Just pulled by Police for no insurance.

But how would they know you were innocent unless they checked? In this case you've been both unlucky and lucky. The police would have entitled to impound your car, but sounds like you passed the 'attitude test'!

What a mess, I have also just double checked my paperwork too to make sure there's not been a similar mistake!

I meant no follow-up with a prosecution now the mess has been resolved. I didn't have an issue about being pulled but she really thought I was lying about something. Fortunately she had enough doubt to not impound the car.

I hadn't intended to spend the best part of half an hour in the back of a police car tonight but it would have been much worse if the car had been impounded.

The police officer really wasn't having my version of events but I cast enough doubt in her mind to get to keep the car. It was just like an episode of that police programme where they ask loads of questions trying to catch-out the perpetrator and then say, "Now tell me the truth".

So I got home, went online to check my documents and found out that the "U" in the registration is showing as a "V". From now on I will keep documents in the car.

Just had visions of Mrs Doyle from Father Ted " Ah go on now, go on, go on,go on"

interesting ... I am also insured with Aviva - called them to check my insurance policy to see whether I was tied to just one place of work as I need to travel for a course and during the discussion it was revealed that my fairly expensive insurance that I'd taken out on-line did not cover me for 'commuting' !!

Wonder what they thought I did in my limited free time (as they know I work FT) to rock up 25k miles per year :D :D

They amended it (waived the fee, so kind) but it just shows how important it is to check documents.

The police officer really wasn't having my version of events but I cast enough doubt in her mind to get to keep the car. It was just like an episode of that police programme where they ask loads of questions trying to catch-out the perpetrator and then say, "Now tell me the truth

Police pretty heavy these days :shakes:

Bad luck mate!

Taint like seventies! :D

interesting ... I am also insured with Aviva - called them to check my insurance policy to see whether I was tied to just one place of work as I need to travel for a course and during the discussion it was revealed that my fairly expensive insurance that I'd taken out on-line did not cover me for 'commuting' !!

Wonder what they thought I did in my limited free time (as they know I work FT) to rock up 25k miles per year :D :D

They amended it (waived the fee, so kind) but it just shows how important it is to check documents.

Insurance is fine until you need it. I once claimed on a car that was damaged by someone breaking in to it and paid the money back after I realised I had lost my no claims. No one told me at the time I would end up worse off. I now get protected no claims and ensure I am covered for commuting between different sites, not just 'to and from' a place of work. It really is a case of 'Caveat Emptor'.

---------- Post added 09-01-2016 at 22:17 ----------

Police pretty heavy these days :shakes:

Bad luck mate!

Taint like seventies! :D

It wasn't bad luck. It was a clerical error that was fortunately brought to light before it became a critical issue.

Many years ago, well before everything was electronic, I was once stopped by the police and subsequently had to produce my documents at a police station.

When I did this, the desk officer noticed that the registration number on the MOT certificate was out by one character, and so wouldn't accept it. Everything else was in order.

I had to go back to the testing station for a replacement. This would involve him, in effect, giving me a new back-dated certificate with the correct number. At first he refused to give me one saying that he couldn't, in law, as he wasn't allowed to back-dated an MOT. Although he was prepared to give me one to cover the remaining period of the original certificate, ie only part of a year. This was no good to me as it didn't cover the time when I had been stopped, so the police wouldn't accept it.

In the end, after I had threatened to sue, and get him some bad publicity through the local paper he relented and gave me a back-dated certificate, so I was OK.

I don't know if he was being truthful when he said he couldn't give me a back-dated certificate, and so was breaking the law when he subsequently did, but it seemed to make sense as he was prepared to give me one for the rest of the year. I also don't know if I would really have had grounds to sue. I didn't mind what the reason was, I was just relieved that it had been sorted.

I've been careful to check documents since.

Edited by Eater Sundae

I now get protected no claims

I stopped having PNC many years ago after I discovered it was really just a waste of time....Your PNC (unless it has changed) will only apply with the present Ins company you are with,"it does not travel"..so to speak.In the event of an accident when your Ins renewal comes round ...as everyone knows...it is always lots more than the previous year because they are more interested in giving new customer's bigger discounts than looking after loyal ones.I always shop around,and (usually) always get a better deal on comparison sites.If you are unlucky enough to have a claim and try to go elsewhere on your renewal... if you think it is too much... you will probably find your PNC is no good and only applies with your present company,with any other you will have to state a claim and the Insurance company will base your quote on this likely with a loss of NCD.So in reality the present Ins company have you by the short and curlies and can charge whatever they like.If I am wrong on this and things have changed then someone will say.Give the insurance a bell and ask them.

I stopped having PNC many years ago after I discovered it was really just a waste of time....Your PNC (unless it has changed) will only apply with the present Ins company you are with,"it does not travel"..so to speak.In the event of an accident when your Ins renewal comes round ...as everyone knows...it is always lots more than the previous year because they are more interested in giving new customer's bigger discounts than looking after loyal ones.I always shop around,and (usually) always get a better deal on comparison sites.If you are unlucky enough to have a claim and try to go elsewhere on your renewal... if you think it is too much... you will probably find your PNC is no good and only applies with your present company,with any other you will have to state a claim and the Insurance company will base your quote on this likely with a loss of NCD.So in reality the present Ins company have you by the short and curlies and can charge whatever they like.If I am wrong on this and things have changed then someone will say.Give the insurance a bell and ask them.

I used to shop around but had a car stolen just over a year ago and would have to declare that if I moved insurer. What worries me is that my company has moved my NCD to my wife without even asking me. This is something I have to fathom as we will be reverting to a car each soon rather than sharing one and alternating the insurance so we both maintain our NCD.

It wasn't bad luck. It was a clerical error that was fortunately brought to light before it became a critical issue.

Bad luck

To be pulled for it :thumbsup:

I hadn't intended to spend the best part of half an hour in the back of a police car tonight but it would have been much worse if the car had been impounded.

The police officer really wasn't having my version of events but I cast enough doubt in her mind to get to keep the car. It was just like an episode of that police programme where they ask loads of questions trying to catch-out the perpetrator and then say, "Now tell me the truth".

So I got home, went online to check my documents and found out that the "U" in the registration is showing as a "V". From now on I will keep documents in the car.

Much the same happened to me a few years ago - bought a second hand car, bought insurance and was stopped by the police. One letter was wrong on the insurance document. The officer that stopped me was business like but very polite. I had to produce the correct reg number on my insurance documents at a police station and all was sorted.

There's nothing much more scary than seeing those blue lights behind you in your rear view mirror though is there ? My blood ran cold !:(

Much the same happened to me a few years ago - bought a second hand car, bought insurance and was stopped by the police. One letter was wrong on the insurance document. The officer that stopped me was business like but very polite. I had to produce the correct reg number on my insurance documents at a police station and all was sorted.

There's nothing much more scary than seeing those blue lights behind you in your rear view mirror though is there ? My blood ran cold !:(

She followed me in to the car park. No siren, just a short burst of blue light from an unmarked car but I knew it was meant for me. I thought it was for no seat belt initially but I was wrong.