Amount of Paracetamols?

just out of interest.. does anyone know what is the absolute maximum of paracetamols that you can take without doing harm?? i know it says something like 8 on the packet but will a few more hurt? X

If you need anymore than that then casualty mighnt be the best bet?:thumbsup:

I don't know the figures, but it can be a very toxic and dangerous drug; if you're in doubt you could maybe try ringing NHS direct.

I think it would depend on the state of your liver at present and you won't know that unless you visit a hospital. If it's in a bad way then just one could kill you, sounds extreme but true.

if you take to many then the option would be that you will finnish up in the A&E having your stomach pumped out, my youngest daughter when she was 22 she took I think it was about 14 of the paracetamols she passed out and we had to rush her to the hospital. so I would be very careful if I was you take over the stated dose and you could find yourself in trouble and we sure dont want to lose you on the forum.

You can only have 8 in 24 hours without risking damage to your liver if you are an adult. This is so your liver can filter them through so you dont overdose by having too much in your body!

If you are needing to take more than this then go to A&E or youre GP so you can get some stronger painkillers, dont take more than you should. Ring NHS Direct if in doubt coz this forum is not the best place to be getting info like that

Due to a recent spell in hospital I found out that taking more than 8 Paracetamol will not do anything as far as getting rid of the pain is concerned.

How many have you actually had hun? You can take ibprofen alongside paracetamol if your needing more pain relief? Just make sure you check the side effects etc co u cant take ibuprofen if ur asthmatic and some other probs

i think the amount must vary per person, a few years back i tried to do a cry for help by having copious amounts of vodka and then taking 40 aspirin.

not a thing happened, i even went out that night and was fine the next day, so my attention seeking was wasted!

Obv i dont recommend you take as many as i did..... ;)

Just follow the instructions.

Paracetomol overdose will not have an immediate effect but can cause death up to a few weeks later as a result of liver failure.

i think the amount must vary per person, a few years back i tried to do a cry for help by having copious amounts of vodka and then taking 40 aspirin.

not a thing happened, i even went out that night and was fine the next day, so my attention seeking was wasted!

Obv i dont recommend you take as many as i did..... ;)

Did you still get a hangover ?