What has happened to the Gleadless Valley.

To true my friend, have you seen the "Clampetts" as they are named the Mother wears thick lens glasses, always the same grey tracksuit, both her adult children have never worked, like their parents. All the family have disability pass and you can see there's nothing wrong with the grown up children, don't work, wont work. They live down on Callow, its the sandwich shop that draws them with hot drinks and sandwiches, its time the dregs of humanitythat infest Newfield Green shops want moving on.

Le gasp. This is Sheffield Forum, you'll be told in no uncertain times this isn't true and a massive exaggeration.

Le gasp. This is Sheffield Forum, you'll be told in no uncertain times this isn't true and a massive exaggeration.

I'm afraid it's all true, heavens above no! I hope free speech is still alive.

We moved on the estate around 1959/1960 first we lived on Overend Way in a tower house, after my dad passed away mom moved to a flat on Plowright close it was a nice place to live, I moved away in my 20's but mom still lived there until her passing in 2007 9 years ago today, when I went back every year to visit I was afraid of leaving her it was so nasty the Newfield Green shops were so dirty i was afraid for her living just across the street from them, sad it was such a nice place so clean and well kept.

There are still many beautiful gardens in the area . but times change and they are all indoor now grown with special lamps.

There are still many beautiful gardens in the area . but times change and they are all indoor now grown with special lamps.

"Self-financing" too

With regard to rubbish and disrepair in some neighbourhoods I think residents should take note of the Broken Window Theory:

"The theory states that maintaining and monitoring urban environments to prevent small crimes such as vandalism, public drinking... helps to create an atmosphere of order and lawfulness, thereby preventing more serious crimes from happening".

If I lived in Gleadless Valley I would join the Residents Association and actively take part in and encourage regular and thorough cleanups and repairs and actively discourage low level anti social behaviour.

This is not rocket science. I don't understand why the more able residents do not take this on and keep at it.

Because some of us work full-time

I worked in Gleadless for a few month last year and I wouldn't necessarily say it's a sink estate - Yes the houses are pot ugly and there might be a few littering issues (although not any worse than other areas of Sheffield). What lets Gleadless down the most are its chavvy residents - they are of course not all like that (there are many unfortunate pensioners who have to live there) but there are enough of them to let me want me to avoid the area. There are also no other shops but Farmfoods and Co-op in front of which you mostly see people who are half cut, screaming and arguing and generally people with massive social problems. Oh and the CID regularly pays a visit to Gleadless. Makes you feel right at home...not!

To true my friend, have you seen the "Clampetts" as they are named the Mother wears thick lens glasses, always the same grey tracksuit, both her adult children have never worked, like their parents. All the family have disability passes and you can see there's nothing wrong with the grown up children, don't work, wont work. They live down on Callow, its the sandwich shop that draws them with hot drinks and sandwiches, its time the dregs of humanity that infest Newfield Green shops want moving on.

That made me laugh, I knew exactly who you meant.

I've not seen them for years but they were like that in 1998 when I lived on Gleadless Road.

Like I said in my previous post, Gleadless Valley is a large area and the part being criticised is a few shops and a few streets. Of course there are pockets, as everywhere but the majority is well looked after. Even affluent areas have neglected houses and gardens and even "indoor gardens." I think it's unfair to generalise and judge Gleadless Valley on the behaviour of a minority.

The council need to enforce contracts. Those not looking after property and immediate surroundings and those causing nuisance to others need warnings and then action.

There is not an estate in Sheffield to match the beauty of these surroundings.

I agree. But the Council's budget has also been cut and they simply can't afford to employ enough people to do all the things that need doing. Same with the police; how long have people been asking for 'bobby's on the beat.' A regular patrol might help.

Time was when people who wanted a council house were very carefully vetted, they had to be the right type and respectable. People saw being allowed to have a council house as a real privilege.