'Smart' Motorways.

Out of interest, the new section of 4 lane, managed motorway close to Leeds still has a hard shoulder doesn't it?

No they've built odd little lay-bys for people to pull into if they can.

I've driven up it a few times now, I'll have to look more closely.

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 13:53 ----------

No. And it's not actively monitored either. It's ludicrous and I've had more near misses there since it opened from lanes vanishing off into slip roads than I ever had in the ten years before.

Where do the lanes turn into slip roads without warning?

Yet more proof that ditching the hard shoulder is a bad idea :

A report in The Times (15 Feb 16) reporting that the Central Emergency Police Group say :

All lane running should be scrapped in its current form because it was unsafe for drivers who break down. A broken down vehicle is far more likely to result in a serious injury or fatality.

Absence of the hard shoulder also makes routine stopping of vehicles too dangerous in all but the most extreme circumstances.

The emergency refuge areas are increasingly being misused by drivers of foreign trucks who mistake them for rest lay-bys

As an aside, on this and other forums, I have noticed that generally it`s the same people who :

Have no problem with getting rid of the hard shoulder.

Dislike middle laners with a passion (even if they`re driving the speed limit).

Dislike speed cameras.

Think drivers should be able to break the speed limit if they want.

The theme here is they`re more bothered about getting to their destination a bit quicker and/or enjoying themselves doing it, than they are about safety. The problem being that it isn`t just their own safety is it ? That`s what the Motoring Mafia will never comprehend........

Could the new smart motorways be quite safe, and the problem being bad driving?

And who are the motoring Mafia? Is it a secret organisation?

As an aside, on this and other forums, I have noticed that generally it`s the same people who :

Have no problem with getting rid of the hard shoulder.

I don't "not have a problem with getting rid of the hard shoulder", but until you come up with a better alternative, I can't see how else to accommodate the ever-increasing levels of motorway congestion on the relevant segments. Over to you.

Let it go. Seriously :|

Dislike speed cameras.
Personally, I love British speed cameras. Day-glo and never-moving, the epitome of predictability.

What a refreshing change, after the French system where cops set up their mobile shop wherever and whenever, frequently as not hiding in bushes and the like.

Think drivers should be able to break the speed limit if they want.
That'd be anarchy, so it's a fairly moronic suggestion for anyone who's made it/making it.

When the HC says to drive in the left lane unless overtaking how is a middle lane "hogger" any better than a speeder?

When the HC says to drive in the left lane unless overtaking how is a middle lane "hogger" any better than a speeder?

Don't confuse the unaware with facts. If he says its OK to drive in the middle, it must be.:suspect::suspect:

I've driven up it a few times now, I'll have to look more closely.

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 13:53 ----------

Where do the lanes turn into slip roads without warning?

J39 going south is the usual candidate. People get to the exit realise they are exiting and swerve off to the right into Lane 2.

Also please note I never said "without warning"

I don't think so because apparently many police forces are lobbying the government to get rid of them due to the increased fatalities and serious injuries being caused on roads with no hard shoulder. Apparently part of the cause is that without a hard shoulder the emergency services cannot access accident scenes easily anymore. Also a lot of injuries and deaths are being caused when a stopped car is smashed into by another vehicle. The latter may be bad driving of course, but given bad drivers are out there I'd rather my risk is not increased by making it more likely they will smash into my car if it breaks down!

Apparently yet another issue is that the emergency lay-bys cannot always be used because HGV drivers are using them as rest areas to park up and have a snooze. Furthermore the police have said they are too few and too far apart.

I also recall reading a government quote stating they expected smart motorways to result in more deaths, but they felt this was "acceptable" due to the increase in economic activity the smart motorways would cause with reduced travel times.

Edited by nightrider

To be honest Ob I drive on the M62/M1 almost every day and haven't had an issue...apart from when they drop the limit on a clear road...

The M62 is a lot better than the top end of the M1. When they mooted the M1 everyone thought they were going for the active running - that's not happened and I'd like to know why it took years for them to repaint a bit of road as thats' all that seemed to have happened...

And who are the motoring Mafia? Is it a secret organisation?

Given that driving can be good or bad anywhere, but some roads have more casualties and accidents than others, it's useful to compare whether a road has a higher or lower rate of accident than the norm.

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 14:43 ----------

J39 going south is the usual candidate. People get to the exit realise they are exiting and swerve off to the right into Lane 2.

Also please note I never said "without warning"

I shall have a look for it on my next trip to Leeds.

Given that driving can be good or bad anywhere, but some roads have more casualties and accidents than others, it's useful to compare whether a road has a higher or lower rate of accident than the norm.

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 14:43 ----------

I shall have a look for it on my next trip to Leeds.

Just remember - while you've seen the overhead signs, not everyone else has :)

I don't think so because apparently many police forces are lobbying the government to get rid of them due to the increased fatalities and serious injuries being caused on roads with no hard shoulder. Apparently part of the cause is that without a hard shoulder the emergency services cannot access accident scenes easily anymore. Also a lot of injuries and deaths are being caused when a stopped car is smashed into by another vehicle. The latter may be bad driving of course, but given bad drivers are out there I'd rather my risk is not increased by making it more likely they will smash into my car if it breaks down!

Apparently yet another issue is that the emergency lay-bys cannot always be used because HGV drivers are using them as rest areas to park up and have a snooze. Furthermore the police have said they are too few and too far apart.

I also recall reading a government quote stating they expected smart motorways to result in more deaths, but they felt this was "acceptable" due to the increase in economic activity the smart motorways would cause with reduced travel times.

There is NO HGV drivers using motorway emergency lay-bys for rest periods on motorways.