4 reasons why Labour lost the election

That does not mean its a good thing for the party in power to have a large percentage of ministers being one type of person, one type of self interest and no experience of ordinary people.

So what Corbyn is doing to the Labour Party is very bad then?

Heaven forbid we should have EDUCATED people in charge of us.

Does your snide comment imply that you would have a thicko from Stoke poly in charge or someone who has had tha best possible education and most intelligent people running the country.

Receiving the best possible education does not mean you are the most intelligent.

The price of toilet rolls.

I remember shops selling toilet roll with thatchers face printed on each sheet!

So what Corbyn is doing to the Labour Party is very bad then?

The leader of a party should be somewhere in the middle of the party, but the MPs are more to the right, the new members are more to the left.

The Greens were getting some of the old Labour voters, because the party(Labour MPs moved to the right). When the rich control the news media, they often portray the left as loonies or incompetents, rarely on the side of ordinary people.

I remember shops selling toilet roll with thatchers face printed on each sheet!

I don't think Eric would buy those unless he has a serious poor taste in interior design, and used it as wallpaper. He could paste them into a scrapbook for bedtime reading though...:suspect:

Receiving the best possible education does not mean you are the most intelligent.

No. I agree. But you definitely can't get into Oxbridge if you are uneducated or stupid. You have to be REALLY REALLY clever to get in there.

---------- Post added 15-01-2016 at 14:05 ----------

That does not mean its a good thing for the party in power to have a large percentage of ministers being one type of person, one type of self interest and no experience of ordinary people.

I would agree that the best thing would be to have a balance. But the worst thing would be to promote people beyond their ability, just to satisfy numbers.

---------- Post added 15-01-2016 at 14:32 ----------

I only had a quick glance, but the first few cabinet members are

Cameron (Slough Grammar, ahem)

"Cokehead" (Winchester, public)

Hammond (Shenfield High School)

May (Grammar/ Comp)

Gove (Comp then scholarship to independent School)

Fallon ( Doctor's son, independent school)

Javid (Comp then Technical college)

It's quite a broad range.

If you want the most local minister to Sheffield, you have Paddy McLoughlin, who went to a local maintained school, then Agric college and the son of a miner and an ex miner himself too.

You dont have to scratch very hard to see through the lie that all the tories are priveledged.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabinet_of_the_United_Kingdom

Miliband lost them the election.

True, he had the charisma of a wet lettuce, he was a boy among men.

It certainly doesn't but no amount of intelligence will help you if you have no knowledge.

The world's most powerful computer is of little use if it was programmed badly.

Edited by foxy lady

Don't judge the country by the insular experiences in South Yorkshire and Sheffield. It was the Sheffield council leader at the time who said he wanted to fly the Red Flag over the council buildings. The country loved Thatcher for taking on the Unions who were crippling the country. They loved her so much she increased her voter share at each election.

Thatcher won, outright and this is why some still have a chip on their shoulder. They didn't like losing. But then don't forget that Blair (the most successful Labour leader/PM in decades) openly claimed to be the heir to Thatcher.

One thing I liked was the community charge. Everyone paid a bit in for what we all use.

Edited by spilldig

One thing I liked was the community charge. Everyone paid a bit in for what we all use.

It was probably the reason John Major won his election. Many people, tax evaders mostly, didn't register to vote, so that they thought they wouldn't be traced to pay the Community Charge.

Just a theory.

I didn't see much mention of Scotland in the news about the report??

Didn't Labour loose nearly 50 seats there??

I'm not saying Scotland lost them the election, but loosing those seats wasn't going to make winning the election very likely.

Our Royal family aren't on the front bench or in the cabinet. Talk about a strawman.

The remark by blake, was a snide remark which I questioned (sorry I missed the ? from the end of the sentence). I have had no reply from him.

There is a high standard required to get into Oxbridge. They are the best Universities in UK, only the cleverest get to study there.

Eton is one of the best schools in the world, people make huge sacrifices to send their children there. From all over the world. It too has a high requirement for entry. *Even higher for bursaried and scholarship students.

No strawman there - It is an example of the best education being given to people who are not the most intelligent.

Eton - *my bold : You make my point the great unwashed have to be even cleverer to get in. Which means if you don't have money you have to be cleverer than those with money. It was ever thus.