Do Combi-Boilers effectively 'waste' water?

:huh:

It's nothing to worry about Mr Pete.

It's just that you've now lived here so long that you're showing the first signs of becoming an honorary Yorkshireman.

Now, to become a fully paid-up member, instead of letting cold water go straight down the plughole, you need to collect it in a washing up bowl so that you can work out the exact quantity wasted (in cubic metres) and then calculate the exact number of pennies it's costing you.

You can then use the collected water to flush the loo/lavatory/toilet* (*depending on your %age Yorkshireness)... :)

Good grief, you're not suggesting that Yorkshire people are a 'tad' tight are you? :)

Good grief, you're not suggesting that Yorkshire people are a 'tad' tight are you? :)

:roll:

The word you're looking for is 'careful', Mr Pete! ;)

I thought the combi boiler waste water was very acidic and had to be flushed only into certain types of drains.

I thought the combi boiler waste water was very acidic and had to be flushed only into certain types of drains.

Not the same thing..you're thinking condensate waste.

As for the op..the combi doesn't waste..it's user wastes. Mr Bloke got it right in post 12.

Edited by cassity

:roll:

The word you're looking for is 'careful', Mr Pete! ;)

Pardon me, I stand corrected! :|

I think you are thinking of a condensing boiler, where the water is pre-heated by extracting as much heat as possible from the flue gas before it is discharged out of the flue. (Thus it is making more efficient use of the heating value of the fuel). As a result, this condenses out the water vapour part of the flue gases, and drips out the resulting water. Any impurities in the flue gas (such as sulphates or similar in the original fuel gas) would get dissolved out by this condensing vapor, thus making the dripping water a little acidic.

Not the same thing..you're thinking condensate waste.

As for the op..the combi doesn't waste..it's user wastes. Mr Bloke got it right in post 12.

I'm definitely not using a bowl for my ablutions!..That's outrageous!!! :suspect:

I'm definitely not using a bowl for my ablutions!..That's outrageous!!! :suspect:

Pour it in your washing machine?

Pete,one bloke I know uses rain water for flushing the loo,he went barmy when someone flushed it.He also puts one cup of water in the kettle.

Pour it in your washing machine?

What?...That's even worse!

So now to be a fully fledged (honorary) Yorkshire man, I've got to collect the water being run from the sink into a bowl, do my ablutions in it, and then pour it in the washing machine?

Get a grip now Pete, be sensible

As others have said, the issue is not a combi boiler versus boiler and water tank issue. Water is wasted because the point of use (your tap) is a long way from the source of hot water (tank or combi boiler). If you don't use the tap for a while, the water standing in the pipe cools down - thus you've wasted the energy you spent in heating it up in the first place, and you need to run this cold water away before getting any new hot water. Ideally, your hot water tank or combi boiler would be immediately next to the tap, so there would be no need to run off any cold water.

In the case of large buildings such as offices, large apartments etc, having long pipe runs between the hot tank and the taps can result in a big energy cost. in these cases it is usual to provide a hot water circuit by pumping from the hot water tank around in a loop and back into the tank. This pipe is well insulated and there is very little heat loss. The loop runs close to the taps, such that there is only a short spur of pipe which could cool down.

Domestically, this isn't usually enough of a problem to require a hot water circuit(although I don't know how big Morris Mansions is),

Pete,one bloke I know uses rain water for flushing the loo,he went barmy when someone flushed it.He also puts one cup of water in the kettle.

Really?...That's a bit extreme....