'Smart' Motorways.

What is the problem with the M1? Used it for the first time in ages last Friday, and it was great. I've always believed all the accidents happen in the outside lanes, because that's where I've usually seen them. The problem is not with the Motorway, its the incapable idiots that use them. 1 in 5 drivers admits to using social media whilst driving. That's 20% of everyone on the road. And you're worried about an extra lane????

It`s not the just the accidents (though I`ve seen plenty on the inside lane myself) it`s the broken down cars. I want somewhere to go where I`m not having cars swerving out of the way to miss me at 60 to 80mph.

---------- Post added 04-01-2016 at 21:37 ----------

There are plenty of busy dual carriageway A roads with 2/3 lanes that don't have a hard shoulder and I can't ever remember there being a problem with broken down cars causing accidents.

Are you saying non hard shoulder dual carriageways are as safe as motorways with hard shoulders ? That sounds unlikely to me. But, one has to ask, if you`re implying that hard shoulders have no use, why have all motorways (until very recently) had them ?

---------- Post added 04-01-2016 at 21:46 ----------

What is the problem with the M1? Used it for the first time in ages last Friday, and it was great. I've always believed all the accidents happen in the outside lanes, because that's where I've usually seen them. The problem is not with the Motorway, its the incapable idiots that use them. 1 in 5 drivers admits to using social media whilst driving. That's 20% of everyone on the road. And you're worried about an extra lane????

That`s not really saying anything though is it ! In fact that`s exactly what the American gun lobby say about guns : "guns don`t kill anyone" ! ! Technically they`re correct, but it`s b******s isn`t it.

Having said the above, if a car breaks down, it`s not usually the drivers fault is it ? What is he supposed to do ? He (or she) has no where to go. The point could be made that if people kept adequate distance from the vehicle in front *, kept up their concentration and didn`t speed, then accidents would be less likely with vehicles stopped on the inside lane. But still more likely than if there was a hard shoulder in place.

* The facts : required 2 second gap at 70mph = 63 m. But this is front and rear, i.e. the gap between two vehicles must be at least 126m plus the length of your own vehicle (say + 5m = 131m) before you move into it (if changing lanes) even if all three vehicles are doing exactly the same speed. But when these facts were stated, on a different thread, more than one poster said they thought the gaps "excessive".

Edited by Justin Smith

It`s not the just the accidents (though I`ve seen plenty on the inside lane myself) it`s the broken down cars. I want somewhere to go where I`m not having cars swerving out of the way to miss me at 60 to 80mph.

---------- Post added 04-01-2016 at 21:37 ----------

Are you saying non hard shoulder dual carriageways are as safe as motorways with hard shoulders ? That sounds unlikely to me. But, one has to ask, if you`re implying that hard shoulders have no use, why have all motorways (until very recently) had them ?

---------- Post added 04-01-2016 at 21:46 ----------

That`s not really saying anything though is it ! In fact that`s exactly what the American gun lobby say about guns : "guns don`t kill anyone" ! ! Technically they`re correct, but it`s b******s isn`t it.

Having said the above, if a car breaks down, it`s not usually the drivers fault is it ? What is he supposed to do ? He (or she) has no where to go.

What about GERMAN guns? Are they much more dangerous than non-german guns? :hihi::loopy:

So have you ever had any issues with driving on dual-carriageway A roads?

What about GERMAN guns? Are they much more dangerous than non-german guns? :hihi::loopy:

Are we talking WWII ? ! ?

On water : The Royal Navy`s guns were far more dangerous than those of the German`s rather small navy.

On land : For most of the war German tank guns were more dangerous than British (or American tank) guns. Things changed with the 17 pounder, as fitted in the Sherman Firefly.

In the air : During the Battle of Britain German guns (in their fighters) were rather more dangerous than the small calibre weapons fitted in the RAF Hurricanes and Spitfires. Things changed later, parity was achieved.

Are we talking WWII ? ! ?

On water : The Royal Navy`s guns were far more dangerous than those of the German`s rather small navy.

On land : For most of the war German tank guns were more dangerous than British (or American tank) guns. Things changed with the 17 pounder, as fitted in the Sherman Firefly.

In the air : During the Battle of Britain German guns (in their fighters) were rather more dangerous than the small calibre weapons fitted in the RAF Hurricanes and Spitfires. Things changed later, parity was achieved.

What car do you drive by the way?

So have you ever had any issues with driving on dual-carriageway A roads?

