Old house, Top of Blackstock Rd

I was told by a reliable source they were farmworkers' cottages but they look a bit grand for that. There's a large farmhouse backing onto Mawfa Cres. a short distance from them. It's been modernised but kept its' character. Up until the 1970's Backmoor Road had quite a few old buildings but all replaced with modern houses. At the side of the Nailmakers Arms there was a row of nailmakers' cottages. The tenants were apparently heartbroken when they had to move out and into modern buildings. Two sets of semis have taken their place.

--------------------

On the old map there are no roads linking directly to the house near Mawfa Crescent or any where else apart from Green's Lane (Backmoor Road) and Blackstock's Road. There is a large building showing straight across Blackstock's Road, could that have been a farmhouse or farm buildings? I have just noticed that Blackstock Road is refered to as Blackstock's with an apostrophe, so what or who were Blackstock.

Boginspro

On the link you posted, there is a portion numbered 712-1. If you look on the top right hand corner outside the outline, there's a building which I think could be the farmhouse I mentioned. If you follow Backmoor Road which is now Hemsworth Road, it looks like there is a road/footpath leading to it just before the Hemsworth village.

Boginspro

On the link you posted, there is a portion numbered 712-1. If you look on the top right hand corner outside the outline, there's a building which I think could be the farmhouse I mentioned. If you follow Backmoor Road which is now Hemsworth Road, it looks like there is a road/footpath leading to it just before the Hemsworth village.

----------------------------

Yes I agree that must be the farmhouse you mention, if you bring up the modern transparency over the old map it is in the same place. I did not make myself very clear, what I meant was that if the buildings belonged to the same farm I would have expected it to show a direct track across or round that field. Of course it doesn't mean there wasn't one or that the buildings were not in the same ownership.

I would still like to know what that building or buildings were across Blackstock Road where it becomes a track, there must be a record somewhere.

...I have just noticed that Blackstock Road is refered to as Blackstock's with an apostrophe, so what or who were Blackstock.
Peter Harvey, in his book Street Names of Sheffield gives the origin of the name but this doesn't explain the apostrophe: "from an old Norton field name, Black Stocks. The name appears on a map of the area made in 1808. Stock, or stocks, comes from an old English word, stocc, meaning land with tree stumps left standing".

Peter Harvey, in his book Street Names of Sheffield gives the origin of the name but this doesn't explain the apostrophe: "from an old Norton field name, Black Stocks. The name appears on a map of the area made in 1808. Stock, or stocks, comes from an old English word, stocc, meaning land with tree stumps left standing".

--------------------

Good one hillsboro, thanks. Are there any more building names or descriptions on that 1808 map please?

Maybe my reliable source wasn't so reliable. Wonder if they might belong to quarry owners. It's short walking distance from quarry to the house. I do know there was more than one farm in the area, one being compulsory purchased and demolished to make way for the estate but not sure where it was. Must have been one of the buildings shown but presumably farm workers cottages were built nearer the farm.

I was told the house at Blackstock was originally one house divided into two.

Edited by kris99

Good one hillsboro, thanks. Are there any more building names or descriptions on that 1808 map please?

Peter Harvey doesn't actually show the map he refers to. Lots of old maps are available online, for example via the National Library of Scotland website, but the ones I have looked at don't seem to tell us much about the old house. Here is a sample from the 1870s (click on the "+" or turn the mouse wheel to enlarge).

Peter Harvey doesn't actually show the map he refers to. Lots of old maps are available online, for example via the National Library of Scotland website, but the ones I have looked at don't seem to tell us much about the old house. Here is a sample from the 1870s (click on the "+" or turn the mouse wheel to enlarge).

Yes, I use NLS all the time, I love the maps on there with the modern transparency available. I have trolled through their maps and quite a few other sites but so far nothing that has not been mentioned in this post. As there were two houses there I would think there is a fare chance they were built for workers , but they are not the usual humble cottages so presumably quite important top of the tree workers, perhaps farm or quarry managers.

Ive purchased quite a few maps from NLS website, all of the same area but of different eras. They are fascinating to look at and see the changes over the years.

Could Blackstock be derived from the neighbouring area Backmoor?

Peter Harvey, I knew him well, a really nice guy but sadly passed away sometime ago.

i believe its bullivants farmhouse,theres an old gate post somewhere near the roun.dabout

i believe its bullivants farmhouse,theres an old gate post somewhere near the roun.dabout

----------------------------

That's interesting, I have never seen that and can't now because I am 600 miles away. Do you mean the farmhouse that kris99 pointed out? It's track appears to have joined Hemsworth Road just about where Mawfa Crescent nearly meets the same. (Nearest end to roundabout). We now have two interesting houses.