Should we boycott Sam Smith's Brewery?

Sam Smith's Brewery and its’ owner are once again causing controversy. This time it is by not allowing land owned by the brewery to be used to accommodate a temporary footbridge to allow Tadcaster residents to cross the river whilst the road bridge is rebuilt.

This isn’t the first time Sam Smith’s have caused controversy. A few years ago a microbrewery was prevented from selling bottled beers for a forces charity because they claimed they owned the Yorkshire “white rose” trademark.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=653215

I also seem to remember their refusal to allow school kids to use a footbridge to get to school when some other road scheme was being completed.

There is already a petition asking Sam Smith’s to reconsider their policy regarding the bridge.

https://www.change.org/p/samuel-smiths-brewery-allow-a-temporary-pedestrian-bridge-in-tadcaster-to-be-placed-on-land-owned-by-sam-smith-s-brewery

But in the meantime I will not set foot inside any Sam Smith’s pub or buy any of their bottled beers.

Edited by foxy lady

Sam Smith's Brewery and its’ owner are once again causing controversy. This time it is by not allowing land owned by the brewery to be used to accommodate a temporary footbridge to allow Tadcaster residents to cross the river whilst the road bridge is rebuilt.

This isn’t the first time Sam Smith’s have caused controversy. A few years ago a microbrewery was prevented from selling bottled beers for a forces charity because they claimed they owned the Yorkshire “white rose” trademark.

I also seem to remember their refusal to allow school kids to use a footbridge to get to school when some other road scheme was being completed.

There is already a petition asking Sam Smith’s to reconsider their policy regarding the bridge.

https://www.change.org/p/samuel-smiths-brewery-allow-a-temporary-pedestrian-bridge-in-tadcaster-to-be-placed-on-land-owned-by-sam-smith-s-brewery

But in the meantime I will not set foot inside any Sam Smith’s pub or buy any of their bottled beers.

No! its not up to Sam smiths Brewery to provide a crossing its the councils and i am guessing the brewerys insurers have said no way.

Interesting. I read one news site which had a statement from the brewery pushing the blame on the council.

However, another news site had this missing paragraph if a temporary bridge is erected:

Our small brewery is in a position to achieve a temporary permissive pedestrian access on the east side of the viaduct well above the flood plain which would be useable not only for pedestrians but wheelchair and pushchair users. This work would be undertaken entirely at our cost.

If NYCC in the restoration would widen the bridge sensitively as was done in the 19th century, preferably on the downstream side, by approximately one metre so as to achieve for the long term good pedestrian, disabled and pushchair width across the bridge as a whole, we would be happy to give any necessary land at the sides of the bridge that belongs to the brewery for that achievement.

I wonder why this was omitted?

But they also want assurances that the council will widen and maintain the repaired bridge better.

I don't drink their beers anyway on the basis that there are far far tastier beers out there.

No! its not up to Sam smiths Brewery to provide a crossing its the councils and i am guessing the brewerys insurers have said no way.

And the council couldn't possibly insure the bridge on behalf of general public...

What ever happened to community spirit ? The brewery and council should work together to have a temporary footbridge built asap .

And the council couldn't possibly insure the bridge on behalf of general public...

its not a case of insuring the bridge its the laibility of the public whilst on the brewery land getting on and off and getting to the land, blame the compensation culture.

Look North seem to have it in for Sam Smiths. This is the second time they've had a go at them.

As always, what is left out of a TV item is at least as interesting as what is left in.

Sam Smiths is very good beer, better the nearer you get to Tadcaster. Their IPA is good as is the organic lager. :thumbsup:

its not a case of insuring the bridge its the laibility of the public whilst on the brewery land getting on and off and getting to the land, blame the compensation culture.

The brewery haven't mentioned insurance as an issue.

You pick ONE example of a style where ONE of Sam Smiths beers happened to come 4th? On that basis you must cream yourself over the Cigar City brews. But then I must admit I am a big fan of Wayne Wambles (yes, that is indeed the brewers name!)

Or alternatively, you could try this beer which is widely regarded as the best in the world:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/russian-river-pliny-the-elder/8936/

Tho I will be honest, the bottle of it I had in Berlin, wasn't.

Even so, I'm with Stoaty - Sam Smiths are nowhere near the same league as some of the brewers out there. Boycotting them will not be a problem.

Plus people on their land makes theft/trespass easy.

That and the fact that the bridge will become heavily used and require maintenance.

What has Tadcaster Council or the Govt or Yorks Water offered them to ensure they suffer no detriment?

---------- Post added 15-01-2016 at 13:23 ----------

Sam Smiths is very good beer, better the nearer you get to Tadcaster. Their IPA is good as is the organic lager. :thumbsup:

Only ever seen it in The Brown Bear. And I'm not overly impressed, far better out there