How to help rough sleepers in Sheffield?

38 Degrees are organising a petition to try to pressure SCC to open up empty/disused buildings to the homeless, as Manchester has already done. The petition goes in tomorrow. I've signed it via an email I got from them but cannot for the life of me find the relevant page on their website, but if you've got more time you may be able to find it.

Thank you.

Sounds like this might be it....

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/sheffield-city-council-open-empty-bulidings-as-winter-shelters

My own personal opinion of this is, some people cannot handle the stress of managing day to day things like paying bills, shopping, and looking after themselves in general, and of course mental illness i suspect plays a big part.

---------- Post added 05-01-2016 at 13:01 ----------

38 Degrees are organising a petition to try to pressure SCC to open up empty/disused buildings to the homeless, as Manchester has already done. The petition goes in tomorrow. I've signed it via an email I got from them but cannot for the life of me find the relevant page on their website, but if you've got more time you may be able to find it.

SCC has given a comment about this i am not sure if the Archer project hsd been in talks with them.

See post 7

There's so many schemes, projects and hostels etc around that there shouldn't be any reason for anyone to sleep on the streets.

It's not a major help but I keep a bag of old hats scarves, socks, and gloves in my car. If I see any I offer them.

It is actually a major help- if it was common for most people to do the same, and, to include some food, there'd be a lot more homeless with hats/warms clothes and a bit of food in their bellies.

---------- Post added 05-01-2016 at 14:25 ----------

There's so many schemes, projects and hostels etc around that there shouldn't be any reason for anyone to sleep on the streets.

Maybe when people grasp the fundamental fact that, some homeless are not able to engage with schemes/projects/hostels, they'll cease to be confused about why there are still people sleeping on the streets?

Creating more schemes/projects/hostels for people who clearly don't/won't/can't engage with schemes/projects/hostels is not going to work for them, is it?

Edited by onewheeldave

It is actually a major help- if it was common for most people to do the same, and, to include some food, there'd be a lot more homeless with hats/warms clothes and a bit of food in their bellies.

My colleague offered a homeless lady a freshly laundered nearly new Trespass fleece a few weeks ago, and got told she had 'massively overstepped the mark' and the offering was refused.

I offered a homeless chap a pair of mens' brand new woollen socks still in their Primark bag and complete with receipt and he refused (in fairness to him I don't think English was his 1st language and he may not have understood) but it does tend to put you off trying to help.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote tags

I think council figures show that there are around 12 rough sleepers in Sheffield. The number of people offering help appears to vastly outnumber those in need.

---------- Post added 05-01-2016 at 14:25 ----------

Maybe when people grasp the fundamental fact that, some homeless are not able to engage with schemes/projects/hostels, they'll cease to be confused about why there are still people sleeping on the streets?

Creating more schemes/projects/hostels for people who clearly don't/won't/can't engage with schemes/projects/hostels is not going to work for them, is it?

Then those who WON'T engage with such, only have themselves to blame and should be dealt with by police and/or community support officers, questioned as to why they are on the streets in the first place, and put into whatever rehab or help program is needed...

The ones that don't or can't, again, should be talked to by community support, find out WHY they don't or can't, and then helped into one of the schemes and/or hostels...

it wouldn't take much to have a team of people going round talking to the homeless etc, instead of waiting for them to make the move, then complaining about homelessness, if the council don't like it, they should do something proactive about it...

Then those who WON'T engage with such, only have themselves to blame and should be dealt with by police and/or community support officers, questioned as to why they are on the streets in the first place, and put into whatever rehab or help program is needed...

The ones that don't or can't, again, should be talked to by community support, find out WHY they don't or can't, and then helped into one of the schemes and/or hostels...

it wouldn't take much to have a team of people going round talking to the homeless etc, instead of waiting for them to make the move, then complaining about homelessness, if the council don't like it, they should do something proactive about it...

Some people might CHOOSE to live on the street and why should we stop them if they aren't doing anything wrong other than sleeping outside?

But I do agree with you that the ones that do want support but can't access it for any number of reasons should be the ones who get the help first.

Some people might CHOOSE to live on the street and why should we stop them if they aren't doing anything wrong other than sleeping outside?

But I do agree with you that the ones that do want support but can't access it for any number of reasons should be the ones who get the help first.

It's those who choose to live on the streets i'm talking about mostly, it's fine if they choose to live on the streets, but when they then sit there asking for money, or complaining about things because they are on the street, THIS is what narks me the most.... if it's your choice, don't complain.... if you're complaining, then do something about it, by which case it's back to what I said, get off your back side and get to a hostel or something similar...

Ghozer have you ever been homeless or has anyone you've known really well been homeless?

`If you was to read my above post, according to the Archer Project boss, who was on the radio this morning,

"LSS" those on the street are there of there own free will, and wont accept help. As said above there are only about twelve people like that in Sheffield>