Gold label down again

I saw a mate of mine, back in the 50's, down a pint glass of Barley Wine. It was in the Minerva down Charles St. He didn't do it in one hit, but he certainly did it. Flash git, good though.

As for myself, I was refused a second bottle in Jersey, because it was too strong to drink more than one.

What was the difference between ' Final Selection ' and 'Gold Label' Barley Wines, (wine ?), Were they both Tennant-(Whitbread) products ?

I worked at the Oakley Road, Luton brewery, and we used to get FSA in to the packaging lab. I seem to remember it was brewed at Faversham or Wateringbury, but not many people used to drink that compared to the number drinking gold label. My memory of it was that it was drier and very bitter - but no hop aroma so perhaps closer to an old fashioned IPA as sent to India.

What was the difference between ' Final Selection ' and 'Gold Label' Barley Wines, (wine ?), Were they both Tennant-(Whitbread) products ?

Final selection was not a Barley Wine, Gold Label was and is

Final selection was not a Barley Wine, Gold Label was and is

gold label "barley wine" had no barley in it and, it was not a wine it was and still is a beer

I worked at Whitbreads in the early seventies, I was told,I can't say if it's true or not but Gold Label was originally made from rice, then that proved unsatisfactory, Barley was then chosen which we see today. Bitter was brewed for just over an hour while Gold Label was brewed for four hours. John Smiths offering was labelled Old Ale.

[/b]

gold label "barley wine" had no barley in it and, it was not a wine it was and still is a beer

Do you realise that Malt used for brewing is Barley after it has been germinated in the Oast Houses in Kent, after Malting it goes to the mill and turned into grist

---------- Post added 22-08-2017 at 17:03 ----------

I worked at the Oakley Road, Luton brewery, and we used to get FSA in to the packaging lab. I seem to remember it was brewed at Faversham or Wateringbury, but not many people used to drink that compared to the number drinking gold label. My memory of it was that it was drier and very bitter - but no hop aroma so perhaps closer to an old fashioned IPA as sent to India.

I was at Oakley Rd too for a year in the late 60s

I worked at Whitbreads in the early seventies, I was told,I can't say if it's true or not but Gold Label was originally made from rice, then that proved unsatisfactory, Barley was then chosen which we see today. Bitter was brewed for just over an hour while Gold Label was brewed for four hours. John Smiths offering was labelled Old Ale.

Are you Lazlo?

---------- Post added 22-08-2017 at 20:14 ----------

Do you realise that Malt used for brewing is Barley after it has been germinated in the Oast Houses in Kent, after Malting it goes to the mill and turned into grist

So if i understand you correctly, i could call i pint of beer a pint of barley wine, the onley real difference with ingredients between gold label and beer apart from the strength of gold label was the hops.

Are you Lazlo?

---------- Post added 22-08-2017 at 20:14 ----------

So if i understand you correctly, i could call i pint of beer a pint of barley wine, the onley real difference with ingredients between gold label and beer apart from the strength of gold label was the hops.

No I'm not the likeable Lazlo I'm afraid.

Gold Label Down Again.

1. At the age of 16-17 I drank Gold Label barley wine…it was the second time I had supped it. The first time and the last time. Ugh. The place of my near poisoning was the Minerva (Whitbread), on Charles Street. 1970-71. I do remember seeing many women drinking Barley wine when I wondered around the pubs. One particular ‘lady’ I saw drank the stuff as if there was no tomorrow, in the Bull & Oak (Whitbread) on the Wicker.

--

2. Anybody remember Gold Label lager? also Whitbread.

--

3. I recall during the mid-90s I spent some time in the Stag (Whitbread) on Psalter Lane. Some of the beers were Trophy, Boddingtons, Eden, and Castle Eden. The lagers included Stella and Gold Label. At a later date I was told, due to a member of the Heineken family joining the board of directors at Whitbread, Gold Label Lager, was no longer brewed, which would then increase the sales of Heineken lager. Can anyone confirm this? I don’t SUPpose it (Beer)matters really because not long afterwards, John Major started with his Monopolies and Mergers Commission thing, which seemed to speed up the process of pubs perishing.

--

4. Having come back to Britain in the 90s (abroad 17 years), I was unpleasantly surprised to see ‘Pints’ poured into unlined glasses. Under measures! When Tony Blair (Stalinist Tory LOL) became Prime Minister, he approached the beer people as regards to re-introducing outsize (lined) glasses. Their response was that pints would then go up in price due to new glasses being produced – 16p per pint. Blair tried again a later date, but again without success. Just think how many under-measured pints are poured per week in this nation, it’s a handsome profit for the beer people…thieving rats!

Cut out the snobbery, and bring back full pint measured electric beer! And bring back staff who can work out prices in their heads instead of mucking about at the computer tills.

I stand corrected on any of the above.

Gold Label Down Again.

1. At the age of 16-17 I drank Gold Label barley wine…it was the second time I had supped it. The first time and the last time. Ugh. The place of my near poisoning was the Minerva (Whitbread), on Charles Street. 1970-71. I do remember seeing many women drinking Barley wine when I wondered around the pubs. One particular ‘lady’ I saw drank the stuff as if there was no tomorrow, in the Bull & Oak (Whitbread) on the Wicker.

--

2. Anybody remember Gold Label lager? also Whitbread.

--

3. I recall during the mid-90s I spent some time in the Stag (Whitbread) on Psalter Lane. Some of the beers were Trophy, Boddingtons, Eden, and Castle Eden. The lagers included Stella and Gold Label. At a later date I was told, due to a member of the Heineken family joining the board of directors at Whitbread, Gold Label Lager, was no longer brewed, which would then increase the sales of Heineken lager. Can anyone confirm this? I don’t SUPpose it (Beer)matters really because not long afterwards, John Major started with his Monopolies and Mergers Commission thing, which seemed to speed up the process of pubs perishing.

--

4. Having come back to Britain in the 90s (abroad 17 years), I was unpleasantly surprised to see ‘Pints’ poured into unlined glasses. Under measures! When Tony Blair (Stalinist Tory LOL) became Prime Minister, he approached the beer people as regards to re-introducing outsize (lined) glasses. Their response was that pints would then go up in price due to new glasses being produced – 16p per pint. Blair tried again a later date, but again without success. Just think how many under-measured pints are poured per week in this nation, it’s a handsome profit for the beer people…thieving rats!

Cut out the snobbery, and bring back full pint measured electric beer! And bring back staff who can work out prices in their heads instead of mucking about at the computer tills.

I stand corrected on any of the above.

Funny you should mention Gold Label on draught, oh I know you meant the lager, but the barley wine itself was on draught at the Ladybridge, pumped in direct from the brewery, I heard tell. I don't know if the last part was true, but know it was availlable there, but nowhere else. Wish we could get it over here in Canada, used to love the stuff, in moderation, of course.;)

Bass on Claywheels lane used to bottle Gold Label for Whitbread ,also once a month Guiness used to be bought over from Dublin for bottling.