Claiming a strip of land

I guess people may object if this path to the woods is the only path in the local area. How many use it?

If its not a public right of way , they have no grounds to object .

The fact people have used it for years isnt a valid reason to object,

If its not a public right of way , they have no grounds to object .

The fact people have used it for years isnt a valid reason to object,

Yes it is.

so if I fence it off and the dog walkers take it down where do I stand then

They would be committing criminal damage.

They might challenge your legal right to fence it off and apply to have it made a public right of way though.

---------- Post added 02-01-2016 at 13:49 ----------

Yes it is.

It's a valid reason to make a claim that it's now a public right of way, but it needs to have been open to access, without a break, for a very long time for that application to stick.

Yes it is.

They could object but it will not stop ric claiming it.The access to the woods will be elsewhere,making a shortcut doesn't make it a public right of way.

Edited by lottiecass

Fence it off using some steel palisade fencing instead of a wooden one that can be knocked down and have a cctv camera covering it.

Keep the receipt for the fencing which will have a date on it and then just wait it out.

Any dog walkers that complain tell them it's your land and that they have no right of way....:)

there is a strip of land at the side of my house which has been used for dog walkers getting to the wood behind. a couple of years ago I sent in a application for a extension to be built and enquired about this strip of land. the solictors letter came back saying the land was unregistered and I should put in a application to aquire this land so how do I go about doing this ?

Obviously, talk to the solicitor!

All this talk of illegally claiming the land is nonsense. It's like Third World standards.

All this talk of illegally claiming the land is nonsense. It's like Third World standards.

Or on the other hand, maybe people know something you don't.

http://www.propertylawuk.net/boundariesadversepossession.html

What is adverse possession?

In certain circumstances a person can acquire land belonging to someone else by "squatting" on it for a defined period. Dealing first with unregistered land, to acquire title by adverse possession the squatter must show he has had exclusive possession without the consent of the true owner for 12 years. The best evidence for this is that the land has been fenced off so that only the squatter has access to it. Hence it is very difficult to acquire title to paths and roadways, which many people could use. Similarly, it isn't grounds for a claim if someone parks their car occasionally on your land.

Its not illegal,I know of a few successful cases one was 35 acres,if no one is registered on the land register who owns it? no one.

Electronic registration is relatively new, so that's not entirely correct. But the person who owns it would need to assert and prove those rights within the 12 year time frame.

Electronic registration is relatively new, so that's not entirely correct. But the person who owns it would need to assert and prove those rights within the 12 year time frame.

Why is not true? The land register existed before computers,people used to write things down with pens on paper.You do need proof you have used the land for 12yrs though,not a problem if you have.

If you do not own the land, I can take your fence down and put up my own.

Adverse possession only works if no one stops your use for 12 years.