Alcohol free beer

Interesting. When I was pregnant (and in my mid 30s, for the record), I was ID'd when trying to buy alcohol free wine in Morrisons. The confused person on the checkout ended up having to call a manager to sort it all out.

Incidentally, the wine was revolting - I should have stuck with grape juice and saved the bother!

Same here with Sainsbury's and alc. free Kopperberg. Completely agree with booze free wine - like Ribena! To prevent having these experiences again I will be having no more children. ;)

Yeah, I made that mistake in Tesco. I bought the Brewdog's Nanny State as it said 'no alcohol' or 'alcohol free' (can't remember) … when I started pouring it later, I saw it said 0.5% alcohol!

No big deal unless you're an alcoholic like me, whereby any alcohol could/will be very dangerous.

I haven't drunk for several years now, and have no intention of starting again. I just thought it'd be nice to have something that tasted a bit like beer at Christmas, rather than my normal fruit juice. As it is, it ended up down the sink.

This is misrepresentation so far as I'm concerned, apart from being dangerous, and will be taking it up with Tesco as I feel the labelling should be a lot clearer. If it's 'legal' to advertise beer (wine, whisky) with alcohol in it as 'alcohol free', then I feel the law should be changed.

As it is, although back on fruit juice, the 0.0% alcohol 'San Miguel' and 'Bavaria' are quite palatable if served ice cold.

With lemonade they make a great longer drink too.

Top tip if you are drinking becks blue try it with ice seems to improve the taste and makes it last longer too!

The prices some pubs charge for it are disgusting have paid over £3 a bottle in Sheffield!

can't remember exactly but there's cutoffs at 0.5% and 1.2%. I remember as a kid you could buy cans of shandy up to 1.2% sold as a soft drink. not sure if it's even possible to make beer at 0.0%, alcohol-free beer is brewed 'normally' and then the alcohol removed, don't think it can be done 100% efficiently

0.05% or under is classed as alcohol free, I learned this whilst taking my personal alcohol licence course in November just gone...

Edited by mafya
Missed zero out of %

one year i decided i would give up alcohol for lent. the cravings were so bad but i just lived off alcohol free beer and lager. imagine how gutted i was about a week before the end of lent when i read the label to discover that the "alcohol free" stuff does contain a small amount of alcohol. was so gutted i went straight out and bought the real stuff :-)

You had good intention though Monkeygirl.:thumbsup:

thanks all especially the hint of ice. have erdington if choice as longer but don't get me started on price.......... have had a discussion at my SMART group about how some pubs do not sell any at all - i have walked out of 3 in a row when trying to get sober - have tried complaining to manager but stressful and takes time and energy we agreed that once it is law not to have ANY alcohol in your body pubs will be falling g over themselves to sell - the power of advertising..... still looking out for fruit beer as in original post - help still needed . happy new year to all. do miss Guinness which had when I was pregnant and breastfeeding many moons again. can cope with very low alcohol by the way

All I want is alcohol free stout, then I'll sail through this pregnancy. God I miss Millionaire Stout....and it'll be my first post-birth drink regardless of the looks I get off the nurses!

They have a good selection in the Broadfield on Abbeydale Road

There was a bit on alcohol free (or at least low alcohol) on the Food Unwrapped TV show last night which was quite interesting. There was a company brewing beer with complex sugars and yeast for a short period of time to give it the flavour with very little alcohol. Forget the name now though!

There was a bit on alcohol free (or at least low alcohol) on the Food Unwrapped TV show last night which was quite interesting. There was a company brewing beer with complex sugars and yeast for a short period of time to give it the flavour with very little alcohol. Forget the name now though!

I didn't catch the name either, but the brewers were based in the Netherlands. It wasn't clear whether the beer was available in the UK or not, but it did sound promising.

All I want is alcohol free stout, then I'll sail through this pregnancy. God I miss Millionaire Stout....and it'll be my first post-birth drink regardless of the looks I get off the nurses!

Doctors used to advise pregnant women who were at risk of anaemia to drink a couple of bottles of Guinness a day. This was as recently as the 1980s.