Cross lit-up on near the Stocksbridge bypass!!!

Has anyone else seen the Cross thats all lit up at the top of the hill near the Stocksbridge bypass? Just wondered if I was seeing things :confused:

Well it can't be the knights of the Ku Klux Klan. The Yorkshire chapter had to be known as T'KKK.

:D

That cross has always been lit up on the hillside at Stocksbridge for as long as I can remember (early 80's) long before the bypass was built.

The cross at the top of Hunshelf Bank has been there every Easter for as long as I can remember (nearly 40 years). Back then they used to have a torchlight parade up to the cross - don't know if they still do.

sssshhhhh, you will have some one wanting it removed through etnic reasons

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

as far as i remember it has been there for years,a nice sight,stood up there in the darkness

sssshhhhh, you will have some one wanting it removed through etnic reasons

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

as far as i remember it has been there for years,a nice sight,stood up there in the darkness

well i wouldnt be surprised, if somebody said it was upsetting

well i wouldnt be surprised, if somebody said it was upsetting
nothing would surprise me lately mate, see what happens on the 24th st georges day

wasnt that someone elses birthday as well? im not to sure..a famous german from history perhaps.:hihi:

nothing would surprise me lately mate, see what happens on the 24th st georges day

wasnt that someone elses birthday as well? im not to sure..a famous german from history perhaps.:hihi:

got it.

it was artur schnabel lipnik,the composer,thought he was german, apparently not ,hes from austria

As always, the only people complaining about things being PC are the ones who complain about being PC. :roll:.

Move along, let's not get this thread bogged down in something stupid.

I've always enjoyed seeing the crucifix while travelling north. It reminds me of those Easter trips via Woodhead to Blackpool in the 70's with my Grandad. Now, if only Pablo's was still the same. :cry:

It might not be fundamentalist Christians, hooded KKK fanatics but maybe a renegade Scottish Clan who took up residence in the Stocksbridge area after 'the clearances'. Traditionally, the Scots Clans were called to battle by the symbol of a flaming cross [which the KKK borrowed]. 'Sassenach' motorists should be on the alert.

It might not be fundamentalist Christians, hooded KKK fanatics but maybe a renegade Scottish Clan who took up residence in the Stocksbridge area after 'the clearances'. Traditionally, the Scots Clans were called to battle by the symbol of a flaming cross [which the KKK borrowed]. 'Sassenach' motorists should be on the alert.

An amusing but unlikely explanation timo.

Whilst the bleak moorland setting may have appealed to a renegade clan, any clansmen reaching Stocksbridge would have been severely weakened by clashes with the Barnsley and Penistone tribes on their way south. They'd have been easy pickings for the fearsome Stocksbridge "valley boys".

Longcol,

I concur with your cogent, anthropological observation. The tribesmen of the remote Stocksbridge enclaves ['half-devil, half-child'] are renowned for their martial vigour and enmity towards all strangers. It is said that they are so in-bred that a blue-eyed man is looked upon with great suspicion. I have observed cases of Steatopygia [enlarged, football-like buttocks] amongst the womenfolk too, which I previously only encountered amongst the remnants of the San tribes of the Kalahari. The Stocksbridge accent seems akin to Kalahari 'click-language' too, so I conjecture genetic drift between the deserts of the Kalahari and 'the valley'. Just a few scholarly observations made in good faith.