Do Combi-Boilers effectively 'waste' water?

We also have a water meter Pete, and really we didn't notice any difference in bills after we had a combi boiler fitted, so I should say, don't worry. As far as personal hygiene goes I am fastidious. I shower every six months whether or not I need one. Hi.

As often as that?...:shocked:

I wouldn't worry about it Pete, we've got a combi and went on a water meter a few years after the kids left home. We save nearly 200 quid a year and still run the taps for hot water and the cold for brushing teeth etc. As you know more people, more cost and if you're out at work all day you'll use even less.

Some friends of ours who both work save even more than us, plus the fact that when you're on holiday you're using nothing.

I wouldn't worry about it Pete, we've got a combi and went on a water meter a few years after the kids left home. We save nearly 200 quid a year and still run the taps for hot water and the cold for brushing teeth etc. As you know more people, more cost and if you're out at work all day you'll use even less.

Some friends of ours who both work save even more than us, plus the fact that when you're on holiday you're using nothing.

You might want to think about having your hot water valve diaphragm checked a small tear can mean it takes a long time for the boiler to kick in. Also worth checking the HW actuator and sensor. Not expensive parts and all doable by seem competent diyer.

You might also want to think about reducing your water pressure... Must of us could save tones of water this way.

The other thing to think about is to have narrow diameter pipes fitted (6mm). They can be installed through existing pipes and therefore you don't need to rip up flooring etc. This can reduce volume of water considerably(75%)saving.

Some observations based on my own situation...

Its just that by doing that the hot water that is already heated will come through first making it quicker to use so I assume less water would actually be used.

I tried the pre heat setting on my combi.

Yes, hot water arrives at the tap quicker (the preheated water) followed by luke warm water as the boiler fires up to heat the water now required.

Unless you just want a little hot water for hand washing then the preheat is useless. Filling a bowl for washing pots is impossible without "wasting" the unwanted cold/lukewarm water, making the preheat setting more expensive as the boiler fires up occasionally to preheat even when not used.

Turn off the preheat..waste a little water ...receive hot water at the tap....simples.

The idea of collecting the waste and putting in the washing machine is laughable.

The first thing my washing machine does when starting a new wash cycle is pump any water left in the tub from a previous wash, before filling with fresh water.

As for a water meter.....Yorkshire water (prior to having a meter installed) charged me £50 per month for eight months of the year.....I.e. £400 per year.

Water meter installed in my new location in Wales and I pay £20 a month for the whole twelve months....I.e £240 per year.

I don't excessively waste water, but neither do I constantly worry about the wastage.

Anyway.....to sum up.

Thumbs up for both a combi boiler and a water meter.

Just turn off the preheat thingy.

The engineer who serviced our boiler said the wait for water to get hot is an issue for older combis. Interestingly, when the central heating is on, the water gets hot fairly quickly. I don't use the run off to flush the loo etc, but in the summer I often fill a spare bowl and use it to water the garden. I feel quite virtuous doing that, but even as a Scot I'm not tight/careful enough to resort to things like putting unused hot water out of the kettle into a flask for later. Yes, an old boss of mine did just that!

Hi Pete. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Water costs roughly £2 per cubic meter. Assuming that your pipes are roughly 1cm in diameter, you could fill over 25 km of pipe for £2.

As others have said, the saving on your gas bill is more significant.

Edited by MLAR

As often as that?...:shocked:

yes, and sometimes I have a bath instead. Lol

---------- Post added 08-01-2016 at 09:57 ----------

The engineer who serviced our boiler said the wait for water to get hot is an issue for older combis. Interestingly, when the central heating is on, the water gets hot fairly quickly. I don't use the run off to flush the loo etc, but in the summer I often fill a spare bowl and use it to water the garden. I feel quite virtuous doing that, but even as a Scot I'm not tight/careful enough to resort to things like putting unused hot water out of the kettle into a flask for later. Yes, an old boss of mine did just that!

We can even do better. If you really want to save money you can fill buckets with it and use them to flush the toilet.

Edited by spilldig

yes, and sometimes I have a bath instead. Lol

---------- Post added 08-01-2016 at 09:57 ----------

We can even do better. If you really want to save money you can fill buckets with it and use them to flush the toilet.

I do hope you 'share' the water! It's the 'green' thing to do, then use the leftovers to bucket down the loo. :cool:

I do hope you 'share' the water! It's the 'green' thing to do, then use the leftovers to bucket down the loo. :cool:

Now there's an idea Pete, and you could even save a few buckets in summer and have a cold shower with them. :)

Now there's an idea Pete, and you could even save a few buckets in summer and have a cold shower with them. :)

:suspect:

Hang on a bit!...

... how much are all these buckets going to cost? :huh:

:suspect:

Hang on a bit!...

... how much are all these buckets going to cost? :huh:

They're multipurpose. You could even use your existing mop bucket. See...I'm not daft :suspect:

Why the horror at only putting one cup in the kettle? It takes far less time to boil and saves a lot of energy and hence money (if thats all you're bothered about). The kettle is one of the most power hungry things in the house.