaster Albion FC car park on the west.

The support shown by everyone has been fantastic and has demonstrated to Samuel Smith's Brewery that the people of Tadcaster will not sit in silence.

Though the use of brewery land is not going to be needed, they have heard our voice, forcing them to make a further statement about the issue and hopefully the new arrangement will go some way to avoid Sam Smith's interference in the rebuilding of the road bridge.

So in other words you are prepared to castigate someone without hearing their side of the story and with evidence solely from some organisation with an axe to grind.

Me I'd prefer to know the whole details before a trial by media...

I read this statement. It seems the council is building a bridge elsewhere. So I'll continue to boycott the produce of Sam Smith's.

I bet Smiths are getting the administrators lined up already ... :D

It's amazing he find time to combine brewing ale and having a top international singing career (now Oscar nominated no less) And now you want him to faff about with bridges?

Give the man a break.

I bet Smiths are getting the administrators lined up already ... :D

So in other words you are prepared to castigate someone without hearing their side of the story and with evidence solely from some organisation with an axe to grind.

Me I'd prefer to know the whole details before a trial by media...

Actually it is my choice what I drink. There are plenty of breweries I can give business to without putting my pennies the way of this one. If at some stage information comes to light that they have been badly done to in this matter I might change my mind. But I'm pretty sure that I'll not be alone in giving The Old Brewery a wide berth.

Actually I never said it wasn't your choice now did I? So please take your faux outrage elsewhere. (along with your populist claptrap)