Alcohol free beer

Doctors used to advise pregnant women who were at risk of anaemia to drink a couple of bottles of Guinness a day. This was as recently as the 1980s.

Yes, including my own mother, and I turned out fine... *cough* :hihi:

They have a good selection in the Broadfield on Abbeydale Road

At over three quid for a 330ml bottle, where you pour it yourself (I was there at Christmas with friends). Over £2.50 per bottle more than you can get it at Tesco. Mind you, I've been charged over £2.00 (£2.40 I think) for a pint of (homeopathic, judging by the amount of actual juice) orange cordial with tap water in some other pubs.

I fully realise pubs have overheads, but these prices do seem a little steep. Even paying the bartender £10.00 per hour, he'd still have fifteen minutes to pour one of these drinks.

At over three quid for a 330ml bottle, where you pour it yourself (I was there at Christmas with friends). Over £2.50 per bottle more than you can get it at Tesco. Mind you, I've been charged over £2.00 (£2.40 I think) for a pint of (homeopathic, judging by the amount of actual juice) orange cordial with tap water in some other pubs.

I fully realise pubs have overheads, but these prices do seem a little steep. Even paying the bartender £10.00 per hour, he'd still have fifteen minutes to pour one of these drinks.

Best not to look at what they charge for crisps vs Tescos then :)

Doctors used to advise pregnant women who were at risk of anaemia to drink a couple of bottles of Guinness a day. This was as recently as the 1980s.

I know...I was born a generation too late :(

There was a bit on alcohol free (or at least low alcohol) on the Food Unwrapped TV show last night which was quite interesting. There was a company brewing beer with complex sugars and yeast for a short period of time to give it the flavour with very little alcohol. Forget the name now though!

It's called Bavaria, despite being brewed in the Netherlands...

thanks all especially the hint of ice. have erdington if choice as longer but don't get me started on price.......... have had a discussion at my SMART group about how some pubs do not sell any at all - i have walked out of 3 in a row when trying to get sober - have tried complaining to manager but stressful and takes time and energy we agreed that once it is law not to have ANY alcohol in your body pubs will be falling g over themselves to sell - the power of advertising..... still looking out for fruit beer as in original post - help still needed . happy new year to all. do miss Guinness which had when I was pregnant and breastfeeding many moons again. can cope with very low alcohol by the way

Congratulations on staying sober its not easy with all the pressure,alcohol is everywhere.

My friend attends the SMART meetings too hes been dry for nearly 2 years after 40 odd years of alcohol problems.

Agree its really hard finding pubs that do a good selection of alcohol free beers and prices are disgusting only good deal I have found is Wetherspoons/Lloyds do 3 becks blue for a fiver,you have to ask for it though as they don't promote it.

Koppaberg do a lovely alcohol free cider that has a really nice fruity flavour its available at larger Sainsburys but not seen it on a pub outside London.

Edited by Fudbeer

Don't know if you order off internet? But i ordered a load of different drinks alcohol free from http://www.deliciousdrinksshop.co.uk

i think they are based in Netherlands but had case delivered to door in 3 days!

hope this is of use to you

Edited by Set in Stone
spelling

About the only alcohol-free* beer I've had that doesn't taste rubbish is Brewdog's Nanny State. All the others I've tried have been pretty rank, to the extent I'd think what's the point - may as well just drink something that isn't beer!

* it's legally classed as alcohol-free, but in reality is 0.5%

That is interesting. I`m suprised it can be labelled as alcohol free. Tesco sell cans of value brand lager and it is 0.9%. I`m wondering what the cut-off point is where a beer can be legally labelled as alc free.

0.5% or under is classed as alcohol free, I learned this whilst taking my personal alcohol licence course in November just gone...

A beverage is classed as alcohol free if it is 0.05% or less.

Up to 0.5% it is classed as de-alcoholised (Strangely, Wikipedia shows this information the other way around).

• “low alcohol” can only be used for drinks with an alcoholic strength by volume

(ABV) of not more than 1.2%

• "alcohol-free" for drinks with an ABV of not more than 0.05%

• "dealcoholised" for drinks with an ABV of not more than 0.5%

• "non-alcoholic" in the composite name "non-alcoholic wine" (subject to certain

conditions)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/82666/consult-fic-doc-20121107.pdf

---------- Post added 05-01-2016 at 19:56 ----------

Interesting to note that when I do my online shop for Becks Blue (amongst other grocery items) it says it cannot be sold to under 18s.

I've heard this before about Tesco, it's certainly not against the law to serve it to under 18's so any such 'rule' would be an internal policy of their own.

I've noticed that it goes through the self-scan tills okay though, rather than flagging up a flashing light and having to wait for someone to come and verify my age!

Edited by RootsBooster

In sainsburys you have to be over 18 to buy alcohol free beer.

Congratulations on staying sober its not easy with all the pressure,alcohol is everywhere.

My friend attends the SMART meetings too hes been dry for nearly 2 years after 40 odd years of alcohol problems.

Agree its really hard finding pubs that do a good selection of alcohol free beers and prices are disgusting only good deal I have found is Wetherspoons/Lloyds do 3 becks blue for a fiver,you have to ask for it though as they don't promote it.

Koppaberg do a lovely alcohol free cider that has a really nice fruity flavour its available at larger Sainsburys but not seen it on a pub outside London.

The Greene King pups in Sheffield all stock kopperberg alcohol free cider some now stock the mixed fruit but all of them have the pear version