'Smart' Motorways.

I would not be too sure about the 2 lane situation as I've noticed on the north bound side it's now been marked out in to 3 lanes over the viaduct

There's been no more structural work to the viaduct so how are they justifying the change?

There's been no more structural work to the viaduct so how are they justifying the change?

If they can reduce the risk sufficiently in other areas then they should be able to absorb the deaths caused by a catastrophic collapse with no overall increase in risk...

If they can reduce the risk sufficiently in other areas then they should be able to absorb the deaths caused by a catastrophic collapse with no overall increase in risk...

How theoretically pragmatic. ?

Just wondered when the M1 road works are complete

They might never be, at the current rate of progress!

They might never be, at the current rate of progress!

But its going to be really smart

I had to drive up to the M62 again yesterday where 4 lanes are in operation and have to say that there is no way I am driving in lane 1 at night. I will accept a ticket for not keeping left over hitting the back of a stranded vehicle.

Just reading that they are fining over 1000 people a week on the new smart motorways for breaking the speed limit. Last year 52,516 people were fined compared to 2,023 on the same stretches in 2010-11, a nice little earner for the Government. I wonder what percentage over the speed limit the cameras are set to before they snap you for speeding.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37888207

I've lost count how many times I've driven through a smart motorway and the limit displayed have been completely un-necessary.

A suspicious person might start to make a link there :suspect::suspect::suspect::suspect::suspect:

I've lost count how many times I've driven through a smart motorway and the limit displayed have been completely un-necessary.

A suspicious person might start to make a link there :suspect::suspect::suspect::suspect::suspect:

And if you ring highways about speed limits they say things like there was workers in road ,there was congestion etc etc

I had to drive up to the M62 again yesterday where 4 lanes are in operation and have to say that there is no way I am driving in lane 1 at night. I will accept a ticket for not keeping left over hitting the back of a stranded vehicle.

Believe me you will not get a ticket for driving in the second lane on a (not so) Smart Motorway, particularly at night. And if you did you`ve got the perfect defence, the police themselves consider then unsafe !

Just reading that they are fining over 1000 people a week on the new smart motorways for breaking the speed limit. Last year 52,516 people were fined compared to 2,023 on the same stretches in 2010-11, a nice little earner for the Government. I wonder what percentage over the speed limit the cameras are set to before they snap you for speeding.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37888207

I'd be interested to know how many of these people were caught when there aren't any restrictions in operation. I've come home from Sheff on the M62 late Saturday evenings and the cameras have caught people belting along at (I assume) 85+

And if you ring highways about speed limits they say things like there was workers in road ,there was congestion etc etc

I know it's comical.

Like I've not just flown through that exact section and seen the conditions first hand???