Canon EF-S 55-250 IS Telephoto lens.

I have been told that the Canon 55-250 IS is better than my Tamron 70-300 LD I Macro (no image stabilization). I have seen them advertised on the CEX website for £75 and £92 for the updated model. I can trade my Tamron lens in as well. Has anyone used the Canon 55-250 IS ?? Is it better than the Tamron ?? I really could do with image stabilization due to shake. Any advice would be welcome.

---------- Post added 05-01-2016 at 14:17 ----------

Does nobody use the Canon EF-S 55-250 IS lens at all then ?? Has nobody had one in the past ??

Hello, not been on the photography group for a while. In answer to your question, I have used the Canon 55-250IS on my Canon 1200D body and have to say I am impressed. The image stabilization is a great tool and since I changed from my Sigma lens, this has been one of my favourites in my kit bag. There is nothing wrong with the Tamron 70-300LD Macro, and that would be useful for the close up images.

I would suggest that you try a local dealer to see if they have the Canon lens and try it out for yourself, what suits one person, may not necessarily suit someone else, each individual taste is not right or wrong. Try Harrisons on London Road, and compare the two friend.

Thanks Pip. I have found some used lenses on the CEX site. I have some unwanted stuff to trade in so I reckon I will do just that. I can keep my Tamron AND have the Canon as well.