'Smart' Motorways.

I read that too, plus the woman from the AA said that. The point is, what does "closed down a lane" mean ? Does it just mean saying it`s closed on the roadside signs (remember the signs are no longer even directly over the lanes). Or does it mean that the AA / RAC require the Highways Agency to send out a vehicle to park further up the lane with all its lights flashing ? I have to say if I was an AA / RAC patrol man I`d want the latter !

My understanding and from what I've seen is the a a /rac require the said lane Coning off before they attempt recovery

Are you saying the AA said they`d definitely recover your car on the inside lane of a "smart" motorway ? Are we sure they knew we are talking about the budget version smart motorway, not the original M42 version ? If so that`s the opposite of what they told me, well not the opposite exactly, but not the same.

I didnt get into specifics, at lets be honest the M42 (bottom of the M1) utopia will be how the minotirty of smart motorways will be. They didnt quantify it so I'm taking it as read.

it wont be long before Im doing about a thousand miles a week so ill keep on the look out, but my gut feeling is theyll move you first - quickly - and then try and fix you.

---------- Post added 05-04-2017 at 17:13 ----------

I read that too, plus the woman from the AA said that. The point is, what does "closed down a lane" mean ? Does it just mean saying it`s closed on the roadside signs (remember the signs are no longer even directly over the lanes). Or does it mean that the AA / RAC require the Highways Agency to send out a vehicle to park further up the lane with all its lights flashing ? I have to say if I was an AA / RAC patrol man I`d want the latter !

Bear in mind that the RAC/AA etc etc might take a while to get there anyway, HA turning up, and/or lane closure will happen first , most of the time anyway.

Gibbers....

Instead of guessing how bout you all read this...

http://assets.highways.gov.uk/our-road-network/safety/national-vehicle-recovery/Vehicle%20Recovery%20leaflet.pdf

If the AA get to you quickly or are ready when Highways shut the lane off it's free.

Otherwise you pay. Potentially a lot.

---------- Post added 05-04-2017 at 17:45 ----------

Another nice little racket is the way that they charge you for cleaning stuff up. Say you have a crash on the motorway and dump oil on it.

That's going to cost you about £3000. Seriously. Mostly from the cast of closing a lane. Not that they actually do the work as there is certainly a good deal of fiddling going on in this.

Four mornings out of the last five in my commute to work since last Thursday the smart signs have come on 7am showing 60mph it may have been 5 but I was past the last sign by 7 am today. Before anyone asks how I know it is the same time, it is because the 7 am news came on the radio each time. Why are they cutting the speed to 60mph it is not even that busy, also every evening when I get to J35A the speed is limited again at 60mph when it is not overly busy. Are they just cutting the speed limit at peak times to slow traffic down?

Gibbers....

Instead of guessing how bout you all read this...

http://assets.highways.gov.uk/our-road-network/safety/national-vehicle-recovery/Vehicle%20Recovery%20leaflet.pdf

If the AA get to you quickly or are ready when Highways shut the lane off it's free.

Otherwise you pay. Potentially a lot.

---------- Post added 05-04-2017 at 17:45 ----------

Another nice little racket is the way that they charge you for cleaning stuff up. Say you have a crash on the motorway and dump oil on it.

That's going to cost you about £3000. Seriously. Mostly from the cast of closing a lane. Not that they actually do the work as there is certainly a good deal of fiddling going on in this.

I didnt see "quickly" in the link - or any time scale offered. I was waiting on a hard shoulder once for a little over an hour - HA staff who turned up after a spell were getting a bit arsy but nothing more than that. Recovery vehicle turned up not long after that.

Youre right about the last bit though - but if memory serves the caveat was that "if you are at fault". The BBC did an article a couple of years back. Here we are http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19833237

I didnt get into specifics, at lets be honest the M42 (bottom of the M1) utopia will be how the minotirty of smart motorways will be. They didnt quantify it so I'm taking it as read.

it wont be long before Im doing about a thousand miles a week so ill keep on the look out, but my gut feeling is theyll move you first - quickly - and then try and fix you.

