Tree campaign in Sheffield in 2016 (continuation thread)

As for "permanent" - so a tree never ever grows - all trees have been the same size since day one? Not the ones in the urban forest where I live - sycamore just behind my back garden has grown from a sapling to over 25 feet in 20 years

The impoverished substitutes that we are losing out on, at a factor of 60:1, are not the same as the trees in your garden Longcol. They have a max lifespan of 40-80 years. Their canopy cover will NEVER achieve the level of benefits that we have currently been enjoying from our high value street trees. So yes, Sheffield is suffering a permanent and irreversible loss in ecosystem benefits, that will NEVER be replaced.

Whilst season does affect the level of some benefits, health and well being, flood prevention, biodiversity, habitat, carbon sequestration, property value are year round benefits.

So how do deciduous trees sequester carbon without leaves?

The floods in Sheffield in 2007 happened in June when tree growth and therefore water intake is high - and yet Oughtibridge - which has several miles of riverside woodland upstream suffered some of the worst. Dormant deciduous trees in winter hardly take on any water.

How do deciduous trees without leaves to give off oxygen and capture some air pollution contribute to health and well being.

Glad to see you've brought back property prices again :cool:

If the Council loses, we (Council Tax payers) all pay.

If the Council wins in overturning the injunction, they can ask for an order for their costs to be awarded against Mr Dillner.

Then we'll need to ask how the hell the council got themselves into that position in the first place and hold them to account.

Mr Dillner can stand up for himself.

So how do deciduous trees sequester carbon without leaves?

In their stems

The floods in Sheffield in 2007 happened in June when tree growth and therefore water intake is high - and yet Oughtibridge - which has several miles of riverside woodland upstream suffered some of the worst. Dormant deciduous trees in winter hardly take on any water

Trees are part of a tool box of flood prevention. They disperse water at height and their root systems facilitate dispersal through soil. SUDS: http://www.bgs.ac.uk/suds/

How do deciduous trees without leaves to give off oxygen and capture some air pollution contribute to health and well being

The presence of trees and nature alone significantly affect health and well being. Read the links I posted on the previous page.

Glad to see you've brought back property prices again :cool:

High value street trees, increase the value of neighbourhoods. It is one of the raft of ecosystem benefits that large canopy street trees provide.

---------- Post added 19-03-2016 at 11:45 ----------

Then we'll need to ask how the hell the council got themselves into that position in the first place and hold them to account

And THIS is the million dollar question Eric and something we are all VERY interested in finding answers to.

Do some reading on particulate matter and how trees at the roadside, closest

to the pollution, have huge mitigatory benefits to offset said pollution.

You mean that some polluting particles chance to hit the trunks of trees in winter - then when it rains they get washed off. No capture by the leaves like we have in summer.

I walk to work - I get no benefit from roadside trees - winter or summer. Biggest benefit I'd get is if they'd stop making cars with exhaust pipes on the passenger side - the side nearest the footpath.

Getting back to the thread - where are all the articles about the benefits of deciduous trees in winter?

Anyhow - off for a week in France - big forests with nice big roads going through them :cool:

As for oxygen from deciduous trees in wintrer..................

Edited by Longcol

You mean that some polluting particles chance to hit the trunks of trees in winter - then when it rains they get washed off. No capture by the leaves like we have in summer.

I walk to work - I get no benefit from roadside trees - winter or summer. Biggest benefit I'd get is if they'd stop making cars with exhaust pipes on the passenger side - the side nearest the footpath.

Getting back to the thread - where are all the articles about the benefits of deciduous trees in winter?

Anyhow - off for a week in France - big forests with nice big roads going through them :cool:

As for oxygen from deciduous trees in wintrer..................

Re my bold above.

NO! That is absolutely not what I mean. That is your own misconception. As I advised you previously...do some reading on the subject.

The articles have been posted many times but people who have already made their minds up don't want to be confused by facts...or at least that's the way it appears to me.

During my time in the armed forces it was often the case that the officer was the only in step on the parade ground and expected everybody else to change step.

Enjoy your holiday in France Captain Longcol. ;):)

The bickering and sniping can once again cease. Posts have been removed. Anyone that continues are likely to find themselves suspended.

Answers can be found here:

https://www.stocksbridgecommunity.org/news/street-trees-3-month-ban-all-tree-felling-city

And the SORT Letter to the Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport:

http://www.savesheffieldtrees.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/SORT-LETTER-TO-THE-CABINET-MEMBER-FOR-ENVIRONMENT-AND-TRANSPORT_29th-January-2016_v1_v51_Corrected_a.pdf

In particular pages 107-113 and 117-120 of the above.

---------- Post added 20-03-2016 at 19:20 ----------

Carbon sequestration is only one of a range of ecosystem services. Even through the winter, trees continue to provide a range of valuable ecosystem service benefits. Sustainable management, which is what the Streets Ahead project & Councillors state as an aim of the project, requires at least the maintenance of the range, magnitude & value of these benefits. This is TOTALLY dependent on maintenance of the shape, size & distribution of canopy cover at multiple levels – street; neighbourhood; city-wide – throughout the city. So the NUMBERS game that the Council play is genuinely nothing more than a PR stunt to fool the ignorant and ill-informed. Trees are packed at greater densities in woodlands and have relatively small crowns. The figures the Council quote for city-wide tree population numbers are outdated estimates. There is no published research to support their assertions and, as detailed in the aforementioned documents, the number of trees is largely irrelevant, in terms of responsible, sustainable management. Remember, the Streets Ahead team and the Council claim to comply with current BEST practice. So asking them to ensure that they comply with GOOD practice should not cause any problem whatsoever.

Green Party campaigners doorstepping tonight. Said I'd been considering voting Labour for the first time in decades but the ineptitude, lies and downright scaremongering by the current Labour council means there is no chance.

Green Party campaigners doorstepping tonight. Said I'd been considering voting Labour for the first time in decades but the ineptitude, lies and downright scaremongering by the current Labour council means there is no chance.

So TOTALLY agree with you mate :thumbsup:

More evidence of NJUG and BS 5837 contraventions.

Major stem damage:

bit.ly/1RZ6jvu

Root damage:

bit.ly/1XG4PdP

These photos were taken last week and Amey cannot be allowed to continue wreaking this kind of havoc and damage. Sheffield City Council has a duty of care to monitor and fine for this level of breach of standards. Action not words, Councillor Fox.

Edited by Mindfulness

If I was faced with the choice of a tree and a bit of bulging path or no tree and uneven path/badly laid paving I would choose the tree etc. every time.