Old house, Top of Blackstock Rd

----------------------------

That's interesting, I have never seen that and can't now because I am 600 miles away. Do you mean the farmhouse that kris99 pointed out? It's track appears to have joined Hemsworth Road just about where Mawfa Crescent nearly meets the same. (Nearest end to roundabout). We now have two interesting houses.

i think its near the roundabout at the water tower end.bullivant or bullifant owned the farm,im told his father owned the old dairy building at the side of graves park.there is an old cottage just passed the new inn.His father lived on abbey view road where there are still some old houses.apparently you could go potato picking on the old farm.there is an old link on forum.norton farming history [archive]the bagshaw arms used to hold petty court sessions upstairs.if you picture all these buildings down towards woodseats you have some idea what it was like.a friend who lives on abbey view road gave me this info,his father and grandfather grew up around these times,but sadly his father now has dementia.

Edited by robbo22

The list of farmers in the 1925 Kelly's Directory includes "Henry Bullifent, Hemsworth" and "George Bullifant, Jordanthorpe, Norton".

i believe which interestingly its bullivants farmhouse,theres an old gate post somewhere near the roun.dabout[/QU

Looked on a couple of genealogical sites and there are one or two Bullifant farmsteads. One at the side of the White Hart Greenhill which interestingly

one of my ancestors ran, think the Bagshaw family owned the land. One shown Cinderhill/Lightwood.

I spoke to someone who lived in a house at the side of the Mawfa Crescent farm in 1980/1990 and she said it was owned by a Mr and Mrs Bullivant. I remember visiting an aunt whos garden came to the bottom of the farmyard and can remember chickens running about.

Can't find anything out about the one which was demolished.

Next time I'm in town I'll call in local studies at the library and see what, if anything, I can find out about the house at the top Blackstock Road.

Anyone know specifically where this old gate post is please?

I see it nearly every day it must have been a farm house and belonged to the bagshaw estate at some time I am always driving and never get time to see if theres a plaque or notice o it but I will try and find out steve:thumbsup:

Always curious when I pass 40/42 Blackstock Rd on the Gleadless Valley estate. An old house amongst the 1960's council development. How old is it, was it a farm building ?

Please respect the privacy of the existing occupants ! Anyone with knowledge ?

Although I am not sure of the exact age of the house I am told it's around 300 years old and was built for the district circuit judge, practicing at the Bagshawe perhaps ?. I seem to recall trying to figure out how old it was some years ago and at that time getting an age of around 270 years which would put it at around 290 years old now. It was originally just one dwelling and later divided into two, one side facing Blackstock road and the other side facing Blackstock drive.

Apparently called "Last Cottage" due to it being the last house on the lane (Blackstock road) at the time.

That's fascinating. Apparently a hotbed of minor gentry around there at that time. Bagshaws, Norton Oakes, Norton Hall, Norton House, few hundred yards away from the house.

Chantreyland, local history book written by Harold Armitage in 1910 is a very interesting read for those interested in history of Norton and surrounding villages/hamlets. Very little about Backmoor though.

Although I am not sure of the exact age of the house I am told it's around 300 years old and was built for the district circuit judge, practicing at the Bagshawe perhaps ?. I seem to recall trying to figure out how old it was some years ago and at that time getting an age of around 270 years which would put it at around 290 years old now. It was originally just one dwelling and later divided into two, one side facing Blackstock road and the other side facing Blackstock drive.

Apparently called "Last Cottage" due to it being the last house on the lane (Blackstock road) at the time.

--------------------------

That's great ptathion, I thought this one might just peter out.

There is a painting of a house at Backmoor from Sheffield Museums that is featured on BBC Your Paintings site, but no information, it is probably not there now unless anyone can identify it ? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/cottage-at-backmoor-norton-sheffield-78263

Edited by Boginspro
link problem

My opinion is that the picture is the 'Bullivant' farmhouse identified by kriss 99.

The 1875/6 OS map in post #4 seems to show the principal buildings, trees and boundary walls (the field gate at the left of the picture seems to be set back a few feet from the corner) matching the picture's layout.

The view is from the road access looking North.

My opinion is that the picture is the 'Bullivant' farmhouse identified by kriss 99.

The 1875/6 OS map in post #4 seems to show the principal buildings, trees and boundary walls (the field gate at the left of the picture seems to be set back a few feet from the corner) matching the picture's layout.

The view is from the road access looking North.

-------------------

Thanks, I checked on Google Satellite View (the house looks correct) and on another map linked below and I think you have it.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/101600244

There is a painting of a house at Backmoor from Sheffield Museums that is featured on BBC Your Paintings site, but no information, it is probably not there now unless anyone can identify it ? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/cottage-at-backmoor-norton-sheffield-78263

That could be Ivy Cottage a little further along on Hemsworth Road. I remember it being a dairy and it's still there.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s17115&prevUrl=

That could be Ivy Cottage a little further along on Hemsworth Road. I remember it being a dairy and it's still there.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s17115&prevUrl=

--------------------------------

I see the similarity but that one is shown as right up to the road on early maps and the window sizes and spacings don't match.