Old house, Top of Blackstock Rd

Always curious when I pass 40/42 Blackstock Rd on the Gleadless Valley estate. An old house amongst the 1960's council development. How old is it, was it a farm building ?

Please respect the privacy of the existing occupants ! Anyone with knowledge ?

Never noticed this house before, despite driving past it often. Looking on Google earth its quite a big house with lots of land around it.

Come on folks, must be somebody out there that knows something about this house !

Looking at 2 books here, Images of England compiled by the Norton History Group and no references to the property, find that strange. There are some forum folks with old Kelly's Directories, have a look please at 40/42 Blackstock Rd and tell us what you find.

Come on folks, must be somebody out there that knows something about this house !

Looking at 2 books here, Images of England compiled by the Norton History Group and no references to the property, find that strange. There are some forum folks with old Kelly's Directories, have a look please at 40/42 Blackstock Rd and tell us what you find.

---------------

Here it is on an old map from the turn of the 20th century and you can bring a modern overlay up with the slider at the bottom left of page.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=53.3400&lon=-1.4517&layers=6

Looking at 2 books here, Images of England compiled by the Norton History Group and no references to the property.

Do you have any more details of your Norton History Group book please?

...There are some forum folks with old Kelly's Directories, have a look please at 40/42 Blackstock Rd and tell us what you find.
The older Kelly's directories that I have don't show any even numbers on Blackstock Road. Directories from the 1950s and 1960s show the numbers either side, but not 40/42! :|

Nearer to the nail makers end of black stock road I presume?

--

Yes, just about opposite the end of Backmoor Road which the Nailmakers is on. Backmoor Road was Greens Lane on the map I linked to above. If you use the overlay Nailmakers appears to be on that old map though not marked as a pub..

---------- Post added 08-01-2016 at 22:56 ----------

-----Ariel View from Picture Sheffield. Nailmakers centre and the house in question to the right.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;w00656&prevUrl=

Edited by Boginspro

Do you have any more details of your Norton History Group book please?

Images of England compiled by Norton History Group. Published 2000 by Tempus Publishing

ISBN 0 7524 2052 6

Images of England compiled by Norton History Group. Published 2005 by Tempus Publishing

ISBN 0 7524 3656 2

2 books on the local history of Norton and surroundings, a must read with some interesting photos and text

Pretty sure that Waterstones / WH Smith or Sheffield Scene will still have copies

---------- Post added 08-01-2016 at 23:00 ----------

Thanks hillsbro and Boginspro for your contribution

I have a 1974 Kelly's Directory, & it shows that No. 40 was occupied by Mr. Geo. W Vardy, and No. 42 was occupied by Mr. Frank Green.

I must have walked by it many times on my way to and from Matthews lane school in the early 60's we used to go to the chip shop on that road near the nail makers pub, I have never been able to contact anyone going to Gleadless Valley Secondary Modern School I often wonder what happened to all of the ones I went to school with.

I was told by a reliable source they were farmworkers' cottages but they look a bit grand for that. There's a large farmhouse backing onto Mawfa Cres. a short distance from them. It's been modernised but kept its' character. Up until the 1970's Backmoor Road had quite a few old buildings but all replaced with modern houses. At the side of the Nailmakers Arms there was a row of nailmakers' cottages. The tenants were apparently heartbroken when they had to move out and into modern buildings. Two sets of semis have taken their place.