Claiming a strip of land

I know this is an old thread but... Seriously why would, you consider blocking your neighbours access to the local woods? I know a lot of selfish people but thankfully I don't know anyone who would stoop this low.
like all these selfish dog owners who let their dogs do their business at the bottom of this path without clearing it up. then walk into these woods without a care :rant: there is also access to these woods further up the road which they cant be bothered to walk uphill to and take a shortcut by this path :roll: so do me a favour and tell someone who cares mate

This path, that you are coveting, is being used by your neighbours to access woodland. That there is another path available further up the hill does not make your attempt to acquire this land anything less than selfish in the extreme, and I very much hope that your neighbours challenge your actions and retain their access to the woods.

This sounds like it could possibly be crown land to me and could be very difficult to claim. Im not sure how the law stands now but in the past some crown land had a 30+ claim period in place. Even so the law is very technical on this subject. Over the years for instance I have seen people trying to claim crown land by fencing it off and letting horses/ponies graze on it. The fence and animals are usually removed within a year or two (or less) I presume this is due to local councils taking out court orders?

This sounds like it could possibly be crown land to me and could be very difficult to claim. Im not sure how the law stands now but in the past some crown land had a 30+ claim period in place. Even so the law is very technical on this subject. Over the years for instance I have seen people trying to claim crown land by fencing it off and letting horses/ponies graze on it. The fence and animals are usually removed within a year or two (or less) I presume this is due to local councils taking out court orders?

Why do you think it Crown Land, please?

Why do you think it Crown Land, please?

My mistake JS I was under the impression some wooded or forest areas were crown land.

Limitation Period – Special Circumstances

Although the period of occupation is usually 12 years (or 10 for registered land) there are circumstances in which a longer period is needed. Those periods are as follows:

crown land – 30 years

crown foreshore – 60 years

land belonging to a dissolved company (because a dissolved company’s assets belong to the Crown as bona vacantia)

bishops, vicars and certain other officers of the Church of England (known as spiritual corporations sole)

In addition, where the owner of the land is of unsound mind or a minor the limitation period may be suspended, as it may be where the cause of action has been deliberately concealed or where it arises from a mistake.

My mistake JS I was under the impression some wooded or forest areas were crown land.

Yes, some is- but I was wondering what factors caused you to believe that OP's land is.

like all these selfish dog owners who let their dogs do their business at the bottom of this path without clearing it up. then walk into these woods without a care :rant: there is also access to these woods further up the road which they cant be bothered to walk uphill to and take a shortcut by this path :roll: so do me a favour and tell someone who cares mate

Rather than creating what could be hostilities toward your neighbors, why don't you erect a dog poo bin and help out your fellow man, that way no more dog poop and people still get to enjoy the woods. You'd just need to do the simple task of emptying it every so often.

"Strictly speaking, all land in England, Wales and Scotland belongs to the Crown. Freehold is ownership of an estate in land rather than the land itself."

I never knew that.

Amazing what you can read on Wikipaedia!

"Strictly speaking, all land in England, Wales and Scotland belongs to the Crown. Freehold is ownership of an estate in land rather than the land itself."

I never knew that.

Amazing what you can read on Wikipaedia!

Yes. A freeholder is, technically, a tenant in fee simple.

What does that mean? Let's call the freeholder 'F'.

F's fee simple is a legal estate held by F, then F's heirs, then F's heirs' heirs, etc.

So it continues until someone dies with no heirs; and that's how 'Bona Vacantia' arises to vest title in the Crown as the ultimate owner.

Yes, some is- but I was wondering what factors caused you to believe that OP's land is.

Because it could be part of the woodland it enters? An old ancient footpath? ( I have not read the whole thread) I also wondered, is it normal practice for a solicitor to advise a person to claim land? As we know unregistered land does not always mean its there for the taking.

Just an opinion but the OP could have a job on his hands, some dog walkers can be a law unto themselves.

Edited by only_me

Yes. A freeholder is, technically, a tenant in fee simple.

What does that mean? Let's call the freeholder 'F'.

F's fee simple is a legal estate held by F, then F's heirs, then F's heirs' heirs, etc.

So it continues until someone dies with no heirs; and that's how 'Bona Vacantia' arises to vest title in the Crown as the ultimate owner.

Interesting - thank you.

I bow to your greater knowledge!

Rather than creating what could be hostilities toward your neighbors, why don't you erect a dog poo bin and help out your fellow man, that way no more dog poop and people still get to enjoy the woods. You'd just need to do the simple task of emptying it every so often.

So you think that Erecting a dog poo bin would stop the problem of the inconsiderate dog owners not picking up after their dogs? You must live in LaLa Land. You not only expect someone who does not use the land to allow their dog to defecate to provide a bin but empty it too.

Have you not thought that the OP. might want to be rid of the terrible stink of excrement and urine alongside their house that the lazy dog owners have created by their inconsiderate behaviour.