Improving My Qualifications in Sheffield

Hi all

I'm 34 and, being honest, didn't do too well at school with regards to my grades. All my own fault, I just wasn't interested.

Now, I'm wanting to better myself, but don't know where/how to begin. I really want to become a writer and English was my best subject at school, so I do have a love of words and how they're put together/their history etc.

I'm wanting to improve my qualifications with the aim of doing something with the written word, but I'm unsure as to what's out there. I've tried Google-ing it, but it's all very confusing. I know you don't 'need' a qualification to become a writer as such, but I feel that some structure to the learning would help me improve and give me something to work towards.

Is 34 too old to contemplate something like this? If not, where's the best place to begin?

Massive thanks in advance.

You could start an Evening class at College. They usually start in September though. I went in my early 30's for gcse English and enjoyed every night of it.

The class was either late teen early 20's who needed a better grade to get into further education or 30 somethings who needed a gcse grade for promotion in their current job.

It is completely different to school. This is a class of adults who want to learn and a teacher who is keen to teach.

Hi all

I'm 34 and, being honest, didn't do too well at school with regards to my grades. All my own fault, I just wasn't interested.

Now, I'm wanting to better myself, but don't know where/how to begin. I really want to become a writer and English was my best subject at school, so I do have a love of words and how they're put together/their history etc.

I'm wanting to improve my qualifications with the aim of doing something with the written word, but I'm unsure as to what's out there. I've tried Google-ing it, but it's all very confusing. I know you don't 'need' a qualification to become a writer as such, but I feel that some structure to the learning would help me improve and give me something to work towards.

Is 34 too old to contemplate something like this? If not, where's the best place to begin?

Massive thanks in advance.

Have a look at Sheffield Colleges. I've been having a look, but most of the things I want to do need an apprenticeship with it (and/or start in Sept)

Alternatively look at OU. There are so many courses that something might catch your eye in the field that you are looking at.

Sounds like you want an English lit or/and English language gcse course.

Did you complete any gcse's in school ?

I can thoroughly recommend the Northern College for a mature student -but if you don't drive it's a bugger to get to- and they have a lot of short courses and some gcse's but it's mostly access courses designed as to gain entry to uni.

---------- Post added 04-01-2016 at 22:18 ----------

in fact, right up your street it seems;

Creative Writing Around Northern

Course Description:

Write creatively and have fun. Use the College surroundings to inspire you, express yourself and be creative.

Course Fee: Free*

Dates:

29 February 2016 - 2 March 2016

4 April 2016 - 6 April 2016

http://www.northern.ac.uk/content/applyOnline2.asp?id=36&cr=1042

The WEA have basic courses that start in January for around 12 weeks.

If you want a qualification then Sheffield College will even do online GCSE English and Maths, though I think they are September start to accommodate the May/June exam.

How about proof-reading? Several courses advertised - sent through post - you 'mark' them and send them back. Pays quite well after qualification and you can pick and choose what to do.

34 isn't old,I took to sociology when I was 40,it was so different than school which I hated,my only regret is that I didn't do it when I was younger.So my advice to you is go for it and do the best you can and good luck.

Been looking at this tonight myself, Sheffield uni has a lot of free courses on offer, a few starting in next few weeks, very diverse list of courses so I'm sure you would find something, and most can be done as distance learning/ e-learning too, also coursea do a range of courses online, free to learn you only pay for the certificates if you require them, good luck, never too late to learn :)