Anyone else noticed the 'Verify By Visa' goes straight through!

Oh!....Really?...I wasn't aware of that...(obviously)....It seems a bit odd really, as at any point someone could hack my details...(not impossible)....Then not have to enter any further details...as verification...How bizarre!

They don't really need to with Verified by Visa. If they've already got your credit card number the only other piece of information they need to change your password is your date of birth - and your credit card company won't let you know that it's been changed.

Verified by Visa isn't primarily about increasing your security, it's about transferring liability for fraud from the credit card company to you.

Just lately I've bought quite a few things on line, and usually when you put your details in, the last step is a Verify by Visa popup window which asks you to enter different characters of your password, to verify, you are who you say you are.

Just lately though, the window seems to open and then it automatically carries on, and boom you've paid, without entering the characters.

Is it because of the busy Christmas period?...Has something changed I don't know about?...Is it a glitch?...Is it happening to 'just me'...If so why?...So many questions!

No, it's a usual procedure akin to contactless debit card usage.

I recently saw a notification on the "Verified by Visa" page saying that changes to the process would mean that I would be asked for my password less often.

The message was similar to this one from FirstDirect:

Verified by Visa is changing

In the past we've asked you to enter Verified by Visa security information when shopping online but we know this can be inconvenient. So we're making some changes that should mean we ask for this less often although we may still have to in some circumstances.

It recongnises the device you are using to make the payments possibly. Try it on a different pc or mobile that you've not used before and it should verify by visa like it first did

They use an algorithm to monitor your purchasing habits and then only get you to enter your extra password if something flags up or is of high value. Ultimately the bank is responsible for any fraud on your account where you have taken reasonable precautions (enabling Verified by Visa would be a reasonable precaution!) therefore any online fraud would be covered by your bank in all but the most extreme of cases perhaps where you left your wallet with your passwords and Verified PIN all together in the pub.

JarvisS8 is likely right too that they might well use 'known' devices to monitor.

It recongnises the device you are using to make the payments possibly. Try it on a different pc or mobile that you've not used before and it should verify by visa like it first did

They use an algorithm to monitor your purchasing habits and then only get you to enter your extra password if something flags up or is of high value. Ultimately the bank is responsible for any fraud on your account where you have taken reasonable precautions (enabling Verified by Visa would be a reasonable precaution!) therefore any online fraud would be covered by your bank in all but the most extreme of cases perhaps where you left your wallet with your passwords and Verified PIN all together in the pub.

JarvisS8 is likely right too that they might well use 'known' devices to monitor.

I just thought it may have been a result of the run up to Christmas thing, where they 'relaxed' the criteria. As I said, it's only just started happening, but then again, I've bought more on line in recent times, so it may well be to do with the devices used and frequently visited sites.

Thanks for all your helpful posts and opinions regarding this...I just thought it was a bit odd....:)