Old house, Top of Blackstock Rd

That could be Ivy Cottage a little further along on Hemsworth Road. I remember it being a dairy and it's still there.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s17115&prevUrl=

I see the similarity but that one is shown as right up to the road on early maps and the window sizes and spacings don't match.

Yes, you're probably right. The fence matches though!

I see the similarity but that one is shown as right up to the road on early maps and the window sizes and spacings don't match.

Yes, you're probably right. The fence matches though!

----------------------------

I have just noticed that Street View is giving me a different picture to Satellite view, Bing and Google Earth, of the 'Bullivant' farmhouse, so it looks like a large building has been recently erected to the right of the farmhouse. That won't help much.

Although I am not sure of the exact age of the house I am told it's around 300 years old and was built for the district circuit judge, practicing at the Bagshawe perhaps ?. I seem to recall trying to figure out how old it was some years ago and at that time getting an age of around 270 years which would put it at around 290 years old now. It was originally just one dwelling and later divided into two, one side facing Blackstock road and the other side facing Blackstock drive.

Apparently called "Last Cottage" due to it being the last house on the lane (Blackstock road) at the time.

My Father lives in this house (n.o. 40)  since 1983, it is indeed divided into 2 now. Some of the above is what I believe is shown on the deeds except "Last Cottage" refers to the last house on Backmoor Road as Blackstock Road didn’t exist when the house was built.

Frank Green was the occupant at no 42  when my parents moved in and there have been several owners since.

My parents purchased the house from the estate of the deceased Mrs Vardy, who it is said was the local money lender, quote a formidable character I have been told and not very well liked. There were several hidden safes in the house, nothing in them though.

• Thanks 1