'Smart' Motorways.

Gibbers....

Instead of guessing how bout you all read this...

http://assets.highways.gov.uk/our-road-network/safety/national-vehicle-recovery/Vehicle%20Recovery%20leaflet.pdf

If the AA get to you quickly or are ready when Highways shut the lane off it's free.

Otherwise you pay. Potentially a lot.

---------- Post added 05-04-2017 at 17:45 ----------

Another nice little racket is the way that they charge you for cleaning stuff up. Say you have a crash on the motorway and dump oil on it.

That's going to cost you about £3000. Seriously. Mostly from the cast of closing a lane. Not that they actually do the work as there is certainly a good deal of fiddling going on in this.

It would only cost you £3000 if you had an excess of £3000 on your premium.

Doesn't Justin have any numbers for the fatalities? He made a prediction a while back that they would increase, it must have happened by now right?

Gibbers....

Instead of guessing how bout you all read this...

http://assets.highways.gov.uk/our-road-network/safety/national-vehicle-recovery/Vehicle%20Recovery%20leaflet.pdf

If the AA get to you quickly or are ready when Highways shut the lane off it's free.

Otherwise you pay. Potentially a lot.

---------- Post added 05-04-2017 at 17:45 ----------

Another nice little racket is the way that they charge you for cleaning stuff up. Say you have a crash on the motorway and dump oil on it.

That's going to cost you about £3000. Seriously. Mostly from the cast of closing a lane. Not that they actually do the work as there is certainly a good deal of fiddling going on in this.

But the insurance company will pay that so it's ok! It is awful how places charge insurers more than they would the public. I have some surgery done privately a while back and for whatever reason didn't mention it was going to be covered by insurance. They gave me the bill and I asked if I just forward this to my insurer as they seemed to want me to pay for the treatment then and there...they then said 'oh, it's insurance covered, hang on.' and produced a new bill which was at least 10% higher than the one they'd just given me. I'm not even sure this is legal? Anyway, an O/T aside there...if it's insurance you'll get done over and I'm pretty sure it's stuff like that that makes our insurance high rather than compo claims.

---------- Post added 10-04-2017 at 09:46 ----------

As I say, someone pays. An insurer will pass on the cost of that lane closure to us through our premiums.

But the insurance company will pay that so it's ok! It is awful how places charge insurers more than they would the public. I have some surgery done privately a while back and for whatever reason didn't mention it was going to be covered by insurance. They gave me the bill and I asked if I just forward this to my insurer as they seemed to want me to pay for the treatment then and there...they then said 'oh, it's insurance covered, hang on.' and produced a new bill which was at least 10% higher than the one they'd just given me. I'm not even sure this is legal? Anyway, an O/T aside there...if it's insurance you'll get done over and I'm pretty sure it's stuff like that that makes our insurance high rather than compo claims.

---------- Post added 10-04-2017 at 09:46 ----------

As I say, someone pays. An insurer will pass on the cost of that lane closure to us through our premiums.

I agree, it`s very wrong that more and more companies try to get out of paying for stuff they should by saying "claim it on your insurance". Some one was telling me the other month that an airline (was it BA ? ) were trying to do that in the case of a lost item of luggage, even though the airline were obviously liable. Even if it doesn`t out up the customers future insurance premiums (which it may well do), as you say, it`s the insurance industry`s customers who are paying these bills.

So that makes it OK because the insurers pick up the tab?

Hang on I'll just increase my injuries claim and feign whiplash...

Or of course you still have to pay your excess which can be a few hundred quid, and I've seen people get a bill for oil cleanup when there was non lost from their car.... so should they put up with the excess loss and increase in premiums and NCD loss?

Still no fatality numbers available from Justin...

Sadly, this probably wont be the last time this happens.

People died on hard shoulders and I've still got dash cam footage showing how a lorry missed my broke down van on a hard shoulder by a coat of paint. The poor lady in question was out of the car, just not out of the way enough.

It's a cheap way of getting an extra lane but what concerns me most is how they have cheapened out on the signs. Round Luton on the M1 (and the M42 I think - I don't drive it that often.) the signs are really close together. Round our way they really aren't. When you head south on jct 30 it's a reasonable distance before you see a sign. Dark night, bad weather, I'd be worried if I broke down.

People died on hard shoulders and I've still got dash cam footage showing how a lorry missed my broke down van on a hard shoulder by a coat of paint. The poor lady in question was out of the car, just not out of the way enough.

It's a cheap way of getting an extra lane but what concerns me most is how they have cheapened out on the signs. Round Luton on the M1 (and the M42 I think - I don't drive it that often.) the signs are really close together. Round our way they really aren't. When you head south on jct 30 it's a reasonable distance before you see a sign. Dark night, bad weather, I'd be worried if I broke down.

To be honest , every time i drive on the M1 its always in my mind what will happen if i have a breakdown if im not lucky enough to break down next to one of the refuge areas. You are a sitting duck.

To be honest , every time i drive on the M1 its always in my mind what will happen if i have a breakdown if im not lucky enough to break down next to one of the refuge areas. You are a sitting duck.

I was thinking that myself today to be honest, and it's not normally something that I give much thought to. Last year I lost all power but I just coasted onto the hard shoulder and was (despite the best efforts of a sleepy hgv driver) safe. But it works - I've seen it work a few times, but I really don't want to test it out - certainly not round our bit.

Someone predicted (maybe on this thread) that this would happen.

Hard shoulders weren't entirely safe, but they were arguably safer than just stopping in lane 1 with nowhere else to go...

---------- Post added 11-09-2018 at 07:40 ----------

Doesn't Justin have any numbers for the fatalities? He made a prediction a while back that they would increase, it must have happened by now right?

Justin in fact by the look of it.

Hopefully they won't increase any higher than 1 though.