Sign in to follow this  

Cost of getting a new A/C Port Installed

Hello,

I have an Acer Travelmate but it would seem that it needs a new A/C Port. It will only charge at the moment when the charger is plugged in at an odd angle and resting against something. I've tried another charger and it makes no difference.

It's a single prong Port but looks like the metal either side has bent back so not getting a good connection. I'm in the process of attempting to push the metal out again but no joy so far.

Does anyone know what the rough repair cost would be to get a new A/C Port fitted? I'm trying to weigh that up against the cost of a new laptop.

The first thing i can say, is stop using it, continuing to charge and use the laptop with a faulty port could damage it further, perhaps beyond repair...

find the exact model number, and let me know, can price it up for you once I know which one it needs! :)

it's usually around £30-£40 fitted though, depending on which socket is, (some ar on a plug in board, some on cable, some need soldering)

The first thing i can say, is stop using it, continuing to charge and use the laptop with a faulty port could damage it further, perhaps beyond repair...

find the exact model number, and let me know, can price it up for you once I know which one it needs! :)

it's usually around £30-£40 fitted though, depending on which socket is, (some ar on a plug in board, some on cable, some need soldering)

Thanks, not using it isn't an option unfortunately. The model is Acer TravelMate P253-M 15.6-inch.

I can do it for £30 it doesn't require any Soldering for this one...

here's the socket, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-Travelmate-P253-E-P253-M-P253-MG-Power-DC-Jack-Socket-Cable-Wire-NEW-/181749927714

as you can see, it's unplug old, plug in new.... just stripping the laptop down to do it is time consuming...

Unless you feel happy doing it yourself! :)

I've had nightmares involving a stripped computer and not being able to put it back together again!

I've had nightmares involving a stripped computer and not being able to put it back together again!

Well, if you want to order it, and let me know when it gets to you, i'll be happy to sort it, drop off one day, pick up the next :)

Well, if you want to order it, and let me know when it gets to you, i'll be happy to sort it, drop off one day, pick up the next :)

Thanks, will do :)

Pre internet days I stripped down a laptop to replace a faulty part which was due next day.

It turned out to be on back order and took two months.

By the time it arrived I'd forgotten how to put it back together again.

Thank God for YouTube and teardown videos!

Thanks Ghozer, it's working like a treat. I really appreciate you doing it so quickly.

Thanks Ghozer, it's working like a treat. I really appreciate you doing it so quickly.

No problems! :)

Glad you're happy! :)