Hi - Scout Archivist here

Hi SheffScouts - there is an old thread here which you may find of interest.

In the 1950s I was in the 238th cubs; our "akela" was Miss Eva Mills (1902-81), a lovely lady. I think that at that time we were the only cub pack in the area not connected to a church. When the lease expired on our Avondale Road HQ in 1958 we began to use one of the cellars at Owlerton Church vicarage, but we were still a "free" pack and not formally connected to the church. I proudly wore my uniform (with "sixer" stripes) at the Sutton Coldfield Jubilee Jamboree in 1957 (I still have my souvenir woggle) and in the City Hall the same year when the Chief Scout Lord Rowallan visited.

Edited by hillsbro

Hi Duffems, I was also in 74th Oak St , I found outlast week on a Facebook group " Heeley past and present" that Ivan Huchinson cub leader had died some years ago, worth a look.

Hello Scout archivist

Please does "Scouts" include Cubs too?

Hey Duffems...was also in the same troop......great times 'tracking' thru Cat Lane Woods...... and didn't they go to Thorpe Hesley annually.....there was also Capt. Knight around at that time altho I believe he got himself into some trouble a few years later!

I have a commemorative Scout mug from 1957, (handle missing) with a rose on it with " 1857 - 1907 - 1957" on it that you can have if you want it for the archive. My husbands father was a Badge officer for the Scouts for many years. I live in Walkley now. Any interest? On the other side of the mug it says "Sutton Coldfield"

The mug refers to the Sutton Coldfield International Jamboree in 1957.

---------- Post added 30-05-2018 at 20:57 ----------

Hello Scout archivist

Please does "Scouts" include Cubs too?

It certainly does!

Edited by SheffScouts

Hey Duffems...was also in the same troop......great times 'tracking' thru Cat Lane Woods...... and didn't they go to Thorpe Hesley annually.....there was also Capt. Knight around at that time altho I believe he got himself into some trouble a few years later!

Hi 74th scouters,

I Passed my "fire lighting" test as part of my Tenderfoot badge in Cat Lane woods. Don't remember much about my past scouting days. Only the annual camping trips to Filey/Whitby.

Edited by Peter Tottle

Former Sheffield Scouts and Cubs may be interested in two websites:

"Sheffield Scout Archives" which contains a lot of the history of Scouting in Sheffield, including details about each of the Groups and Leaders. Feel free to visit.

"Sheffield Scout History Forum" which is a forum for former Sheffield Scouts and Cubs to exchange recollections etc. Feel free to join in.

I like the comments about 74th. I am George Bunting's oldest daughter. Just a note Ivan should be Ivor. Check the Sheffield Scout Archives for photos and information about 74th.

Sorry. As we used to sing around the camp fire" you will never get to heaven in Ivers car, cause Ivers cat won't go that far". Do you also remember mr Gillmore.

Oh, yes, there were lots of them:

"you will never get to heaven with a fat girl guide, cause a fat girl guide won't get inside"

"you will never get to heaven on Glyn's menu, cause a Glyn's menu, aint got new stew"

Always finished with:

"you will never get to heaven, St Peter said, he closed his book, and went to bed"

Also enjoyed singing the full set of "On Ilkley Moor bar 'tat" especially when camping with scouts from other parts of the country.

---------- Post added 05-06-2018 at 07:05 ----------

I was with 242 Walkley Ebenezer - fun times and fond memories.

Cubs was run by (I think) John Falconer or Falkner. I was in "pink" six and eventually became the sixer.

Scouts was run initially by Derek Smalley and then John Sutcliffe with his brother Pete Sutcliffe.

We also had a sort of venture scout group at the top end of the ages.

Played in band (drummer) and went on a few camps. Annual Whit walk to Weston Park with Sunday School Queen and Captain.

Anyone else with 242 or remember me?

Edited by TWhits