Claiming a strip of land

If you do not own the land, I can take your fence down and put up my own.

Adverse possession only works if no one stops your use for 12 years.

Actually removing someones fence could constitute crimminal damage, but you could put up another fence around the first fence, or simply "wait for" some unknown person to kick down the first one.

What if you stake your claim and put up a fence then find out some actually owns the land.

Or if you have to move house in less than 12 years. I'd still advise seeking legal advice because it could be a minefield.

What if you stake your claim and put up a fence then find out some actually owns the land.

Or if you have to move house in less than 12 years. I'd still advise seeking legal advice because it could be a minefield.

The OP has found out the land is unregistered . I assume when the OP made his initial enquiries he would have thought about buying the land if an owner could be identified . If the OP wants to acquire the land he will have to take on a gamble . No one is going to hand the land over to him on a plate .

My advice to the OP is to keep quiet about his intentions and if he wants legal advice then seek it from a solicitor outside the area .

there is a strip of land at the side of my house which has been used for dog walkers getting to the wood behind. a couple of years ago I sent in a application for a extension to be built and enquired about this strip of land. the solictors letter came back saying the land was unregistered and I should put in a application to aquire this land so how do I go about doing this ?

See a solicitor would be the route to take, at least then your claim would be legal in the eyes of the law.

Angel1.

Why outside the area ?

Why outside the area ?

Common sense . It's in the OP's best interest to keep his intentions secret especially from people living in the area .

Of course - local solicitors will go telling all and sundry won't they :roll::roll:

Land does not need to be 'claimed', so maybe that website is unreliable.

All land is owned. Some is registered at HMLR; some is not.

AND we're here dealing only with England & Wales; the law differs in Scotland and in Northern Ireland.

See http://blog.landregistry.gov.uk/registered-unregistered-land-that-is-the-question/ .

The fact that the land is unregistered does not mean it does not belong to anyone. For example I know of a piece of land that the developers forgot to allocate to any of the houses they built, and they were happy to transfer it to the owner of one of the adjoining properties (for nothing).

See also http://www.right-of-way.co.uk/unregistered-land/claim-unregistered-land , for guidance.

Land does not need to be 'claimed', so maybe that website is unreliable.

All land is owned. Some is registered at HMLR; some is not.

AND we're here dealing only with England & Wales; the law differs in Scotland and in Northern Ireland.

For a supposedly bright and legally well informed bloke, you don't half talk some nonsense.

For a supposedly bright and legally well informed bloke, you don't half talk some nonsense.

Er, some twelve centuries of land law suggest that I'm correct.

'Res nullius' is a concept of only civilian (European-tendency) legal systems.

---------- Post added 03-01-2016 at 20:06 ----------

Land not registered at HMLR does have an estate owner. Ownership rests on the title deeds. Never heard of 'em?