'Smart' Motorways.

Not so much a case of drivers being tight ,perhaps if prices were a bit more reasonable then more might use them also you have to get in most service area early if you want to stay for the night

I'm not defending the MSAs it's a con, a huge con. You get meal deal - great if anything is open to get food from. I've been to a couple over the last year in the wee small hours and the only thing open was the toilets, everything was unmanned, totally closed or cashing up - although I can't speak for the petrol station part.

Some of them need extending, certainly in my experience the M2 and probably the m20. I don't go down that way often but the last few visits were a real eye opener in terms of hgvs parked in almost random places en masse.

Your right, they just happen to breakdown a lot as they leave motorway services. I've seen this happen on the M2, great queues of them broken down on services slip roads. Maybe it's something in the air.

I'll take a picture next time I'm out that way.

Of course it's nothing to do with MSA being full up or drivers too tight to pay for an overnight stay. No sir.

Are you hard of reading?

"There is NO HGV drivers using motorway emergency lay-bys for rest periods on motorways. "

Truck drivers get paid expences for services.That gives them a free meal including parking.There is often not enough room.

Does anyone know when the 50 mile limit leading to the A38(heading South) will ever be finished? I have heard and read conflicting times but they just seem to go on and on and on and.........

Does anyone know when the 50 mile limit leading to the A38(heading South) will ever be finished? I have heard and read conflicting times but they just seem to go on and on and on and.........

The signs just say Spring this year but I will be belive it when I see that they are done .the company doing the works have already missed 4dead lines that I know off .wonder if they are getting late penalty charges against them

I failed to see the point for the so-called smart motorway, and the roadwork on M1 seems to be endless.

You can't see the point of an extra lane and a variable speed limit?

I think the service areas provided at the moment are appalling for lorry drivers. There should be more lorry patrks up and down the country for these drivers. They are doing a very important job, one that really keeps us all going. They deliver our milk and bread, clothes, medicines, beer, bikes, cars, furniture, shoes, tyres, roof slates, false teeth adhesive, petrol, in fact just about everything the country needs to function. I've read that they have restricted hours to which they can drive, and must take stops by the law.

Seeing as these drivers are the backbone of everybody's everyday lives, why are they so heavily slated by the general public?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending bad driving by these huge machines, but we should be giving them some slack, not flack. The queues on the motorways where it seems they are poarkjed up is the operation stack system, where there are delays at the docks. That's not drivers doing what they want, its all part of our export system, again keeping the country going.

Not to pussy foot about but if anyone chooses to bad mouth our lorry drivers, then in personally think the bad mouthers are twonks who don't understand how a countries infrastructure works. They are doing a job that is essentiial to all of us

---------- Post added 17-02-2016 at 09:15 ----------

You can't see the point of an extra lane and a variable speed limit?

Maybe a lot of folk are just conditioned to the old system, and are incapable of accepting change?

I think the new system is great, and only dangerous if some clown decides to not read the road ahead.

Are you hard of reading?

"There is NO HGV drivers using motorway emergency lay-bys for rest periods on motorways. "

Truck drivers get paid expences for services.That gives them a free meal including parking.There is often not enough room.

It seems a lack of space to park is the problem:

Lorry drivers urged to stop parking on M20 hard shoulders and slip roads

http://www.kent.police.uk/news/latest_news/151016_hard_shoulder.html

Heavy Goods Vehicle drivers and freight operators are being reminded about road safety following an increase in reports of lorries parking on hard shoulders and slip roads of the M20 for rest breaks.

Kent Police and our partners have noticed an increase in the number of incidents where both British and foreign-registered lorries have been found using illegal, inappropriate and unsafe parking locations.

Lorry driver hits back after HGVs fined for parking illegally on slip roads and hard shoulders

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/lorry-drivers-are-no-angels-48502/

It seems a lack of space to park is the problem:

Lorry drivers urged to stop parking on M20 hard shoulders and slip roads

http://www.kent.police.uk/news/latest_news/151016_hard_shoulder.html

Lorry driver hits back after HGVs fined for parking illegally on slip roads and hard shoulders

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/lorry-drivers-are-no-angels-48502/

It does explain it when there's only three service areas on the m20. If they are full, the drivers need to stop somewhere.

It does explain it when there's only three service areas on the m20. If they are full, the drivers need to stop somewhere.

You will also find a lot of industrial estates now either are gated and manned or have patrols coming round moving us on as I used to park on a lot of industrial areas when staying out for nights

It does seem to be abit of a disconnect in thinking for the local councils/highways authority really.

That stretch of road has gotta be one of the busiest in the country for HGVs, they obviously need someone to stop and rest along that route.

It's not even that built up along there either, there should be plenty of places to put another rest area.

Aren't rest areas privately owned and built?

Aren't rest areas privately owned and built?

Nothing to stop the highways agency asking the government for money and then building one, could then just rent the land/facilities out to a private company.

The current situation is abit of a traffic safety issue so they have an interest in actually doing something to sort the problem out.