Worst Christmas TV programmes ever !!

The Sound of Music and White Christmas are classic films but do we have to watch them EVERY year ?...

No, watching them is entirely optional ;) . But for some, it's as traditional as mince pies and Christmas pudding to watch certain films - like those two, It's a Wonderful Life and The Wizard of Oz - over Christmas. I think there's actually a law to say that some channel or other must show them at some point over Christmas.

No, watching them is entirely optional ;) . But for some, it's as traditional as mince pies and Christmas pudding to watch certain films - like those two, It's a Wonderful Life and The Wizard of Oz - over Christmas. I think there's actually a law to say that some channel or other must show them at some point over Christmas.

There's a law to say they must be shown ? Are you joking ?:suspect:

There's a law to say they must be shown ? Are you joking ?:suspect:

Possibly :suspect: .

---------- Post added 03-01-2016 at 10:34 ----------

Me too re all of those bar Sherlock which I just can't get into. ...

The self-referential stuff is getting rather trying, but there's a decent show in there too. I thought I'd hate it - took me ages to get around to watching it - but there's some quality acting and story-telling in there, and spotting the references to the original tales, and seeing how the writers twist and turn them for their own ends, is rather fun.

The 2013 outing saw a significant decline in quality. The Charles Augustus Milverton episodes promised so much and delivered so little; the writers were too busy turning Mary into a spy/secret agent/super hero, or whatever the hell she's meant to be, to focus on the villain. Let's hope they look to Conan Doyle for the conclusion of Mary's story.

Get yourselves a Android Digital Box where you can watch films, sports all for free through the Internet/WiFi connection.

Once you have bought the box everything is for free apart from the subscription ones

such as Netflix, but you have more films to choose from than there and Sky Movies.

All legal and sold on Amazon/Ebay. Need someone who knows how to set it up.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fully-Loaded-KODI-SPMC-MXQ-PRO-4K-Android-5-1-TV-Box-Quad-Core-Free-Movie-UK/391353083343?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3Dbf1564f6c6e94e73a37cae70b8d02382%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D172021541789

Did my earlier post get deleted for some reason. If so can you message me.

Get yourselves a Android Digital Box where you can watch films, sports all for free through the Internet/WiFi connection.

Once you have bought the box everything is for free apart from the subscription ones

such as Netflix, but you have more films to choose from than there and Sky Movies.

All legal and sold on Amazon/Ebay. Need someone who knows how to set it up.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fully-Loaded-KODI-SPMC-MXQ-PRO-4K-Android-5-1-TV-Box-Quad-Core-Free-Movie-UK/391353083343?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3Dbf1564f6c6e94e73a37cae70b8d02382%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D172021541789

Did my earlier post get deleted for some reason. If so can you message me.

This site frowns upon pirating.

The box itself is legal, the ones which advertise with fully loaded software where you could

watch SKY & BT are illegal and have been taken off some sites. Some other sites do not

mention the addons but state that the buyer could download extra addons.

Certainly a grey area and one which will attract the big boys such as Sky to further look into it. They will not like people watching for free and will want more billions in their account.

What do people want to see on Christmas TV?

People moan about repeats and the same films year after year but from what I see its us viewers that expect to see such films on. People all over facebook and twitter hark on about good old Home Alone, The Snowman, Mary Poppins, The Muppets, Sound of Music, Bond Films and Die Hard which are almost the expected staples to be on during Christmas time. In the age of faux facebook campaigns and the twitterari. Christmas tv without, for example, home alone would no doubt lead to some kind of online outrage.

Lets also add on that people now are watching tv in more different ways than ever before. We have Freeview, Sky +, Tivo, Amazon, Netflix and dozens of less legal ways of watching content.

Personally, I have sky plus and I don't think I have watched even one thing live broadcast during this holiday period. I have gone through the tv guide every couple of days, set the things I wanted to record and sat when I like watching what I like.

When you have 999 channels to watch, plus the internet I don't know how the main broadcasters begin to try and think up new content to keep us tuning in.

Further, I have noted more this year, that Sky is becoming much more active in producing its OWN original dramas, comedy and entertainment which must be putting further pressure on ITV / BBC to produce.

There is still lots of good stuff on during the season but now its just spread out over much wider formats and far away from the traditional three main channels.

Edited by ECCOnoob

I have had similar comments from my Dad and Uncle regarding the ''Naff telly o'er Christmas'' for me it seems to have been the same as it always has, unfortunately in their old age they refuse to alter their ways.

I feel with the addition of online streaming services you can now make your Christmas exactly what you want it to be - viewing wise of course.

I have had similar comments from my Dad and Uncle regarding the ''Naff telly o'er Christmas'' for me it seems to have been the same as it always has, unfortunately in their old age they refuse to alter their ways.

I feel with the addition of online streaming services you can now make your Christmas exactly what you want it to be - viewing wise of course.

This is true. But for those who don't want to - or can't - stump up extra cash for Netflix and Amazon, those who aren't tech savvy, those in areas limited to slow and/or throttled internet speeds and/or small download limits, and those who don't want to dip their toes into the murkier areas of internet streaming, the traditional channels are still the major source of festive TV.

Possibly :suspect: .

---------- Post added 03-01-2016 at 10:34 ----------

The self-referential stuff is getting rather trying, but there's a decent show in there too. I thought I'd hate it - took me ages to get around to watching it - but there's some quality acting and story-telling in there, and spotting the references to the original tales, and seeing how the writers twist and turn them for their own ends, is rather fun.

The 2013 outing saw a significant decline in quality. The Charles Augustus Milverton episodes promised so much and delivered so little; the writers were too busy turning Mary into a spy/secret agent/super hero, or whatever the hell she's meant to be, to focus on the villain. Let's hope they look to Conan Doyle for the conclusion of Mary's story.

I re-watched all of Sherlock prior to Christmas, and the quality in the first series really shines through. The second series was good and I enjoyed it more than I remembered. The third series seemed to be too much about the personalities of the main characters and the mystery solving seemed to incidental to the episodes.

I'd always thought that the whole point of Sherlock Holmes having a personalty which was obsessed with solving crimes was that that was meant to be the focus of the stories, without personalities sidetracking them.

I did enjoy the special as I felt that it did move the show away from being a soap opera.

I re-watched all of Sherlock prior to Christmas, and the quality in the first series really shines through. The second series was good and I enjoyed it more than I remembered. The third series seemed to be too much about the personalities of the main characters and the mystery solving seemed to incidental to the episodes.

The second series was superb, particularly the first and third episodes. It was certainly worthy of the massive buzz it created.

But of course after that buzz, and the extra-long gap between The Reichenbach Fall and its resolution, the third series had a long way to fall too. And it did. Not helped by the writing, which, with the introduction of the preposterous 'Mary' storyline, strained credulity and patience. Milverton is a deeply unpleasant villain; I don't think the Sherlock writers did him justice at all.

I'd always thought that the whole point of Sherlock Holmes having a personalty which was obsessed with solving crimes was that that was meant to be the focus of the stories, without personalities sidetracking them.

But Holmes has always been such an intriguing character and Conan Doyle dangled such juicy potential in the tales, just ripe for future writers to run away with: the drug abuse; the physicality in addition to the huge intellect; the misogynistic clinical reasoning machine with a potential for obsession with 'the woman'; the intriguing family; the arch-enemy in waiting. There's so much more there than just the stories. The problem with the last series is that it all got rather bitty and soapy.

I did enjoy the special as I felt that it did move the show away from being a soap opera.

Exactly so. Definitely need to watch it again to see just how the story seeds were planted.