---------- Post added 05-04-2017 at 17:13 ----------

Bear in mind that the RAC/AA etc etc might take a while to get there anyway, HA turning up, and/or lane closure will happen first , most of the time anyway.

Do we mean with cones, or just with the red "X". Actually, that may be a silly question, I can`t see Highways Agency staff subjecting themselves to the same level of risk that it`s apparently fine for the rest of us to be exposed to. I`d have thought some cones would go out straight away......

Which leads me to a follow up question. If you have some cones in your car, or (as is a requirement abroad) a warning triangle, what are the rules of you using them / it ? Would the HA or anyone else try to prosecute you for walking back along the motorway and trying to cone off the inside lane ? ! ? Furthermore, would the AA or RAC count that as the lane being closed ? If so, why don`t they bring some cones out and do it instead of copping out and throwing you to the HA for a potential charge ? ! ?

Edited by Justin Smith

It's been open a while now, how many fatalities has the new system caused?

Do we mean with cones, or just with the red "X". Actually, that may be a silly question, I can`t see Highways Agency staff subjecting themselves to the same level of risk that it`s apparently fine for the rest of us to be exposed to. I`d have thought some cones would go out straight away......

Which leads me to a follow up question. If you have some cones in your car, or (as is a requirement abroad) a warning triangle, what are the rules of you using them / it ? Would the HA or anyone else try to prosecute you for walking back along the motorway and trying to cone off the inside lane ? ! ? Furthermore, would the AA or RAC count that as the lane being closed ? If so, why don`t they bring some cones out and do it instead of copping out and throwing you to the HA for a potential charge ? ! ?

I don't think it's a matter for prosecution.

The HC (Rule 275) is very clear, though, in saying "do not use warning triangle on a m/w". (If your car can't be seen from 400 metres, say, parked up up with hazards on, what chance is there of drivers spotting your warning triangle?)

The hard shoulder is the most dangerous lane on the m/w so we should spend as little time as possible on it. Taking time placing cones on it is not a good idea, therefore.

Edited by DT Ralge

I don't think it's a matter for prosecution.

The HC (Rule 275) is very clear, though, in saying "do not use warning triangle on a m/w". (If your car can't be seen from 400 metres, say, parked up up with hazards on, what chance is there of drivers spotting your warning triangle?)

The hard shoulder is the most dangerous lane on the m/w so we should spend as little time as possible on it. Taking time placing cones on it is not a good idea, therefore.

I get your point, though, as we were speculating above, does that also mean limping along in it is also a bad idea ? I`d have thought you`d probably be even more likely to get hit if you`re actually moving, certainly if doing so in the middle of the lane as opposed to far over on the left of it. One has to remember not all drivers concentrate 100% of the time, in fact, no driver concentrates 100% of the time. That would be the reason any warning triangle 100m back would make me feel less vulnerable, even a driver not concentrating would start doing so if he hit a warning triangle......

How many fatalities then?

You made a prediction before didn't you Justin?

Four mornings out of the last five in my commute to work since last Thursday the smart signs have come on 7am showing 60mph it may have been 5 but I was past the last sign by 7 am today. Before anyone asks how I know it is the same time, it is because the 7 am news came on the radio each time. Why are they cutting the speed to 60mph it is not even that busy, also every evening when I get to J35A the speed is limited again at 60mph when it is not overly busy. Are they just cutting the speed limit at peak times to slow traffic down?

And the so called "smart motorway " is not so smart ! 3 days this week travelling up from Nottingham at 3pm....on goes the 60 sign ....2 of these days the motorway wall dead ....what's so smart about a timeclock ?

I get your point, though, as we were speculating above, does that also mean limping along in it is also a bad idea ? I`d have thought you`d probably be even more likely to get hit if you`re actually moving, certainly if doing so in the middle of the lane as opposed to far over on the left of it. One has to remember not all drivers concentrate 100% of the time, in fact, no driver concentrates 100% of the time. That would be the reason any warning triangle 100m back would make me feel less vulnerable, even a driver not concentrating would start doing so if he hit a warning triangle......

If in the past you'd spent any time on the hard shoulder, I think you wouldn't want to walk that (vulnerable) 200 metres.