Decent behaviour on the roads

Nobody was absolutely in the right or wrong. Both drivers mistook the other's intention. The 4x4 took hesitation as indicating they should keep on coming. The OP assumed it would pull in at some point they could see.

We all make mistakes. However, different vehicles certainly are easier to reverse than others. My car is easier than the minibus, Land Rover or 4x4 pick up I sometimes drive. No matter which I were driving I'd normally give way to any vehicle if they were coming up hill as described. If there were indeed spaces to pull in I would have driven down to such a place rather than wait at the top.

Regular users of a road may also have a better idea of where passing places may be, and the view from the top may give a different perspective than from the bottom.

I would normally acknowledge any driver who gives way to me, and normally get an acknowledgement back. Sadly, it seems some drivers today do assume they have the absolute right of way in all circumstances. They drive all sorts of vehicles and don't acknowledge courtesy from others. They are as often female as male. But as I said at the start, we all make mistakes. Maybe the 4x4 driver made a mistake here, but is otherwise a more considerate driver. Without video evidence we can't be sure.

You could just turn the engine off and sit there, that's what my partner did when faced with a driver who tried to force their way through a too small gap when we had nowhere to go, rather than wait a measly few seconds. Luckily it only took about 30 seconds for the other driver to back down and reverse.
if only I'd been that brave!

Nobody was absolutely in the right or wrong. Both drivers mistook the other's intention. The 4x4 took hesitation as indicating they should keep on coming. The OP assumed it would pull in at some point they could see.

We all make mistakes. However, different vehicles certainly are easier to reverse than others. My car is easier than the minibus, Land Rover or 4x4 pick up I sometimes drive. No matter which I were driving I'd normally give way to any vehicle if they were coming up hill as described. If there were indeed spaces to pull in I would have driven down to such a place rather than wait at the top.

Regular users of a road may also have a better idea of where passing places may be, and the view from the top may give a different perspective than from the bottom.

I would normally acknowledge any driver who gives way to me, and normally get an acknowledgement back. Sadly, it seems some drivers today do assume they have the absolute right of way in all circumstances. They drive all sorts of vehicles and don't acknowledge courtesy from others. They are as often female as male. But as I said at the start, we all make mistakes. Maybe the 4x4 driver made a mistake here, but is otherwise a more considerate driver. Without video evidence we can't be sure.

I get what you're saying and I could almost agree except that it was obvious the nearer the other driver got that the sensible option was for him to pull in. I didn't drive down because there was plenty of space on his side just in front of my car and none on mine, His attitude and speed suggested aggression, probably as you say an assumption that he had the absolute right. Of course we all make mistakes, but like others, I acknowledge, I give way and am generally courteous on the roads. It just makes life that bit more pleasant.

Not unusual behaviour these days, I'm afraid.

The thing that really gets me is when I stop to give way to an oncoming driver, and the person behind me decides to overtake and cause absolute havoc.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

This happened to me recently at the top of Addy Street. The vehicle behind me, a 4x4 incidentally, decided to overtake me when I pulled in to allow traffic up the road which caused gridlock ! If I pull in to allow traffic through I now always put my right indicator on to give the numpties a clue !

MS MACBETH sorry you where in the wrong,runningman1 was right,but to-days drivers only think about them selves,a few years back i was driving a van not white along the road,my side clear traffic the other side cars parked along for at least a 100 yards when a morris moggie came flying along,when the car came ins toward me,i saw the car was full of nuns and the driver had her eyes closed.

I was waiting patiently at the one way stop on Carfield Road next to the bus stop top of the hill, 6 cars went through, after the 7th car nice and clear i went through , only for a Nissan Micra to speed up the hill and try to get through before me , she was determined not to stop (stupid woman ), i had to stop half way through thinking is'' she actually going to stop '' she did fortunately , I kept my cool and just shock my head at her. ( I'm a 4 x 4 driver :roll:) opps. We get bullied on the roads too :hihi:.

I find it annoying when i have let someone through even if i have right of way and they do not ackmowledge the fact that i have done so,i usually say thank you back at them on their behalf

Stick in mud:

HC does not allow for a "right of way" in any circumstance (page 34).

---------- Post added 10-01-2016 at 20:52 ----------

It seems your the one in the wrong. The driver has assumed you have left enough room to get past and he was also travelling up hill so right of way

Uphill, downhill, vehicles parked on your side, their side ... Makes no difference.

Notional priority and courtesy etc but no right of way.

Who arrives first at the blockage, how big/long is it?

Mind you, that's not to say I don't have sympathy with the OP - I have noticed myself that some drivers of 4x4's have yet to find where their brake pedal is.

Edited by DT Ralge

It seems that all the pressure is on the drivers to negotiate hazards caused by the owners of the parked cars. If an accident occurs can owners of parked cars be involved in insurance claims and the blame game?

Stick in mud:

HC does not allow for a "right of way" in any circumstance (page 34).

Hurrah! Someone else actually understands the nuance of "priority" vs "right of way"

It seems that all the pressure is on the drivers to negotiate hazards caused by the owners of the parked cars. If an accident occurs can owners of parked cars be involved in insurance claims and the blame game?

Unfortunately not ihpb. I once witnessed an accident which would not have happened had a disabled stickers car not been parked on double yellow lines. The driver of that vehicle said he had a right to park there. The police said he was in the wrong parking there because of a restriction and did fine him but laid no blame on him for the accident.

If cars were parked solid on your side of the road, this means that you should have given way does it not?

Not if you've already started to overtake them before the car coming the other way approaches - you then have priority. You can't pull in if cars are parked solidly on your side.

Another rule that most people don't know.

Not if you've already started to overtake them before the car coming the other way approaches - you then have priority. You can't pull in if cars are parked solidly on your side.

Another rule that most people don't know.

That just makes so much sense. Anyon turning into the road would have had to overtake the parked cars, and the car coming up was far enough away to have had time to pull in. Reversing toward a main road isn't a good move, and that was my issue. I couldn't believe the other driver lacked so much awareness, and it would have been much simpler for him to pull into a space and let me through. I guess his ego was bigger than mine, like his car!

My mantra for driving is to always think that other drivers are going to make mistakes and when approaching tricky situations always let other drivers through. Saves me a headache.