Is that answering my question ? That said, I have broken down on the A1(M) in a VW LT35 van/truck (it was half way between the two), the cam belt went. If we hadn`t had a hard shoulder to stop on it would have been rather more exciting, and not in a good way......

I have to say I feel safer on the M1 than on the A1

---------- Post added 04-01-2016 at 22:13 ----------

What car do you drive by the way?

You`ve already asked me this question on this thread.

Is that answering my question ? That said, I have broken down on the A1(M) in a VW LT35 van/truck (it was half way between the two), the cam belt went. If we hadn`t had a hard shoulder to stop on it would have been rather more exciting, and not in a good way......

I have to say I feel safer on the M1 than on the A1

---------- Post added 04-01-2016 at 22:13 ----------

You`ve already asked me this question on this thread.

I'm sorry - I hadnt seen the reply. It took you 3 days to answer the question.

I guess you drive an old, unsafe Ford Focus then. I'd have thought that someone who is so interested in other people's safety when driving, would have purchased a much newer safer car. In the interests of everyone else's safety.

Thanks for answering my question eventually.

I'm sorry - I hadnt seen the reply. It took you 3 days to answer the question.

I guess you drive an old, unsafe Ford Focus then. I'd have thought that someone who is so interested in other people's safety when driving, would have purchased a much newer safer car. In the interests of everyone else's safety.

Thanks for answering my question eventually.

Sorry, you`re saying a Ford Focus is unsafe ? And for whom ? Where do you get that from ?

There`s a slight breakdown on communication here anyway. I am concerned for other road users safety, but I`m actually more concerned for my own safety, and most concerned of all for my families safety, specifically my wife and child. I`d have thought most people would empathise with that.

Sorry, you`re saying a Ford Focus is unsafe ? And for whom ? Where do you get that from ?

There`s a slight breakdown on communication here anyway. I am concerned for other road users safety, but I`m actually more concerned for my own safety, and most concerned of all for my families safety, specifically my wife and child. I`d have thought most people would empathise with that.

It is not i itself unsafe, but a new car, with more stringent safety requirements is safer.

You preach to everyone else regularly about driving safer and how dangerous cars and other drivers are, and this is why I pick you up on it.

Does the Focus have:

Xenon headlights which light up the road brightly, making it easier for you to see others in the dark?

Adaptive headlights - likewise?

Brand new brakes, which allow you to stop more quickly?

Adaptive cruise control?

Collision prevention sensors?

Heads -up display allowing you to keep your eyes on the road without looking down at your speedo to see if you're travelling at 59.9mph or 60.1 mph?

Speed limit setting?

Speed warning notification?

Plenty of airbags around the passengers?

I suspect it doesnt have all of these, and yet you claim to want others to do the utmost to stop accidents happening. Yet you seem to not practise what you preach. Surely you should be saving every penny to make sure that the GERMAN car you buy has these lifesaving gadgets?

It is not i itself unsafe, but a new car, with more stringent safety requirements is safer.

You preach to everyone else regularly about driving safer and how dangerous cars and other drivers are, and this is why I pick you up on it.

Does the Focus have:

Xenon headlights which light up the road brightly, making it easier for you to see others in the dark?

Adaptive cruise control?

Heads -up display allowing you to keep your eyes on the road without looking down at your speedo to see if you're travelling at 59.9mph or 60.1 mph?

Speed limit setting?

I suspect it doesnt have all of these, and yet you claim to want others to do the utmost to stop accidents happening. Yet you seem to not practise what you preach. Surely you should be saving every penny to make sure that the GERMAN car you buy has these lifesaving gadgets?

Oh Ron, there are times that I do indeed love you, you right-wing, capitalistic, car loving scoundrel that you are :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Oh Ron, there are times that I do indeed love you, you right-wing, capitalistic, car loving scoundrel that you are :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Gi oer ya big leftie :)

Does the Focus have:

Adaptive cruise control?

Speed limit setting?

Are you taking the *** ? It`s hard to tell on a forum, thus, personally, I try to avoid doing so.......

With the exception of the brakes (which surely goes without saying) and the air bags, I don`t see any of those making a huge difference safety, certainly relative to drivers driving with less aggression, more patience, and more concentration.

"Collision prevention sensors", now there`s a thing, aren`t they called eyes in everyday speak ? Or are we talking about glorified distance sensors ? If so I`d love to know what settings have been inputted, would it be based on the 2 second rule ? If so would they sound (as they should do) every time a driver pulled into a gap (at 7mph) which was less than 131m wide ?

Edited by Justin Smith