Scotland Street: Queens Hotel and Robert Neill & Co

There's lots happening on Scotland Street at the moment.

In addition to the construction of more student accommodation (15/01794/FUL) at the former Princess Works there is some work taking place on the old Queens Hotel and Robert Neill & Co buildings. I did try to include a street view link but I don't have enough posts yet - try S3 7BX.

Last week, the entire frontage was covered in scaffolding. The windows have been boarded up, the boards have been painted black, and 2 ventilation grates have been added to every board. It looks like a very careful job, and it appears that great care has been taken to make the buildings as presentable as possible. There was considerable foliage growing out of the Queens Hotel, which has been removed, and a very large skip was filled with waste from inside and outside both buildings.

I can't find any planning applications, so my first guess is that the developers of Princess Works are trying to neaten the area up, to improve the appeal of the student accommodation they are building.

Does anyone know any more about the future of these two buildings?

Luxury apartments and student accommodation. The front of the hotel has to stay the same tho, as it's listed.

I asked one of the workmen last week.

Thanks for your reply. I had found an old planning application (from 2007) with a proposal for this.

I'm glad that the area is 'on the up'. That stretch of Scotland Street has been a wasteland for as long as I've known it, which seemed such a waste with its proximity to the City Centre.

It's good to see what looks like a good news story on here, for a change.

Its been such a shame to see the state the hotel was in. Ive been interested in it because I work near there, and it also turns out a friend of mines relative actually owned it around 100 years ago!

The Queens Hotel has been closed since 1997 I really like the frontage design not so much bothered about the Neil's building. The old pub looks a mess but given a chance it could look good. The inside still has some original features the building dates from 1928 . I really hope something is done sooner than later with the building.

ah, yes Robert Neills, it's all flooding back now, i can remeber Colin who worked on the counter and Vinney who ran the Queens, happy days.

I Think your memory may be playing tricks with you. I believe "Mine Hosts" when it closed, were Vern & Wyn Hookway . Last I heard, the Robert Neil building was owned by Edmundson Electrical.

Ah yes, that's them, Vern had problems with an old war wound to his leg i believe, used to play snooker in there with him on quiet days.

Edmundson Electrical now that's a turn up Robert Neills also used to be an electrical wholesalers and still is.

A few more names i remember from Neills are , Gary Bishop, Alan Dixon, Pete Baxter, Andy Kentzer, Steve Lambert, Steve Brailsford.